Author Topic: couple nice gills  (Read 6230 times)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
couple nice gills
« on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Not monsters but very nice gills...all released to try to get to that 11" mark

10 3/4

10 1/2

]

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: couple nice gills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Nice fish there! Good eating!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

ICE REBEL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Nice fish. I guess you never hit the 11" mark? They would have been very good eatin if he kept them. :laugh:

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:57 PM »
No 11's but they are chunky...should have taken some head on shots.  I didn't weight any of the big ones but a 9 1/2 weighed 15oz so the few 8's and 8 1/2's i kept had real nice fillets.
]

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Not monsters?! :o Those are some of the biggest gills ever posted here--beautiful bulls!

More on water conditions & bait used...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Yea Baby!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Not monsters?! :o Those are some of the biggest gills ever posted here--beautiful bulls!

More on water conditions & bait used...

i actually did the best on one of my custom painted marmooska's size 10 in yellow/black and orange/black.  I prefer to use a leader so i tend to stay away from the fiskas since so spendy with large bass looming beneath.  dont get me wrong these are some of the nicer gills i have caught in the last 10 years however where i live monsters are pushing the 2lb mark and 11"+...they are rare though and even more since the drought we experienced in early 2000's.  Our lakes are shallow and pretty fertile, the best gill spots are in 2-3fow in the reeds or deeper water around 5' with coontail/cabbage beds.
]

Offline drake hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Those are some pigs!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Nice gills my man,I've fished a great gill lake for 40 years in Pa. and get several hundred fish a each  winter in the 8-9 3/4 inch mark but a handful of 10 plus every year. A 10 inch gill is hard to come by even on a great fishery.Giant bulls are without a doubt my favorite fish.

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:38 PM »
nice gills
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:39 PM »
Our lakes are shallow and pretty fertile, the best gill spots are in 2-3fow in the reeds or deeper water around 5' with coontail/cabbage beds.

Amazing the diversity of trophy gill waters. I'm chasing 10's in 20' depths of clear, trout-stocked water. Your catching 'em in a few feet!

Still waiting for someone to post pic of a 11" bull ::)

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Those pictures make me hungry! I gotta grab a jig rod, breadcrumbs and head up there.
I guess you're letting those big guys grow up to 11" then catch them again? Good luck and good fishing.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Incredible hogs.. congrats.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Those are some nice size gills. Glad to hear you released them.
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline fishon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Great bunch of fish. Good Catch!

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:54 PM »
Nice NE gills! 

Offline Sam Quint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:44 AM »
very nice gills  :clap:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:11 AM »
"not monsters"? those things are huge! around here it's hard to find any that reach 10" let alone surpass the mark! keep up the good work!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:16 AM »
those are some NICE gills man. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:42 AM »
I've posted these pics on a Ney York thread. Oneida lake produces large quantities of above average size gills and seeds also. A couple pics of the norms. I tend to release gills over 10" to let them reproduce again, unless i'm in a tourney.

We get nice crappie in the mix also

This pic is my son holding a typical 10" gill in one hand, and a 12 5/8" in the other. I won a derby that day with the biggest panny. Weighed in at just under 1 1/4 lbs. if my memory serves me right. (Last ice season). Just wanted to show ya panfish addicts that NYS harbors some quality fish also! ;D Keep up the pics people. this thread is cool.

Offline Jay K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:00 AM »
Those gills are amazing.  I've only had luck with an average 6" gills in the waters I fish.  The pumpkinseeds are even less impressive at an average 2-3".  Lucky ducks.

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:09 AM »
Indeed....very very nice fish!  Good for you!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:37 PM »
That 12" (!?) is a BEAST; Fishing Mechanic  :thumbsup:

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:37 AM »
a 10.5" i finally put a scale to...1lb 8oz

10" not the biggest but the prettiest of the year

]

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Very nice fish for sure. :bow: To fishing mechanic; you should enter the IS Tourney; a 12'' gill is probably enough to win in any given year.

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:03 PM »
a 10.5" i finally put a scale to...1lb 8oz
(Image removed from quote.)
10" not the biggest but the prettiest of the year
(Image removed from quote.)

Any advantage to using a fly reel on your jig pole?  I have never seen that before.

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:14 PM »
I love a fly reel on a jigging rod with panfish, they reel pretty fast, and give a nice little battle, adds to the fun, I keep the flyline on as backing, and add about 30yds of 1 or 2 lbs. braid via a bloodknot. Bottom left is my only pic of my rig. Wife and son also, they let me fish out in the rain that day! ;D

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Makes sense I will have to try it.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:16 AM »
RYNO,I want to catch one of these things before I die,I have fished for over 52 years and have never caught one like that . I have got some in the 9and 1/2 ,but never one as big as that thing. I hope to get one some day that is as close to yours. Good for you letting this beast go . Male or female,this is good stock. Some people keep these fish,witch is ok to,but I think that if you let them go,he is still out there.  Jerry

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:33 PM »
RYNO,I want to catch one of these things before I die,I have fished for over 52 years and have never caught one like that . I have got some in the 9and 1/2 ,but never one as big as that thing. I hope to get one some day that is as close to yours. Good for you letting this beast go . Male or female,this is good stock. Some people keep these fish,witch is ok to,but I think that if you let them go,he is still out there.  Jerry

I am a bit spoiled living so close to the Nebraska Sandhills that have some great gill factories.  I actually take more enjoyment from shooting some quick pics and tossing em back down the hole than eating them.  Dont get me wrong...i have been guilty in the past (prior to our drought) of dragging some nice gills home, lesson learned and never again.  I am actually not sure what i would do if i ever ice one over 11" as i would want a mount of it but would feel compelled to release it :-\  I think i am going to have a piece of graph paper laminated and will carry it with on every trip so i can get exact measurements along with lots of pics.

Currently I am lobbying my local fish and game dept on putting further restictions on a couple lakes that are execellent perch and gill fisheries but rather small in size and get heavy fishing pressure when the word of large gills and perch is mentioned.  Just last week i had to endure an afternoon of 4 guys fishing next to me and my buddy that were keeping every gill they caught and had no intentions of keeping it on the down low.  What finally got me as mad as a hornet was when they were leaving and counting their fish they didnt know how many they had some were over and one was short...who knows how many got hauled off.  I know 15 pannies dont equal alot of table fare but one has to practice a degree of self conservation if the local laws wont.  Everybody likes to catch trophy fish but this cant be accomplished if everybody hauls em home.  An eight inch gills eats just the same as a ten incher.  The last 4 trips i havent even kept a single fish...if i need some more gill fillets i'll bring home some 8's or hit a larger lake that has large year classes of the 8-8 1/2's. I absolutely love tightlining quality gills and will do about anything to do it...even if that means lobbying local fish and game departments to preserve some quality fisheries.
]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.