The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363773 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2370 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:29 PM »
You want a NGK BM6A. I put one in my mako and it ran much better. Came from the factory with a chinese made Torch plug.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2371 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:08 PM »
What is the spark plug socket size? For my mako  @) :tipup: :)
You want a NGK BM6A. I put one in my mako and it ran much better. Came from the factory with a chinese made Torch plug.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.     :woot: :roflmao:

You just focus on the porkers and we'll be fine.       :sick:

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2372 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:30 PM »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2374 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Ice has been gone for about two weeks so I was putting all my stuff so I got the auger out and started it up to run it for a few minutes.  It started second pull and ran like a champ like it always does so after idling I revved it up and down some then idled for 20 sec and when I started to slowly rev it up again it just quit like I turned off the switch.  I waited a couple minutes and tried to start it again and it started after 5 pulls but quit after running for 10 sec and wont start anymore.  What is wrong with it?  I bought it in December and used it a ton running gas with no ethanol with amsoil 80:1 and seafoam and ran awesome all year.  I dont know much about motors so what should I do now?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2375 on: Apr 12, 2014, 03:11 PM »
As has happened to others, when we get off the ice, certain details can be forgotten.

Is the vent screw opened ?

Was the engine warmed up?

What is the condition of the air filter?

Is there any particle or substance in the bottom of the tank?

Let us know.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2376 on: Apr 13, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Mine has the new self venting cap but I always crack it open to let out pressure then tighten it back up. 
I let the engine warm up and it was 60 degrees out so I dont think that was the problem.
I haven't looked at the air filter but can look today.
I'm sure nothing is in the tank because it ran great 2 weeks ago and the cap has been closed the whole time.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2377 on: Apr 13, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Hm, I'm thinkin' .  It just seems impossible, with all the care you've given it.    ???

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2378 on: Apr 13, 2014, 04:49 PM »
I literally did everything recommended by people on here and have tried to take the best care I could all season.  Always started in one or two pulls and did awesome drilling through 45" of ice in NE South Dakota.  Guess I will email Eskimo and see what they say.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2379 on: Apr 13, 2014, 05:14 PM »
You may get faster results by calling them.

Contact us at:

Eskimo
1160 8th Ave
Cumberland, WI 54829

Phone: 800-345-6007              Ask for Eva, and tell her you are from/on a member of Iceshanty.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #2380 on: Apr 14, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Ice has been gone for about two weeks so I was putting all my stuff so I got the auger out and started it up to run it for a few minutes.  It started second pull and ran like a champ like it always does so after idling I revved it up and down some then idled for 20 sec and when I started to slowly rev it up again it just quit like I turned off the switch.  I waited a couple minutes and tried to start it again and it started after 5 pulls but quit after running for 10 sec and wont start anymore.  What is wrong with it?  I bought it in December and used it a ton running gas with no ethanol with amsoil 80:1 and seafoam and ran awesome all year.  I dont know much about motors so what should I do now?

Shoulda left out that seafoam, and ran e-gas in it.  ;)

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2381 on: Aug 20, 2014, 05:02 PM »
hey guys quick question. is the center point of my auger suppose to wiggle side to side a bit? if not how can i fix this. i've already tried tightning up the bolt but no dice.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2382 on: Aug 20, 2014, 05:16 PM »
No it's not, did you ever replace it before?  Check and see if the spacer inside it is broken or missing.  I'd change out the center point because they come with a new spacer which will be tight and fix your problem.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2383 on: Aug 20, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Huh, both of mine wiggle, I thought that was the way they were.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2384 on: Aug 20, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Mine never wiggled and when I replaced them it I had to pull them out with pliers.  It is not supposed to move so it keeps the point in one spot so it drills properly, if it wobbles it won't get the proper bite into the ice.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2385 on: Sep 01, 2014, 07:24 PM »
I touched up my point at the end of the year and it doesn't move either. I had the blades off and ran a stone over the point.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2386 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Pointer: Keep your point pointy!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2387 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:35 AM »
i got a z71 i bought new last year. used it 3 xs. ran good on 2 trips then refused to start on the third. brought it in the shack and after warming she started. cut good for 4 holes then on the 5th started to bog bad. would start right up but had no power under load. even w/ half choke  it still ran like crap. was ultra careful where i bought my gas and added startron like i do to all my 2 cycles. brought it home and drained carb. dumped out gas tank in clear jar. no silt. put fresh high test. started right up. but still no power under load. wouldn't stall just would turn slow. only about 30 holes on her. i checked all that was mentioned on here. could be fuel. I'm going to put a small inline filter on it once i get it going again. brought it to my mechanic last week. hopefully he can figure it out. thankfully i still have my old jiffy and was able to finish the season off.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2388 on: Oct 22, 2014, 12:56 PM »
i got a z71 i bought new last year. used it 3 xs. ran good on 2 trips then refused to start on the third. brought it in the shack and after warming she started. cut good for 4 holes then on the 5th started to bog bad. would start right up but had no power under load. even w/ half choke  it still ran like crap. was ultra careful where i bought my gas and added startron like i do to all my 2 cycles. brought it home and drained carb. dumped out gas tank in clear jar. no silt. put fresh high test. started right up. but still no power under load. wouldn't stall just would turn slow. only about 30 holes on her. i checked all that was mentioned on here. could be fuel. I'm going to put a small inline filter on it once i get it going again. brought it to my mechanic last week. hopefully he can figure it out. thankfully i still have my old jiffy and was able to finish the season off.
If you can find it only use Ethanol free stuff. Also drain that auger at the end of the year of all gas and run it until it stops and then prime it again and run it again until it stops. I do this every year and I am on my 4th year now and I just started it up this year already.
<===Lefty===

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2389 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I'd question the in-line filter as there's one at the end of the gas line inside the tank. It might not be able to draw gas through two filters.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2390 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Do NOT use a filter on these small engines..you will have problems, that's why they don't utilize one. Percolation and fuel delivery issues can result. I would be checking your carb diaphragm...and blow out the carb, might have gotten some crud in there that's still in there. Check for strong spark; there have been some weak coil issues. Lastly, check/replace your spark plug. Z71 uses an NGK BPMR 7A. The other sizes all use a BPM 6A.  :)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2391 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Hey Rebless, your repeating yourself. Is your memory failing you?
<===Lefty===

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2392 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM »
i just hope my mechanic finds something minor as my warranty expired last year. I've never had problems leaving gas in my 2 strokes as long as i treated w/ startron.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2393 on: Oct 23, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Hey Rebless, your repeating yourself. Is your memory failing you?

What's that? Oh, I see. Fumble fingers. Ok, what was the question? 

What's that? Oh, I see. Fumble fingers. Ok, what was the question?   

;D :wacko:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2394 on: Oct 25, 2014, 05:17 PM »
i just hope my mechanic finds something minor as my warranty expired last year. I've never had problems leaving gas in my 2 strokes as long as i treated w/ startron.
I'm no mechanic, but I bought my first power auger in 1978 (2hp Eskimo) and have never removed the fuel from a small engine as I like to keep the gaskets and seals from drying out and getting hard. I do use a fuel conditioner at all times though and I also use non-ethanol gas along with synthetic oil which may have something to do with my good fortune.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2395 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Is there anywhere that sells quality replacement blades for eskimos (8in)?  I bought some of the Eskimo brand (Chinese junk) blades last year from Scheel's and they only stayed sharp for a few outings.  I resharpened my original blades and they worked fine for the rest of the season.  I would just like a quality backup set,  I resharpened the replacement blades but they again only worked for a few outings (had to try them again to see if they would hold an edge the 2nd time).  Like I said after I resharpened my original blades that came on my MO they were fine for the rest of the season.  Does Eskimo sell 2 different qualities of blades,  or did I maybe just get a bad set?

Striker Ice Lite

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2396 on: Oct 27, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Can't get anything other then the Chinese Made ones now. I have 2 sets as well and I just touch them up after every other day of use. Keep one sharp and then when you take off a pair put the others on. Just make sure you touch them up when you do.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2397 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Can't get anything other then the Chinese Made ones now. I have 2 sets as well and I just touch them up after every other day of use. Keep one sharp and then when you take off a pair put the others on. Just make sure you touch them up when you do.

Exactly what Mr. lefty says.  ;)

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2398 on: Nov 01, 2014, 11:14 PM »
Are there any bad a$$ mods for these Eskimo augers mine is a 51 shark 8. If not there should be  :o
Hard charger !

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2399 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Are there any bad a$$ mods for these Eskimo augers mine is a 51 shark 8. If not there should be  :o
When you find one lets us know. I can't see anything making them better then they are other than making them lighter.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.