The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363807 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2280 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:57 PM »
If cleaning doesn't help and you aren't able to tighten the spring you can always buy a new assembly. They are only $25 I believe.

But I would assume, like any pull cord assembly, cleaning some of the old grease out (thin it by spraying WD40 until it cleans itself out) and tossing some oil on it should get you though the rest of the season. The spring really does need to be lightly greased though, so this summer you should take it apart and clean it all out and grease it again. When you grease it again, use something good for cold weather. Reel grease would even work just fine, or cold weather tip-up grease.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2281 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Regreasing is probably the best option, but taking those things apart is sketchy!  That spring is so hard to put back in...I'd spend the $25.

Offline Mightyjoeyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2282 on: Jan 13, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Thanks for all the responses on the recoil.  It got worse as the week went on to the point that it would not go back in period, so I ended up taking the recoil off to take a look, but for the life of me I could not get that screw underneath the recoil off. 

So I ended up calling Eskimo and the part was still on warranty, so they sent me a new one for free!  I talked to them on Thursday and I had the part at my house by Friday afternoon, talk about quick service.  They even sent me the new Hypercoil, and man pulling that thing is smooth and really makes a difference from the standard recoil I had before!   

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2283 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Good to hear some of these companies still strive to please the customer!  Glad to hear all is well.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2284 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Thanks for all the responses on the recoil.  It got worse as the week went on to the point that it would not go back in period, so I ended up taking the recoil off to take a look, but for the life of me I could not get that screw underneath the recoil off. 

So I ended up calling Eskimo and the part was still on warranty, so they sent me a new one for free!  I talked to them on Thursday and I had the part at my house by Friday afternoon, talk about quick service.  They even sent me the new Hypercoil, and man pulling that thing is smooth and really makes a difference from the standard recoil I had before!   

Good for you! 'Mo service us great. And some yahoos babble Eskimo's are junk and so is their service. You know who you are. I always just considered the source from whence it came.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2285 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:43 PM »
I sent them a message regarding my kill switch issue.. we'll see how their customer service treats a 1 week old customer. I may have to call them if they don't reply in a week or so, busy time for them.

My new auger is running fantastic. Cuts through the ice like a hot knife through butter. Throws shavings all over the place. SOOOOO glad I bought the mako!!!!

Already used 1/2 tank of gas in 3 trips.  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2286 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:50 PM »
What precautions should I take if it is raining or snowing out? Do I bring a bag to put over the powerhead while it lays on the ice? Or just do like always and dry it off when I get home?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2287 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:56 PM »
There's nothing on there a little moisture is going to hurt, as long as your air filter chunk of foam doesn't get soaked, which would be awful hard to do. Only thing is starter recoil rope would freeze if it gets soaked, making it pretty tough to pull out/retract, so make sure it dries inside somewhere warm before you take it back out. If it's actual rain, just put a plastic bag over the COOL powerhead.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2288 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:43 AM »
I sent them a message regarding my kill switch issue.. we'll see how their customer service treats a 1 week old customer. I may have to call them if they don't reply in a week or so, busy time for them.

I got a reply today, and gave the guy all the info he needed. Hopefully I'll get another reply telling me the switch is in the mail.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2289 on: Jan 15, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Also I noticed today that the auger came with a torch plug and the manual recommends NGK BM6A, so I went and picked up an NGK. Now starts with 1/2 a pull with the choke on RUN and one prime. After that, 1/2 a pull with the choke on RUN. Also seems to run a little bit smoother.

Just something to think about if you are still running the factory plug  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jonnywalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2290 on: Jan 15, 2014, 03:55 PM »
bought a new stingray at the end of last year, used it once, used it twice so far this year and the screw on the gas cap was missing after taking it out Sunday.  Called eskimo and they won't replace it.....not the customer service I was expecting.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2291 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Well, not trying to back them up... because I think they should send you a new $10 cap to keep a customer happy.... but lost items is not covered in warranty.

I THINK I saw the new style self-venting gas cap on ebay for around $10 the other day, but I don't see it now. All I see is the cap you already have for $8. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ardisam-300401-Viper-Engines-Eskimo-Earthquake-Gas-Cap-Powerheads-Edger-Tillers-/360635588121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f78e5e19
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jonnywalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2292 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I totally understand but the lock mechanism on the screw should not fall out after using it a total of three times.  I am going to end up buying a new one but thought for good customer service and for an auger used three times they would stand behind their product, even if it is just a gas cap.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2293 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Agreed 100%!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2294 on: Jan 17, 2014, 02:52 PM »
I got a reply today, and gave the guy all the info he needed. Hopefully I'll get another reply telling me the switch is in the mail.

I received my new switch today. I never did get a reply from the guy, it just showed up today next-day delivery via speedee. Installed it in 10 seconds and now it works perfectly! One flick of the switch and the auger shuts right down, like its supposed to! Chalk that one up for a good customer service experience.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2295 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Glad you got it going. Good Customer service is a plus.
<===Lefty===

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2296 on: Jan 20, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Don't know if you guys can help but figured id ask before calling Eskimo. There is a bearing at the bottom of my stingray power head that has grease coming out of it. Anyone have this problem?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2297 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:05 PM »
If it's just a stain, no worries, as there's not much in there anyway. It's a big chore to change the seal. Best have on hand the spare case gasket, bushing, and seal.  Relocate some of the grease to points of contact, while it's open.     Good luck.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2298 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:09 PM »
It was just a stain till yesterday then all heck broke loose and spit about 2 table spoons out. What a mess didn't see it till I got done drilling about 30 holes.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2299 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:15 PM »
It was just a stain till yesterday then all heck broke loose and spit about 2 table spoons out. What a mess didn't see it till I got done drilling about 30 holes.

Oh, nasty !     Do you use a 2 cycle mix that keeps the seals fresh ?    Wouldn't help that one, just the crankcase base seal. You may be getting a bit of "blow-by" from combustion into the lower case and blowing warm grease out.  May need both seals.   I think bare with it til the season is over. Unless you have a killer SM Lazer in the small sizes and strong arms.       I'm really trying to help but, humor just seeps out at times.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2300 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Don't know if you guys can help but figured id ask before calling Eskimo. There is a bearing at the bottom of my stingray power head that has grease coming out of it. Anyone have this problem?

Sounds like the seal on your bearing may be bad, someone put too much grease in it, or it got wayyyy too warm.  I would probably just call customer service to see if they can do anything for ya.

Or if you're a DIY kind of guy, take the trans off and break it open to check the grease level.  If it still looks OK and the grease stopped coming out you're probably in the clear.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2301 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:46 PM »
The auger is about 5 years old and has probably drilled a million holes. I priced the parts to take it apart and for and the price for the transmission assembly. $130 for parts and $160 for transmission. Will probably limp threw the season the get the transmission. I could do it myself cause I am a DIY guy but for $30 difference my labor is not worth that. the only thing that worries me is if something else might be causing it to leak.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2302 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Good decision to get through the season.   That $130, was that for only 2 seals, 1 gasket and 1 bearing ?       Also, do you have a way to measure the output shaft "run-out" ? Requires a dial indicator and a bit of rigging.   If it is more than a few thousandths of an inch, say 12-15 or a bit more, that's why the seal failed and indicates bearing wear/wobble and it should also be replaced also.   If you need a dial indicator, hm, how can I get this to you ?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2303 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:10 AM »
Good point' gator. Too much run-out on that crank 'll boink that brass bushing into an egg paperweight. Maybe give Isky a call, and then have 'er balanced and BP'd before dropping in one of their  high-lift lobe 3/4 race ones, ya think?  ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2304 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:16 AM »
Yup it'll run like a, well, one of those apes.   ;)2

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2305 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:35 AM »
The $130 would be for 5 bearings, gasket, seal, and maybe clutch drum. I would have all the tools that I need to do it seeing that I am a manager of a mechanic shop ;D. Just don't know if the time would be worth it. Ever sense I got the auger its always had a funny wobble to it when drilling. could be the reason for the bearing and seal going out. Ill have to look into that also when I get to it at the end of the season. Thanks for the help guy.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2306 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Most kind. Surely, you have every tool needed.  Sounds like you're planing an in-frame major, ha.  As to the wobble, it's very common due to the interface of the power head to the auger.  Good luck and tight lines.

Offline T.ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2307 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Hi eskimoians,

Offline T.ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2308 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:07 PM »
I have a z51 Eskimo, That just started leaking a small amount of fuel when on it's side ( cap side up of course ). It has my storage bag and sled smelling of fuel pretty bad. It drips every 10-15 secs. I love the auger, I just can't find where this leak is coming from. Has anyone had the same issue? I would love to get this leak fixed. I take good care of it and keep good fuel, oil and seafoam for stabilizer in it at all times. I run it in the off season and keep it stored in my garage. Can one of my fellow Eskimo owers help???

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2309 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:18 PM »
I have a z51 Eskimo, That just started leaking a small amount of fuel when on it's side ( cap side up of course ). It has my storage bag and sled smelling of fuel pretty bad. It drips every 10-15 secs. I love the auger, I just can't find where this leak is coming from. Has anyone had the same issue? I would love to get this leak fixed. I take good care of it and keep good fuel, oil and seafoam for stabilizer in it at all times. I run it in the off season and keep it stored in my garage. Can one of my fellow Eskimo owers help???

The most common causes are the tank its self (new style tank available to correct this) or the tank grommet for the fuel line.  Have a look.

Q

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.