The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363809 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2490 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:58 PM »
No, NON-OXY gas.......gas without ethanol. (non-oxygenated) Octane has nothing to do with ethanol. You do not need premium or higher octane gas in your auger; they're not designed for, nor do they need it. Ethanol-free just happens to run a higher octane because of the lack of alcohol. Usually runs 91 rated. Here's a list of non-oxy sellers to find your closest supplier.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2491 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Hey everybody.

Finally got my Eskimo Z51! Just waiting to unbox it and check it out. I would like to get it out on the ice tomorrow hopefully.

The only issue is: I don't know if the auger comes with oil, and if not, I know that no place around here sells the viper 2-cycle that Eskimo recommends.

My question is: do you guys know if the auger comes with a package of oil? Is the viper 2-cycle all you guys run in them? What about amsoil or a similar brand.

This is my first power auger, so I don't want to screw it up or voiD the warranty or something. But I would really like to get it out on the ice soon!
Go to your local hardware store and buy any good 2 stroke oil. It does not need to be viper brand oil. Don't over think which brand oil. Almost any will be just fine for that auger.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #2492 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Well! I got the auger, got it all gassed up with non-Oxy gas and valvoline 2 cycle at 50:1.

Took a little longer to get fired up, but that's to be expected as it's -5 degrees actual temperature right now. Unfortunately, I could not wait until tomorrow to fire it up, so I drove to the nearest lake.

I fired her up (started much faster at the lake) and let her run for about a minute before cutting a hole. She tears Into the ice for the first 10"s or so, but then kind of bogs down a bit towards the end of the hole. I notice that if I lift the auger to clear some chips out of the hole that she would start cutting good again. Is this typical for a Shark Z51? If so, it's no issue, I'm just curious.  Could it be that since she is new she needs to be broken in more before she cuts perfectly?

Anyways, you can tell it's a quality product by just looking at it! Can't wait to spend some quality time with her tomorrow!

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2493 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Well! I got the auger, got it all gassed up with non-Oxy gas and valvoline 2 cycle at 50:1.

Took a little longer to get fired up, but that's to be expected as it's -5 degrees actual temperature right now. Unfortunately, I could not wait until tomorrow to fire it up, so I drove to the nearest lake.

I fired her up (started much faster at the lake) and let her run for about a minute before cutting a hole. She tears Into the ice for the first 10"s or so, but then kind of bogs down a bit towards the end of the hole. I notice that if I lift the auger to clear some chips out of the hole that she would start cutting good again. Is this typical for a Shark Z51? If so, it's no issue, I'm just curious.  Could it be that since she is new she needs to be broken in more before she cuts perfectly?

Anyways, you can tell it's a quality product by just looking at it! Can't wait to spend some quality time with her tomorrow!
Yes that's typical for any auger. I found that if its thick ice I'll some times pull up the auger to clean out the hole and it helps it not to bog down. AND always drill straight and never leave it standing up in the ice

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #2494 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Yes that's typical for any auger. I found that if its thick ice I'll some times pull up the auger to clean out the hole and it helps it not to bog down. AND always drill straight and never leave it standing up in the ice

Thank You! I was surprised that it would just stop drilling, but that makes sense!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2495 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Choke slip by chance? My mako 43cc went through 28" brand new and never slowed down.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2496 on: Jan 09, 2015, 10:14 PM »
I am now a proud owner of a brand new 8 inch HC40. Filled it up with oil threw a can of propane on and fired it up, took about 10 pulls to get it going but was off to the races after that. I had to take it to a nearby lake to see how it cuts..Went through 2 feet of ice pretty quick without bogging down seems like a pretty solid auger.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #2497 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Choke slip by chance? My mako 43cc went through 28" brand new and never slowed down.

Hmmmm. No, I don't think so. Does the gas cap need to be vented or something?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2498 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Hmmmm. No, I don't think so. Does the gas cap need to be vented or something?

Read your manual. The clutch takes a while to break in and grab fully. That's normal. A short break in period running it for a bit, slowly advancing RPM's, would have helped a lot, too.
 Oh, and your cap is vented. ;)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #2499 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:47 AM »
Read your manual. The clutch takes a while to break in and grab fully. That's normal. A short break in period running it for a bit, slowly advancing RPM's, would have helped a lot, too.
 Oh, and your cap is vented. ;)

Seriously, I owe you one. Thanks, buddy!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2500 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Anytime! Glad to help.  ;D Take it out and run it a bit...slowly rev it up, let it idle, rev it a little higher...run it a good 15 mns and let it cool down. Then ya can start rippin' the ice. Always good to run a new engine for at least a bit before ya put the boots to it.  Good luck! ;)

Offline dann6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2501 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:48 PM »
hows the eskimo stringray ? Its $255 at mills on sale  is it a decent auger ?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2502 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:51 PM »
About as good as any. If you can swing it, this is a pretty good deal for $30 more. http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo/eskimo-mako-43cc-8-quantum-ice-auger Free shipping and no tax unless you are in MN.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kavady

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2503 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:41 PM »
I've got the mako 10" and really like it.  Used it last year and pulled it out today and it fired right off.  i drilled 24" thick ice last year and had no problems doing so.

Offline Mricefish20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2504 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Went fishing this weekend and put new blades on the auger and started up fine but the auger wouldn't penetrate the ice and   last year no problems ..Was wondering if I could have put the blades on backwards or does the point need to be sharpened? Can some one post a pic of there blades on correctly thankS! 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2505 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Some pics on this older thread...the beveled part should be down, facing the ice.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=254847.msg2716586#msg2716586

Offline Mricefish20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2506 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Some pics on this older thread...the beveled part should be down, facing the ice.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=254847.msg2716586#msg2716586
Much appreciated rebels !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2507 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Glad I could help!!! How did it turn out? You have them on right?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2508 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Yes cutting edge facing up towards the motor.
<===Lefty===

Offline IDFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2509 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:22 PM »
I apologize if this has been covered on here before already but i didn't really want to search through 126 pages :)  The pull cord on my 33cc Stingray broke this weekend and i was just wondering if there are instructions on how to replace the string without having the recoil spring pop out.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2510 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:50 PM »
It's a simple fix, just don't take it apart that far. Get a new cord before beginning.

Might be a good idea to have an extra pair of skilled hands close by.

If you don't have a manual you can download it here:  (3rd from the bottom, S33Q8)

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/downloadcenter/kb_results.asp?type=category

Offline jonnywalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2511 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Does anyone know where online to buy a replacement gas cap for the S33 stingray auger cheaper than the ridiculous eskimo prices?  I have searched and seems like they all are selling for around 14.99.  I checked some local outdoor equipment stores and they have none that fit.

Thanks in advance.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2512 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:41 AM »
Does anyone know where online to buy a replacement gas cap for the S33 stingray auger cheaper than the ridiculous eskimo prices?  I have searched and seems like they all are selling for around 14.99.  I checked some local outdoor equipment stores and they have none that fit.

Thanks in advance.
Seen them at Sportsmans warehouse. Might check these 2 out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ardisam-2-Cycle-Eskimo-Earthquake-Engines-Self-Venting-Self-Retaining-Gas-Cap-/361179447900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5417f9025c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ardisam-300401-Viper-Engines-Eskimo-Earthquake-Gas-Cap-Powerheads-Edger-Tillers-/361179447910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5417f90266
<===Lefty===

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2513 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:51 PM »
got a question. figured the best place to post is here. i have a z71 shark i bought new last year.. since I've owned it i can't get it to start cold. I've tried to use the instructions on the auger but won't start till' i put the heat to her in the truck or shack. once started no problems. runs fine. i just can't rely on it and go back to my old jiffy. anybody got a trick to get this thing to start. was 10f this morning and i had to put it in the truck after cranking for 10min. 10 min. in the heat and she fired w/ no choke or prime..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2514 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Are you over priming it? I push the primer one or two times at best and never use the choke. If it is real cold out I will use the choke. Last time out -4 and needed the choke.
<===Lefty===

Offline JoeDirtToo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2515 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Thoughts on a barracuda plus.  Are they still  being made?  Are they a good model?  I found one on craigslist that is still in the box, if they quit making them, when did they stop?  Any advantages/disadvantages over another model. 

Seller claims to have pd 425.  Does that seem high or are they that much new?

tia

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2516 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:28 PM »
Thoughts on a barracuda plus.  Are they still  being made?  Are they a good model?  I found one on craigslist that is still in the box, if they quit making them, when did they stop?  Any advantages/disadvantages over another model. 

Seller claims to have pd 425.  Does that seem high or are they that much new?

tia

Looks to be discontinued, here's a link right to the manufacture, Ardisam Inc.     ;)2

http://www.geteskimo.com/Foundations/Store/shopdetail.asp?params=893B8*80**Barracuda_Ice_Auger

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2517 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Are you over priming it? I push the primer one or two times at best and never use the choke. If it is real cold out I will use the choke. Last time out -4 and needed the choke.
i do what is written on the auger starting instructions. prime 2xs then full choke. if not started ,2 more primes and full choke. still doesn't start . this auger has less than 5 hrs. use on it.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2518 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:31 PM »
i do what is written on the auger starting instructions. prime 2xs then full choke. if not started ,2 more primes and full choke. still doesn't start . this auger has less than 5 hrs. use on it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2519 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:08 PM »
I would pull the plug and make sure it is burning correct. I wouldn't use the Choke unless it doesn't start.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.