The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363773 times)

Offline 5nines

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2550 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:25 PM »
I touched mine up with a die grinder and it works great
the new style is definitely an upgrade but mine works (10'')

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2551 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Hey guys!  Just got my hands on one of these vintage beauties a few weeks ago.  Cleaned carb, new blades/blade cover, and pully in the recoil.  Unfortunately, she cuts like garbage even with new blades.  The center point is junk and welded in place.  Have you guys ever heard of cutting the center point out and putting a new replacement point in?  Just curious if this is feasible or should I count my my losses?

There have been a few guys on here who have torched the point off and tacked a new one on. Had to be PERFECTLY centered so make sure that is something you can do.

No chance of hitting the point with a file or grinder and putting a new edge on it? Doesn't have to be sharp per say, but have an edge to cut ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2552 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:11 PM »
The thing is(was) mangled!  I took my grinder to it last night, and think I did pretty darn good.  Will give it a shot when I get the chance.  Thanks for the feedback!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2553 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:37 PM »
ill check it today. doesn't smell like its flooding and after 10min. in the heat it fires right up w/ no choke or prime.  i could be wrong tho. ill let you guys know. thanks.
after 2 weeks of my mechanic  frigging w/ it, come to find out its a bad coil. thing hasn't drilled 20 holes! tried it outside at -10f, no fire . 5 min. in the shop , theres fire. coil only works when pre warmed. he says the coils the same as in jonsered chainsaws which have had the same problem in cold weather. he's had good luck w/ a aftermarket coil from napa so he's gonna try one of those. should have sent it back to ardisam while it was still under warranty. il be happy once it runs period.

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2554 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I just bought an Ardisam Eskimo 8900.  It's missing the cover for the air filter.  it also has no primer bulb. anyone out there with this model that has any info on this model and is it a workhorse or a stubborn mule?  p.s i haven't got this one started yet waiting on carb rebuild kit.  any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2555 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:40 PM »
I just bought an Ardisam Eskimo 8900. 

Been loving mine since it was new 24 years ago...

The page before this one has pictures and more comments..

Doesn't need a primer.. Bullet proof work horse..

You probably don't need to rebuild the carb..

<*)))>{

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2556 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:42 PM »
I have an Eskimo auger very similar to the one in the picture of the OP.
My only beef is they could have put the pull-start rope 90 degrees from where it is now so you could get a better dold of one of the handle while pulling and trying to start it. Runs great on pre-mixed 40:1 fuel, and very little maintenance in 20 some years.
If I switch, it will be to an electric.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2557 on: Feb 23, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Rebuilt the carb and changed out the fuel line.  Fuel filter was gummed up so got that cleaned out and it's started like a champ.  can't wait to get it out on the ice to seee how she really does.  Will try and post some picture of her tonight.  Only paid $100 for the auger!!!
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2558 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Make sure it rev's up before you take it out and find out it doesn't. A lot of people clean out carbs but miss some gummed up parts.
<===Lefty===

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2559 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:30 PM »

Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2560 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:38 PM »
I do have a couple questions about the fine tuning.  How do you know you are getting the right RPM's?  Do you fine tune on the ice or at home?  IMO  I think the auger isn't spinning very quick but I have never dealt with my owning a gas auger and never paid much attention to how fast the blades are spinning when using others.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2561 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:36 PM »
I do have a couple questions about the fine tuning.  How do you know you are getting the right RPM's?  Do you fine tune on the ice or at home?  IMO  I think the auger isn't spinning very quick but I have never dealt with my owning a gas auger and never paid much attention to how fast the blades are spinning when using others.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks
Fine tuning of course would be made on the ice. I know my auger doesn't look like it is turning fast but it cuts great.
<===Lefty===

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2562 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:51 PM »
sounds good lefty2053. thanks for the help.   :tipup:
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2563 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Anyone sharpen their own blades?  Looks like mine could use a little tlc and would rather try to sharpen before replacing.  What could it hurt to test on an already dull blade right?
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2564 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I sharpen mine all the time. Mark the cutting edge with a magic marker and then using a fine Stone take off just enough to get the marker off. Depending on how bad the blades are you might go over them twice.
<===Lefty===

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2565 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:48 PM »
I sharpen mine all the time. Mark the cutting edge with a magic marker and then using a fine Stone take off just enough to get the marker off. Depending on how bad the blades are you might go over them twice.

what type of stone do you recommend?  p.s. thanks for all the advice...much appreciated!!!
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2566 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Only sharpen the top side, DO NOT TOUCH THE BOTTOM SIDE...

Any sharpening stone that works good, not a file or grinder of any type...

<*)))>{

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2567 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:19 PM »

I know these are not the greatest pics but this is what my blades currently look like.  what would anyone recommend?  sharpening or replacing?
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2568 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Sharpen them!

<*)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2569 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:37 PM »
A fine stone should work good. Remember in your pictures you are showing the bottom of the blade. The side towards the top is the cutting edge. Those do look pretty worn,and a little more work might be needed. Even a medium stone over them before the fine stone. Just make sure to keep the same cutting angle of the blades.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2570 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:43 PM »
I sharpened my quantum blades the other day. Seemed to help. I didnt go crazy with them as i dont have a backup pair. I just hit the cutting side on a fine stone, making sure to keep the same angle. Then i ran the backside across the stone once to remove any burs.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2571 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:53 PM »
A fine stone should work good. Remember in your pictures you are showing the bottom of the blade. The side towards the top is the cutting edge. Those do look pretty worn,and a little more work might be needed. Even a medium stone over them before the fine stone. Just make sure to keep the same cutting angle of the blades.

the first pic is from top of blade and second is from bottom.  Which do i sharpen.  the bottom has more of an angle.
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2572 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Sharpen the angle shown on the first picture, the side that faces the sky when drilling...

No matter how tempted, don't even think/ look anything on the side that faces the ice..

<°)))>{

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2573 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Sharpen the angle shown on the first picture, the side that faces the sky when drilling...

No matter how tempted, don't even think/ look anything on the side that faces the ice..

<°)))>{

so this will take more time than usual lol
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2574 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:56 AM »
Yes the first picture is the cutting side and second isn't. The cheapest place I have found for new blades is Sportsmans Warehouse. An on-line store called Moreoutdoors4you sells them at a decent price as well.
You don't have to use 2 different stones but if you have them it wouldn't hurt to go over the blades with the medium a little first.
<===Lefty===

Offline Duck Days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2575 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Yes the first picture is the cutting side and second isn't. The cheapest place I have found for new blades is Sportsmans Warehouse. An on-line store called Moreoutdoors4you sells them at a decent price as well.
You don't have to use 2 different stones but if you have them it wouldn't hurt to go over the blades with the medium a little first.
I decided to replace the blades.  I found them on Amazon for the same price as moreoutdoors4u but I got free 2 day shipping since i am a prime member.  I will still try to sharpen the old ones though just for the practice and if they seem to sharpen ok they will be my backup.
Fishin' Ain't Easy!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2576 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Always a good plan to have a backup set. I am by no means skilled at sharpening blades but mine come out pretty darn good.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2577 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Here is a video of my old gal...

19 inches of ice, 10 seconds through, 1.9 inches/second

Pretty good for almost 25 years of fence posts, decks, mail box posts and ice fishing..

<*)))>{

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2578 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Ok, so, got this girl at a yard sale for $40.  Didn't run very good so I had a guy rebuild carb for $40.  Didn't cut good, after further inspection realized it had mora blades on it, so replaced with quantum 8" for roughly $30.  No blade guard so ordered that as well for $15.  Took it out for a test and the plastic dog in the recoil broke.  Replacement part was $20.  The part was different then the original and I couldn't figure out the mod, so took her to a small engine shop.  $30 later she was a sweetheart again!!  So, back to the ice.  I almost cried when it wouldn't cut without applying pressure.  Researched and came to the conclusion the chisel tip needed sharpened.  It was pretty bad, and I wasn't too confident in my job based on the amount of material I had to remove to get a point.  Soooo, ordered a new tip for $30 ($10 fast shipping).  Took it to my cousin wo cut out the old tip, and welded in the new.  Couldn't wait to get it back out there, and I was not disappointed again.  Glad to report is put her up against any newer auger out there!!! I'm still smiling:)⬅️   See!!!! 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2579 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I figured out $215.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.