The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363776 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2430 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:38 PM »
And this leaves us both wishing Ardisan made a 6" power bit.     :bow:

I would be very happy to hook a fish that would wedge in a 5" hole.     :roflmao:
Tom

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2431 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Well, I am one unsatisfied Eskimo owner....

My 3.5 year old Z51 just took 2 pulls to start -- coming out of 'summer' hibernation.

Last year, it cranked on my 1st pull.

All in jest, of course....

Best bang for your buck in augers.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2432 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Had me going there. I have started mine 3 times so far. The First time I didn't prime enough and it took 3 pulls. The next two times it started on the first pull. Mine is over 4 years old now.
<===Lefty===

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2433 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Disregard; Rebels SS is super fast with responses...

Well, the leak I had fixed last year is back at it again. It's  leaking through the grommet inside the gas tank.  I had JB Welded it around the outside of the tank last year, and it worked fine.

Not so much this year.

Is there a good contact at Eskimo customer service?  I think someone had mentioned an Eva a few years ago.  I'd like to ask them a few questions, before ordering parts.

Thanks.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2434 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I can't think of his name, which is embarrassing because he was a very nice man! He was the head of the parts/repair department I think. VERY nice guy, helped me with two small issues I had with my mako last year. Switch was bad and then my gas cap wouldn't self-vent by the end of the season. He had me try a couple things and then agreed with my assessment of the problems and sent me replacement parts at no cost. Came next day delivery as well! Best customer service I've had in a LONG time.

If you can, you might want to wait until middle of next week or so.. I'm sure a lot of people bought augers over black friday and will be calling them with questions. You'll probably get a better response by waiting.

The number I have is 800-345-6007, and then they transferred me a couple times to the right dept.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2435 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Very true, he not only was, but, believe it or not, still is the same nice man.    He doesn't work for Ardisam and never has.  He doesn't have parts either.

The contact person there is Eva.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2436 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Okay gator, I'm not sure if you are trying to discredit me and actually know of the situation there or not. But the man I talked to was from Ardisam and introduced himself as the head of a dept. He walked me through some steps on my auger and then said "okay, you definitely need a new switch. Do you have the plastic rocker or metal toggle?" I told him metal toggle and he replied "I'm putting in the shipping request with our shipping dept right now", he took my info and and the next day I had a package from ardisam in WI with the parts I needed. This man was not named Eva. So you either have never spoken to the man I have, or are full of BS.. or both.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bbrown009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2437 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:49 AM »
This is encouraging! I just bought a brand new 8" Z51 in the box on Friday. I never had an Eskimo before but have heard good things and getting too old to wrestle with my "widow maker" 30 year old +/- Jiffy 10". Couldn't pass up the deal, now we wait.......

Well, I am one unsatisfied Eskimo owner....

My 3.5 year old Z51 just took 2 pulls to start -- coming out of 'summer' hibernation.

Last year, it cranked on my 1st pull.

All in jest, of course....

Best bang for your buck in augers.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2438 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:43 AM »
This is encouraging! I just bought a brand new 8" Z51 in the box on Friday. I never had an Eskimo before but have heard good things and getting too old to wrestle with my "widow maker" 30 year old +/- Jiffy 10". Couldn't pass up the deal, now we wait.......
Just remember if you do have a problem(every auger maker has some lemons) just call up Eskimo and they will fix it. Or take it back and get another one.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2439 on: Nov 30, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Hmmm...I understand someone's tossing my name around on here...glad to help anytime!  Just dial 1-800-Rebelss !  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2440 on: Nov 30, 2014, 11:47 AM »
That much is true, or was until a reply got "modified" .  That took your "REB" out of the beginning of whatever reply it was in/on, and that may be back a page in the thread. Nothing derogatory was said about you nor anyone else, I just took up for you and the fact, you don't stock parts.

No harm intended, no harm done.  Just mis-typed, possibly due to inattention by the er, um, well, you know.   

The next time, if any false statements are posted, I WILL quote it to reveal idiocy and only hope it equates to education, rather than a cowardly modification.     ;)2

Offline Markenum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IceHole
« Reply #2441 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:02 AM »
I've been lurking this forum for quite some time but having some Auger problems of my own I am here.
Background: Having horrible luck with Eskimo. First bought a Z71, drilled half a dozen holes and it locked up. Clutch never engaged again and never drilled another hole. Having called Ardisam they told me to bring in into an authorized small engine place but with a 6 week wait I brought it back into place of purchase and settled for a Z51 Shark because that is all they had in stock.
So this Z51 has been nothing but a headache for me either. It just keeps dying without feathering the throttle. I've put off calling Ardisam because I have a strong feeling its gonna be the same scenario as last year(6 week wait) which with the ice season here again simply will not do. We already have a foot plus ice on local large lakes. Plus I do enjoy trouble shooting but at this point im over it.

Here's what I have done myself to problem solve, and I've literally spent 10+ hrs starting stopping and adjusting this fricken thing! Changed fuel(three times) adjusted idle, checked and dried air filter. I've pretty much came to the assumption that is a fuel issue. Family members told me it's running lean and probably because of the recent years EPA emission regulations(blah).

I've noticed a light tan colored oil dripping slowly out of the muffler I have not noticed this before but I may have overlooked it. Also I have primed it without the air filter on to see if it's something with the fuel line. This seems unusual to me but when i prime it it leaks down the air filter wall(outside the carb) and soaks up the fuel. My understanding is it should prime directly into the carb, not just piss all over the place. I have tried drying the filter multiple times to see if the extra fuel was the problem but to no avail. Gas is mixed 1 gal 87 no ethanol with viper 2cycle, and this last gallon I put 2 ounces seafoam but in the 3 previous gallons there has been no seafoam put in. Like I said I did not notice the tan oil out of muffler before but I did notice it now with the seafoam running through.

I really need some help here guys, I'm more than in a hurry to get on the ice and can only rely on buddies for so long before I need my auger. It's is not safe to have to lightly throttle between holes, after all this is how s*** hits the fan including fingers and toes.
Thanks for reading my essay lol

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2442 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:54 AM »
First off, Welcome to Iceshanty , Markenum.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable with fuel, ratios, additives and things that matter. 

A couple questions :  Has the auger been inverted ?    (what you describe could be gear lube)

About or exactly how much Viper oil is in the fuel ?

You do prime it with the choke open ?

This will help the next viewer with diagnosis.    And, we are hurrying .      ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2443 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I dont think its your fuel mix, as that is exactly what I run and the only tan oil I have seen came out of every orifice of the auger when I layed it on its side indoors once to thaw. Never done that since and never seen the oil. Scared the bajeezus out of me though.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2444 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Kevy, how can you surmise it's not his fuel mix ?  He never said anything about oil/gas ratio.  Go learn, anywhere, and know, learning ceases when you open your mouth.  I know you have the best intentions in this attempt to diagnose the augers problem(s), and thanks for that.  Sorry the sight of tan goo coming from all/every opening in your particular auger frightened the bajeezus out of you. It's just makes you tougher if not wiser.   Take care, things are looking up.

Offline Markenum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IceHole
« Reply #2445 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:49 PM »
The tan goo is only comig out of the muffler. The 3 gallons have all been mixed seperately with 1gal to 2.6oz viiper oil.  This last sepate gallon is fresh 87 no ethanol with 2.6oz viper oil and 2oz seafoam.
Also it has never been flipped upside down only laid on its side. The auger has been doing this straight out of the box. At first i just thpught it was part of the break in period.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2446 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:52 PM »
The tan goo is only comig out of the muffler. The 3 gallons have all been mixed seperately with 1gal to 2.6oz viiper oil.  This last sepate gallon is fresh 87 no ethanol with 2.6oz viper oil and 2oz seafoam.

Which is exactly what I use. I switch off every gallon. Straight viper then viper and 2oz seafoam. Its not your mix. Could be anadditive in your gas, about the only thing I can think of.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2447 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Hmm...How many times are you priming it? Twice is almost always sufficient...other than that, it's obviously flooding for some reason. I imagine your spark plug is now "wet-fouled", too..."under priming" is always better than "over priming".  ;)

Offline Markenum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IceHole
« Reply #2448 on: Dec 05, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Twice at most. Wort changing he plug i take it? What are the good signs on a plug and the bad so i know what im looking for
Thanks for the help so far. I think its the carb but anything helps

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2449 on: Dec 05, 2014, 01:52 PM »
For the plug:   Don't want to see white ,  too lean a mix.

Ideal is light tan

Any soot/black = too rich, maybe dirty air filter.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2450 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Easiest color to match with is about the color of a "Deer"...really!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2451 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Here you go.
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2452 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I'm surprised, no comments came in claiming they had taper seats in their augers, ha, in aluminum, ha.       :woot:

Good examples Reb & Lefty.      :bow:

Offline Markenum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IceHole
« Reply #2453 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Well I took a look at the plug it definitely has the rich mixture look. Dark black and covered in soot/particles. I wiped off the outer bit of it but will have to replace it when I get a chance. Anyone know what the plug is I've looked and the manual literally says Viper spark plug. lol. Not sure how it's so saturated considering I have always used the right mixture, primed in the off position, and primed lightly. I have returned the idle speed to factory a while back and only slightly adjusted it during the time it was off. Is this a sign of too high of an idle speed or pure carb problems?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2454 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:14 AM »
As you described, it's running way too rich.

Please read this through, to full understanding.   (And good luck)

Can you check the float level ?  If so, while you're that far into it, remove the float and needle and make sure the seat is not loose. Just try to unscrew it with your fingers. If it's tight and only if you have a properly fitted tool, remove the seat and check for any debris. ( a hair or tiny piece of fiber).  Reinstall the seat and do not over tighten it.  Inspect the pointed end of the float needle for damage with a lens and good light. Make sure no fuel is inside the float. (this is for brass floats)   To set/check the float level, the carb must be inverted, ha, it's attached to the engine, so, avoid fuel spilling, then invert the auger, noting the the edge of the float nearest the carb is parallel with that edge of the carb.  If this is beyond your capabilities, have it done.    As for the spark plug almost any semi modern auto parts house, or a better nicer parts house has charts as to which plug for that engine and should have the plug in stock.   Always filter every drop of fuel that goes into any small engine,  a clean Coleman fuel funnel with a brass screen is functional.  Special note : At no time touch the float to cause any pressure on the needle. If that occurs only once, replace the needle and seat, checking the float level again. The only pressure on the float seat ever, is only the weight of the float.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #2455 on: Dec 06, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Hey all,

I need some opinions from all of you faithful Eskimo owners out there.

How easy are they with customer service. I'm debating on whether or not I want to pick up a HC40... I understand that it's brand spanking new, so there might be some issues with it. But I rereally need a new auger.

Any opinions?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2456 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Hey all,

How easy are they with customer service. I'm debating on whether or not I want to pick up a HC40... I understand that it's brand spanking new, so there might be some issues with it. But I rereally need a new auger.

Any opinions?

I've had no need to contact customer service in the 4 years I've had mine. But that may indicate the proper care I've given it.  It's a Mako 43 cc. It has only had non-Ethanol 91 octane gas mixed with Amsoil Sabre 100:1   2 cycle 100% synthetic , mixed at my chosen ratio of 80 to 85 to 1.  Proper break-in, which is a misnomer, you don't break-in a 2 cycle engine, for if it breaks in it's worn out !!!!   There is a proper beginning start-up cool down sequence, posted in this thread.       The same fuel I began with, is still in the auger, just add more as needed. Fuel stabilizer is in Amsoil Sabre.  I think most problems are encountered by not TOTALLY filtering all fuel, start with a new, clean container, then clean it, add lube and fuel and filter it going into the auger.    It's just so caveman easy to avoid trouble.
As for customer service, we have listed the phone number in here with the contact person, and, how to identify yourself.  Good luck.    ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2457 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Hey all,

Any opinions?
I can't answer that, My Z51 has never had a problem. As for the New Silvertip Hand augers, I just tried mine out today and the thing eats ice. Very pleased with it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Markenum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IceHole
« Reply #2458 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:56 PM »
As you described, it's running way too rich.

Please read this through, to full understanding.   (And good luck)

Can you check the float level ?  If so, while you're that far into it, remove the float and needle and make sure the seat is not loose. Just try to unscrew it with your fingers. If it's tight and only if you have a properly fitted tool, remove the seat and check for any debris. ( a hair or tiny piece of fiber).  Reinstall the seat and do not over tighten it.  Inspect the pointed end of the float needle for damage with a lens and good light. Make sure no fuel is inside the float. (this is for brass floats)   To set/check the float level, the carb must be inverted, ha, it's attached to the engine, so, avoid fuel spilling, then invert the auger, noting the the edge of the float nearest the carb is parallel with that edge of the carb.  If this is beyond your capabilities, have it done.    As for the spark plug almost any semi modern auto parts house, or a better nicer parts house has charts as to which plug for that engine and should have the plug in stock.   Always filter every drop of fuel that goes into any small engine,  a clean Coleman fuel funnel with a brass screen is functional.  Special note : At no time touch the float to cause any pressure on the needle. If that occurs only once, replace the needle and seat, checking the float level again. The only pressure on the float seat ever, is only the weight of the float.
Don't have special tools or the knowledge to do check the float.
I changed the plug and had limited success. It is running better but it's still dying out. But running more consistant when it does. I' adjusted my idle speed up and it was able to run with the choke on 3/4 to full choke without having to throttle it. Anytime I switch it to run on any adjustment it dies out. It reached a point where she was started to get loud so I didn't want to increase the idle speed anymore than I had. I'm still guessing this is a carb related issue but at this point it's beyond my repair capabilities without a walk through. I don't want to void my warranty either so I'm gonna have to resort to calling Ardisam. Spark plug gap was a 5th of what it should have been on the original plug which leads me to believe this auger was thrown together with haste.

Sincerely,
Pissed I bought an Eskimo

Also I noticed since I bought the auger there was air in my fuel lines even after priming it once or twice. It was until I highly adjusted the idle speed that I noticed that to dissappear.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2459 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Uh, what dio you mean a "5th of what it was supposed to be"..you mean less?! You used a wire spark plug gauge, correct? That would mean it was at  7/1000; +- , at which nothing would run.
ALWAYS check the plug, the "pre-gap" is crap, especially when someone drops it, then picks it up and screws it in. Those engines come sourced with the plug, always check that. Ardisam is helpful as heck, call them at 1 715 822 2415. Ext 146, ask for Eva, she WILL take care of you. Let us know what happened..... :unsure:

PS....those "bubbles" mean you have an air leak/air being sucked in, adjusting the idle has nothing to do with it. You may be making things worse. Give Ardisam a call before ya proceed, might save ya more of a headache. It can be very frustrating, even for one who knows engines well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.