The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363783 times)

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
Trouble with my Shark z51.
« Reply #2670 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:15 PM »

Eskimo Shark z51 issues
« on: Today at 12:02 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
Got a brand new z51 Eskimo shark a few years ago and man did the thing rio through ice

Well last year ran into a problem where there was a piece of debris messing up the fuel filter and not letting it suck any gas so it would not run...well got that fixed and now it runs- starts right up

A guy had it all apart for me trying to troubleshoot the problem before he found out this was the issue. Put it back together and when I go to run it - when you hit the throttle after it starts , it like bogs or hesitates for a second before it takes off. If i hold the throttle in like I'm drilling a hole it will rip for a little bit then it will kinda big down in the power a little bit.

I just ordered the tune up kit maybe that will help. I am no mechanic and not very good at these things. If anyone has any idea of something to try to solve this issue I would appreciate it - I miss my shark that just rips through ice without hesitation.

I use premium gas with the Stihl synthetic oil mixed 50:1

Thanks in advance
Jason :(

Offline Qdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2671 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:19 PM »
The centering point on my 20 to 25 year old Eskimo needs some attention.  Is there a certain technique I need to follow when sharpening it?  Is the process different than what it takes to sharpen the blades?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2672 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:34 PM »
The centering point on my 20 to 25 year old Eskimo needs some attention.  Is there a certain technique I need to follow when sharpening it?  Is the process different than what it takes to sharpen the blades?

I don't find details of one that far back.

Best contact the Eskimo maker: Ardisam is helpful as heck, call them at 1 715 822 2415.

Tom

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Trouble with my Shark z51.
« Reply #2673 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:49 PM »

Eskimo Shark z51 issues
« on: Today at 12:02 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
Got a brand new z51 Eskimo shark a few years ago and man did the thing rio through ice

Well last year ran into a problem where there was a piece of debris messing up the fuel filter and not letting it suck any gas so it would not run...well got that fixed and now it runs- starts right up

A guy had it all apart for me trying to troubleshoot the problem before he found out this was the issue. Put it back together and when I go to run it - when you hit the throttle after it starts , it like bogs or hesitates for a second before it takes off. If i hold the throttle in like I'm drilling a hole it will rip for a little bit then it will kinda big down in the power a little bit.

I just ordered the tune up kit maybe that will help. I am no mechanic and not very good at these things. If anyone has any idea of something to try to solve this issue I would appreciate it - I miss my shark that just rips through ice without hesitation.

I use premium gas with the Stihl synthetic oil mixed 50:1

Thanks in advance
Jason :(

Give it a good drink of Sea Foam, put about 1/2 cup or so in the tank then start it up to get the Sea Foam into the carb. Then start it every day for a minute, while it sits in your shop for the next week the Sea Foam will dissolve the varnish that is built up in your carb. As long as you can get it to start this is the cheapest and easiest way to rectify your issue. If this method does not work then the carb cleaning and rebuild kit is the answer, but lots of fellows are unable to preform the cleaning/rebuild.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2674 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:32 PM »

Follow the factory edges and clean em up with a stone...

<°)))>{

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2675 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:47 AM »
7th season for my Eskimo Stingray.  Had to give it a squirt of starter fluid to get it to fire up, but it started on the first pull.  Had it out on the lake twice since and its still a one pull wonder.  Love that thing.

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2676 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:45 AM »
So I was out on the ice today with my z51 shark and it seemed to lose some power as it drilled through the ice - just doesn't have the power it did when I got it - and there was only 4-5" of ice

I have the sea foam in the tank so hoping that helps over time

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks in advance

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2677 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:52 AM »
So I was out on the ice today with my z51 shark and it seemed to lose some power as it drilled through the ice - just doesn't have the power it did when I got it - and there was only 4-5" of ice

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks in advance

Trufuel

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2678 on: Jan 01, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Change the fuel filter. Change the spark plug and change or clean the air filter.
<===Lefty===

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2679 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:30 PM »
What is Tru fuel

Changed all of those as well put the new tune up kit in it

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2680 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:56 PM »
True Fuel is a Mixed Fuel you add straight from the container. Premixed and ready to go. I believe it is Premium Gas and comes in 40 or 50:1 mixture.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2681 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:05 PM »

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks in advance

Check the air filter for gas and be sure to check all gas lines for tight connections or air leaks. Also make sure the gas cap vent is not malfunctioning, try drilling with the cap opened a little.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2682 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:39 PM »
There is some gas on the air filter what does that mean ?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2683 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:42 PM »
       Try drilling with the cap opened a little.

Brilliant. Gas mix all over everything.

Got a match?   

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2684 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Brilliant. Gas mix all over everything.

Got a match?   

Better not be, you drilling holes upside down again? (by the way, drilling with the cap cracked open a little was the advice given to me by eskimo when mine did the same thing.. ended up being a bad cap and a new cap fixed the issue)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2685 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:49 PM »
There is some gas on the air filter what does that mean ?

It means it leaked out of your cylinder, either from accidentally priming with the choke engaged or from flooding the auger. Try drying it a little with some paper towels being careful to not get gas all over yourself and then dispose of the towels responsibly.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2686 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Better not be, you drilling holes upside down again? (by the way, drilling with the cap cracked open a little was the advice given to me by eskimo when mine did the same thing.. ended up being a bad cap and a new cap fixed the issue)

So it actually is brilliant.

Musta over-filled this thing.  Dang.   Give me a match to burn this off the snow.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2687 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:30 AM »
Sounds like wither the choke is on or you over primed it. Choke should be in the up position. At least it is on mine. I have never used the choke on my auger. Never needed to.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2688 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:16 AM »
This stuff is better than a movie.  :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hanesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2689 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:19 PM »
I appreciate everyone's input and help

Offline MeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When I'm not fishin, I'm smoking meats.
« Reply #2690 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Ya know, I've been using this site for many years off and on and all this time, I forgot that I actually signed up as a member over 7 years ago LOL.
Anyhow, I recently acquired a new Eskimo Stingray 33 from a buddy who bought it 2 years ago, but never used it. Upon reading reviews online about it, it seems it has one flaw. A all plastic recoil housing that breaks at the most inopportune time. Is there an aftermarket assembly for this thats a bit more robust?
A rotten day of fishin is better than a good day at work.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2691 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:41 PM »
!!!  Jeez, you guys are rough on crap!! My 12 YO 'Mo Stingray hasn't broken one single thing...... ::) My cuz in Northern Minny who does guide work has never has his 13 yo 'ray break......

Offline MeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2692 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Something about when Eskimo started having their augers made in China instead of the good ole US of A. From my understanding, the older ones are better than the newer ones as far as materials go.

I have been running a early 80's eskimo for years, no problems at all other that the weight, but the deal on this stingray is just too good to pass up.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2693 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Something about when Eskimo started having their augers made in China instead of the good ole US of A. From my understanding, the older ones are better than the newer ones as far as materials go.

I have been running a early 80's eskimo for years, no problems at all other that the weight, but the deal on this stingray is just too good to pass up.

Maybe that's another reason for increasing the warranty to 5 years?     :unsure:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2694 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Maybe the Chinee couldn't count.... :woot: :roflmao:

I bought mine in 2005, and it's pretty bullet-proof. Better than the new ones. Kinda like trucks. Back into something with the bumper on yer new truck... :pinch:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2695 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Ya know, I've been using this site for many years off and on and all this time, I forgot that I actually signed up as a member over 7 years ago LOL.
Anyhow, I recently acquired a new Eskimo Stingray 33 from a buddy who bought it 2 years ago, but never used it. Upon reading reviews online about it, it seems it has one flaw. A all plastic recoil housing that breaks at the most inopportune time. Is there an aftermarket assembly for this thats a bit more robust?

I know, and fish with, several other eskimo owners and the only recoil issue I have heard of was when a rookie tried to start it like a lawn mower and ripped the cord right out of it. Eskimo even replaced it under warranty.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2696 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:57 PM »

I know, and fish with, several other eskimo owners and the only recoil issue I have heard of was when a rookie tried to start it like a lawn mower and ripped the cord right out of it. Eskimo even replaced it under warranty.

Well I can certainly see that as a cause for failure. Ive seen guys on the ice, one guy holds the auger, his buddy using both hands pulling for all hes worth lol.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2697 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Usually, when everything is right and properly primed ~ a 10" to 12" pull will get them running.      ;)2 :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2698 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Usually, when everything is right and properly primed ~ a 10" to 12" pull will get them running.      ;)2 :thumbsup: :clap:

That's what she said.  :woot:

Ha! Oh, the room-temp IQ kiddies out there.... ::) PROPER way to start is: Pull out recoil slightly until it "catches". Give a short, smooth, quick pull. Repeat if necessary. You're moving that piston one cycle or two...not trying to hit redline with it. 

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2699 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Hi,

I have a pretty simple question on a 4 year old Z51... is there an idle adjustment screw?  I believe mine needs to be tweaked up a bit this winter.  Struggling to idle - low RPM compared to previous winters.  Will idle for about 15 seconds (without assistance), than die off.

Yes, Non-oxy gas and a splash of Seafoam each winter....

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.