Author Topic: what rod to get?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline rjm123

• IceShanty Rookie
what rod to get?
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:15 PM »
looking to get a new `gill rod. i usually fish w/ small jigs and a flasher. i was mostly looking at a 24" or 28" jason mitchell meat stick or a 28" st. croix premier UL.  any experience with these rods or suggestions for others?

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what rod to get?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:27 PM »
i was using a 24 inch ice blue UL fishing for gills yesterday with a 3mm fiska was a blast. they are fiberglass i no blah blah but best of all they are cheap and easy to replace if ya happen to break one.   theres another post on here where guys are saying they have had problems with the meatstick rod tips breaking off. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=172562.0  that was the thread RG was one of the guys said that his tip broke off on the meatstick

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:49 PM »
The St. Croix's are very nice rods indeed. If you're willing to spend some money though, you should definitely consider a Thorne Bros. Power Noodle. Pricey yes, but IMO they make the best rods out there.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:27 AM »
The jason mitchell meatstick is a good choice, personally I did not like the St. Croix premier rods.

If you have the extra cash, the St.Croix Legend is a great gill rod it is about $15 more then the meatstick and then you have the Thorne Bros Power Noodle, excellent rod, it is similar to the meatstick, but more sensative in the blank and a stronger more durable tip. (they will run you about $60)

Offline rjm123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Thinking more towards the Jason Mitchell now. Any recommendation on the length? Are they basically the same action?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I like the 28" model

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:46 PM »
If you are jigging deeper water, go with the 28" ML St. Croix.  The extra backbone will come in handy. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I purchased the 20" model and I would definately recommend either the 24 or 28.  I mostly fish panfish and didn't actually like the meatstick, couldn't feel strikes cause it was so short. I am in the process of switching all of my rods to the St. Croix bobber system.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I just got my Clam True Blue 24 UL in the mail today and it looks like it'll replace all my other UL rods.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Try the action in the store get the one you like,  I like a 24 to 26" medium with a extra fast tip, but if your like me you'll end up with at least a 100 different ones before too long.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Not sure about what would be best, but the most fun rod i have is a Currents Noodle rod. Makes those little 'gills feel like monster crappies.

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:26 PM »
I purchased the 20" model and I would definately recommend either the 24 or 28.  I mostly fish panfish and didn't actually like the meatstick, couldn't feel strikes cause it was so short. I am in the process of switching all of my rods to the St. Croix bobber system.
haha trade you my st. croixs with bobbers for the meatsticks! I fish for pannies also and am slowly getting rid of my rods with st croix bobbers and replacing them with meatsticks. One of the things that make fishing great, different things work for different people!
Pig
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:00 AM »
looking to get a new `gill rod. i usually fish w/ small jigs and a flasher. i was mostly looking at a 24" or 28" jason mitchell meat stick or a 28" st. croix premier UL.  any experience with these rods or suggestions for others?

The St. Croix Premier UL is more responsive than the JM Meat Stick.  However the backbone to those Meat Stick will be able to put the hook set on and tame fish with ease.  They are kind of dull in the feel aspect and your hands will be able to feel a lot more with the St. Croix Premier.  After all sometimes it's the thump of the hit that you give a hook set on and seeing the rod tip move is sometimes too late.  Unless the gills are very finicky, the ML power is a very good utility rod.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rjm123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:42 AM »
what about a 27" frabill "bro" quick tip? i think i`m gonna order from fish usa and they don`t have the jm rods. i have another "bro" rod that i like.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I have owned a frabill quicktip and a jason mitchell meatstick, very similar rods, I sold my quick-tip to a buddy because i preferred the meatstick.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.