The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363769 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2400 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Are there any bad a$$ mods for these Eskimo augers mine is a 51 shark 8. If not there should be  :o

Go to it. It's your auger. Drop a titanium slug in it. Port, polish, blueprint and balance. Gold reed valves. Tuned expansion chamber. Send us pics when it's done.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2401 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:07 AM »
mako 43 going strong yet after 4 years? yup. what a reliable auger, cept for the poor design on the old gas tanks.

but looking at pulling the trigger on the new HC40 8''. what do you guys think about the new high compression propane model?

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2402 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Anyone have a leaky gas cap problem or know how to fix it? I have a Mako 43 8" auger

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2403 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Anyone have a leaky gas cap problem or know how to fix it? I have a Mako 43 8" auger
Have you checked the gasket in the cap? I read once the gasket gets tweaked or twisted and can cause this. Others have just changed theirs out.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2404 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I'll just bet it's the late model auger with the vented cap...lay it down with a full tank facing down and they will sometimes leak. They don't have a "gasket" per se, the older ones had the entire rubber piece with the little knob that lifts when you turn the vent screw. A lot of aftermarket gas caps fit; as long as they are vented, you're good to go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2405 on: Nov 05, 2014, 09:34 AM »
My Auger has the Vent and yes if I lay it facing down it leaks. I never worry about it as I only fill to 3/4 full and keep it facing upwards.
<===Lefty===

Offline Head Shaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2406 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:52 AM »
mako 43 going strong yet after 4 years? yup. what a reliable auger, cept for the poor design on the old gas tanks.

but looking at pulling the trigger on the new HC40 8''. what do you guys think about the new high compression propane model?

I think its a great idea to use propane,and its not $500 like the Jijjy.Unless you like to wait a year to get some user reviews,I think its it the best deal on the market right now.The gas augers never impressed me with the leaking and the potential of gas smell transfer to your lures.I know it was my first addition to my arsenal this year,before that it was all hand augers.Buy them early i think the HC40 are going to be a hot seller this year.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2407 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Have you checked the gasket in the cap? I read once the gasket gets tweaked or twisted and can cause this. Others have just changed theirs out.

pending on how old your auger is, it might be your tank it self.. i had to replace mine with the "strapped" tank instead of the crappy screw in. now i have that with the ventless cap.

I think its a great idea to use propane,and its not $500 like the Jijjy.Unless you like to wait a year to get some user reviews,I think its it the best deal on the market right now.The gas augers never impressed me with the leaking and the potential of gas smell transfer to your lures.I know it was my first addition to my arsenal this year,before that it was all hand augers.Buy them early i think the HC40 are going to be a hot seller this year.

yea for 450$ that dont sound to bad. maybe a little heavy, i might lose some CC's but im not worried about speed.  so you have bought one already? if so, what is the weight comparison ?

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2408 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:12 PM »
pending on how old your auger is, it might be your tank it self.. i had to replace mine with the "strapped" tank instead of the crappy screw in. now i have that with the ventless cap.

It is 3 years old, where can I check to see what kind of tank I have? I do have the vented gas cap, you unscrew the little screw and that lets air in

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2409 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Some of them (like mine) had tiny hairline cracks in the tank seams or around the fuel line grommet, common problem due to ethanol garbage gas. Only fix is order new tank and grommet; about $14.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2410 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:46 PM »
As Ricky would say, That splanes it. No Ethanol here.
<===Lefty===

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2411 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:48 PM »
the old tank i had, was screwed onto my auger, with little nuts molded into the plastic of the tank. those nut that were molded would stress crack the tank and leak..  the new tank has tabs molded out where you can screw bolts through. if you want i can post a pic or two.

it was very anoying and i tried everything.. i read up that they had ALOT of problems with the tanks with the nuts molded into the tank, rather than the new ones with the molded tabs.

when i got the new tank, it came with the ventless cap.

2 problems solved! oh did i hate that gas leak tho, it was deceiving due to not leaking when it was in a certain position.. it was the nuts in the plastic...

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2412 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Looks like I will be ordering a new tank. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2413 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Good luck!!! Let us know if that was the problem...it's almost impossible to see the hairline cracks, mine was. Tip: When threading the gas line through grommet, and installing new grommet, spray or rub some silicone on, helps keep it from drying out and it goes a whole lot easier.  ;)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2414 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Can't get anything other then the Chinese Made ones now. I have 2 sets as well and I just touch them up after every other day of use. Keep one sharp and then when you take off a pair put the others on. Just make sure you touch them up when you do.

Is that for all their blades?  I bought two sets last winter because I drilled in dirty ice, I sharpen them all myself and they seemed to hold up after sharpening.

But now that you mention it, one of the new sets I put on my 10" blade seemed to not be as quick at cutting like a previous set.  Sharpened it up and it cut better.
Don

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2415 on: Nov 09, 2014, 12:37 AM »
one of the new sets I put on my 10" blade
We know what you mean Jopes.     ;)2

It's been a hectic week here too.    :unsure:

Have you seen any Swedish blades around ?    They seem to hold an edge better/longer.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2416 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Is that for all their blades?  I bought two sets last winter because I drilled in dirty ice, I sharpen them all myself and they seemed to hold up after sharpening.

But now that you mention it, one of the new sets I put on my 10" blade seemed to not be as quick at cutting like a previous set.  Sharpened it up and it cut better.
All their blades yes.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2417 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I hit/called every little place that has auger blades three years ago, trying to find non-chinese blades, figuring the little shops would still have some around. Zip. There isn't a USA or Swedish blade to be had anywhere, at least not for the 'Mo's. Spent half the day on the phone checking.  >:(

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2418 on: Nov 09, 2014, 12:02 PM »

Have you seen any Swedish blades around ?    They seem to hold an edge better/longer.

never knew they changed till this thread. 

Since I got my auger in 2010 would it be the chinese or good blades?  I don't remember the blades themselves ever saying anything on them.
Don

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2419 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:18 PM »
My bad, Jopes. Still tryin to get my mind back after days of no rest or sleep(minor medical invasion, ha).     :cookoo:

My confusion was with the StrikeMaster Lazer hand auger and the lack of "swedish" stamped blades, lately.   That was something to watch for, a few years back..

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2420 on: Nov 09, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Gator, that was a sad year for strike master.  They had all these augers sold that wouldn't cut ice.  I run a finbore for my hand auger, but didn't even use it last year.
Don

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2421 on: Nov 09, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Very bad year, Jopes, and costly, too.    A buddy bought a 6".  I told him of the bad blades, he called  and talked to "The Big Guy"  at Strikemaster.   They sent him a new auger with Swedish blades AND a spare set, and asked him to return the "dud"  all freight free.  So, talk right to them and get good results is the best policy.  But, we know that, ha.     I'm happy with my 5", and after 6 years, it's still cuts like the ice is butter.      Hm, not using the fin bore last year, was there a reason, other than tooooo much ice ? 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2422 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:14 PM »
By time I got out for the first time it was over 8"  and so cold that weekend it was near a foot when I went home.

I use it for first ice only and that is a short period of time usually.
Don

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2423 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Just got a new Mako the other day. Went from using the stingray. 275 to my door.

"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2424 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Just got a new Mako the other day. Went from using the stingray. 275 to my door.

Nice deal!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2425 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Will a Eskimo 6" hand auger bit fit a Stingray 33cc Powerhead?
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2426 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Before going to far with this MJ, there seems to be less flighting on the Eskimo hand auger, so you may need to do some extra "lifts & dunks" while spinning it to clear slush. 
Another thing is acquiring another "top most end" of the power auger bit, to be welded to, or adapted to the hand auger bit. 
And then is the extra weight of a power head pushing a hand auger bit down and at a higher speed than can be turned by hand, (mine for sure).
The good part is they both turn the same direction.     ;)2     Good luck, and happy Thanksgiving. 

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2427 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:56 PM »
This answers my questions.
The rest of the story is I have a 5 year old Stingray 33cc with an 8" bit. Last year I bought a Shark 71 cc which came with a 10" bit. Nice hole, but my round tipups fall in. So I swapped bits. I can't in good conscience sell the 33cc with a 10" bit when I thought it was somewhat underpowered to begin with, with the eight . I thought if I could slap a 6" bit on it, it would be a very serviceable unit to sell.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2428 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:37 PM »
If you don't have a milling machine or lathe, and a welder, it's an expensive operation.    But I like the idea and smaller holes release your boot quicker.    ;)

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2429 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I looked at the Eskimo website and the auger bits are quite different; less flights, flat blades, no centering ring, and no centering point. The gas auger has more flights , Quantum blades a ring and centering point.
Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.