The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363756 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2520 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:54 AM »
ill check it today. doesn't smell like its flooding and after 10min. in the heat it fires right up w/ no choke or prime.  i could be wrong tho. ill let you guys know. thanks.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2521 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:24 PM »
They don't make the Barracuda augers anymore and I'm not sure what year they stopped making them.  The Barracuda plus has a 3 horse power Tecumseh engine where the Barracuda has a 2 horse power Tecumseh engine.  These engines are great engines that will last a long time with proper maintenance and give lots of power.  It came in 6, 8,9, an 10 inch models and the different model designations are 9003B (6 inch with Turbo- Cut blades), 9003B8 (8 inch with Turbo-Cut blades) 9003BQ8 (8 inch with Quantum blades), 9009BQ9 (9 inch with Quantum blades, and 9003B10 (10 inch with Quantum blades).  The current Eskimo augers use the Quantum blades but they still sell the Turbo-Cut blades and they work very well.  I have a 2003 Eskimo Mako with 8 inch Turbo-Cut blades and like it a lot and the bladed lasted a very long time.  I don't think the owner is lying to you about the price he paid, I know when I bought my Mako in 2003 I paid around $300.  These are great augers and true work horses.  If it was me, I'd buy and am sure you won't be disappointed with it. I'd ask him what he wanted for it and see if he's negotiable.  I would try to get it for around $200 to $250 at the most because you said it was never used.  Please let me know how you make out with it.

Offline MrMeiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2522 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:45 PM »
I don't have anything to add tonight other than to complain about my Mako starting on the 2nd pull, first thing in the morning, and then 3 hours later taking FOREVER to get started.

Still love my Mo though.
FLAG!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2523 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:14 PM »
MrMeiz, you may need to watch the fuel line as you prime and rid it of visible bubbles.

It should light right up.     ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2524 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:13 PM »
My only complaint with my Z51 Mo is it now starts a little harder then the last 4 years. Used to start on first pull but that is when I had a Ford Explorer and kept it in the car. I now have it in the back of my truck in the cold.But once it is started it usually starts on the first or second pull after that.
<===Lefty===

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2525 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Well I took back my 2nd defective HC40 and the local Runnings had the 8" Mako on clearance so I grabbed it. Got it all broke in and seems to run great out of the box, hopefully its the same out on the ice. I liked the propane but after 2 lemons and one of the demo ones at a local shop around here was burning oil I went back to the 2 stroke. If the Mako cuts anything like the HC40 I'll be happy that thing cut pretty good and I really like the Quantum blades.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2526 on: Feb 07, 2015, 12:14 PM »
I just got done cleaning the carb and tuning mine up...

She is running better than any new ones at this point, just falls through the ice! You guys with newer augers have something to look forward to. They run much better after being broken in.. Mine runs far better than new now...

Purrs like a kitten and screams like a wild cat! I'm so proud I took a couple pictures of my old gal...

I've had her since she was new, but cant remember exactly how long ago..

Does 24 years seem about right?

Go Mo!!

<*)))>{

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2527 on: Feb 07, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Nice one from the good ole days, Ice Scratcher.    ;)2

And a real fuel tank.      :thumbsup:

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2528 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Nice one from the good ole days, Ice Scratcher.    ;)2

And a real fuel tank.      :thumbsup:

Thanks man!

She has also put up way more fences and decks than any Jiffy, Ion, or Gator will ever come close to...

For the dirt I use an 8" Mora bit that's been welded to adapt...

When I bought mine you could buy the exact same auger at the hardware store in the summer, except it said Earthquake, instead of Eskimo..

<°)))>{

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2529 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:36 PM »
One of the bullet-proof ones. Ardisam (Eskimo)owns Earthquake. Love to see those older Tecumseh engines still purring along. Hang onto it!!!  :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2530 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:42 PM »
You put that darn Mora to good use.   (I'd leave it in the hole ).    :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: >:D

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2531 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I have no problems hand drilling holes but in the past had an older Jiffy that we named Rasputin because you couldn't kill the damn thing.  No idea where that thing is now.  I joked with my wife last fall that for Christmas I was going to get her a power auger even though she has never fished a day in her life.  A few weeks back I brought fish home much to her delight and she told me I had to ice fish as much as I possibly could.  I had her write this down.  Ice here in Wisconsin is past the point where it's a breeze to crank by hand.  The wife pretty much demanded that I have a power auger and was ready to buy one a few weeks back.  I convince her to hold off and I'll watch season ending sales. 

I was angling for either a 10 inch Nils or a 10 inch z71 if the price of either hit a sweet spot.  I share this story with a former coworker and he blurts out; "you need an auger? I just bought one and a week later won an Eskimo in a raffle..you want it, it's yours."  I ask what he wanted for it and he said $100.  Turns out it was a new in the box Mako....for $100.  No complaints there. 

It's not a model I gave much consideration to but once I got that thing set up and ran it I was blown away.  Fished today with a group of guys who have new or one year old Jiffys.  As they are in the process of blowing out rotator cuffs trying to start theirs I'm zipping hole after hole after starting it with basically a flick of the wrist.  Needless to say they came away impressed by a "$100" auger that was whipping the tail of their $500 machines.  Longtime jiffy guys who never considered anything else.  They had never seen an Eskimo run let alone use one and by the end of the day I got the feeling that the local classifieds might have a pair of newer Jiffys show up.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2532 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Love to see those older Tecumseh engines still purring along. Hang onto it!!!  :thumbsup:

Not a chance of getting rid of her... Starts on the first pull, even sitting in the cold..

Wouldn't trade her for anything, even new in the box!

<°)))>{

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2533 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Well my HC40 just turned into a 400 dollar boat anchor....Checking it out for a big trip tommorrow and it wouldn't keep running...Swapped tanks and have been messing with it for the Last hour...I can get it to run for a minute giving it full throttle but it won't idle...After it stalls I can see and hear propane flowing through the carb...Looks like I am done...Too much ice to hand auger.....Won't be able to get ahold of customer service until Monday then who knows??.Not a happy camper right now my days off are very limited and this auger may be screwing me..

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2534 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:47 PM »
32footsteps, that's why I'm glad I got a deal on a Mako.       :thumbsup:

Motocross, many stories similar to yours this year.    ??? ??? ???

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2535 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:00 PM »
32footsteps, that's why I'm glad I got a deal on a Mako.       :thumbsup:

Motocross, many stories similar to yours this year.    ??? ??? ???
I may go Electric....This is the second Eskimo I have had issues with...One Z51 right out of the box and now this one with less than 50 holes....I was pretty happy and I babied it but I am pretty darn frustrated now..

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2536 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:16 PM »
It's disgusting how things go, you get what you think is best for the money and it craps out, early on.     :%$#!:

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2537 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I've drilled about 150 holes on my Mako in the last 2 weeks and so far so good. The first few times out it didn't cut as fast as the HC40 but I think after it is breaking in more it cuts just as fast if not faster. I had a little trouble starting it in the cold but I switched out that Torch plug for a NGK and seems to start a lot better. I was in the market for the Z51 but got a great deal on a Mako and I'm glad I didn't dish out the extra $$$.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2538 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Dang, 150 holes, lets hope you have a fish story or two, with that many holes.    ;)2

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2539 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Dang, 150 holes, lets hope you have a fish story or two, with that many holes.    ;)2

Unfortunately no and I can count how many fish I caught on both hands  :'(  Either way I wanted to give'er a good workout to see how it held up. Good thing is I think I'll get about 170 holes per tank of gas through 2-2.5 feet of ice.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2540 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I've drilled about 150 holes on my Mako in the last 2 weeks and so far so good. The first few times out it didn't cut as fast as the HC40 but I think after it is breaking in more it cuts just as fast if not faster. I had a little trouble starting it in the cold but I switched out that Torch plug for a NGK and seems to start a lot better. I was in the market for the Z51 but got a great deal on a Mako and I'm glad I didn't dish out the extra $$$.
what NGK plug did you put in??

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2541 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I also did the NGK switch. Starts and runs great now. Was a little sluggish in cold weather before the switch. Torch plugs are junk...

NGK BM6A is what you want. I believe gap instructions are in the manual.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2542 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:46 PM »
I also did the NGK switch. Starts and runs great now. Was a little sluggish in cold weather before the switch. Torch plugs are junk...

thanks

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2543 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:31 AM »

Yep exactly what he said ^^^

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2544 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Note: the plug might be different in the stingray or z series.. BM6A for mako. It says in the manual what plug you need, if its not NGK then just look on a plug reference sheet and find the matching NGK plug and gap it accordingly.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2545 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:04 PM »
Same Plug for the 33, 43 and 51 CC Augers.
<===Lefty===

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2546 on: Feb 11, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Going on day 3 with no course of action on my propane auger other than an hour and a half drive for nothing....I have been leaving messages with the POC they gave me for 2 days with no call back....Maybe he is out of the office...I just left another message if I don't hear from him I guess it is time to ask for a manager...I'll try again this afternoon...

Offline 5nines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2547 on: Feb 11, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Fraternal Order of Eskimo Auger Owners. I like it, IT SINGS !!
 (Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

TOO FUNNY

I am still using an auger identical to this today
I don't even recall ever changing the spark plug ------ gas, oil and blades are all it has needed
Too bad they don't make them like this any more

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2548 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:29 PM »
Hey guys!  Just got my hands on one of these vintage beauties a few weeks ago.  Cleaned carb, new blades/blade cover, and pully in the recoil.  Unfortunately, she cuts like garbage even with new blades.  The center point is junk and welded in place.  Have you guys ever heard of cutting the center point out and putting a new replacement point in?  Just curious if this is feasible or should I count my my losses?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2549 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Hey guys!  Just got my hands on one of these vintage beauties a few weeks ago.  Cleaned carb, new blades/blade cover, and pully in the recoil.  Unfortunately, she cuts like garbage even with new blades.  The center point is junk and welded in place.  Have you guys ever heard of cutting the center point out and putting a new replacement point in?  Just curious if this is feasible or should I count my my losses?

Shoot, sounds like the most important part works fine...

With a little bit of welding and machine work you can get just about any clockwise bit to work...

<*)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.