The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363779 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2220 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Aha!!! Another Cheeto's eater!! Have the dog give 'em a lick.  'Gator's Missus can never figure out why the cat's face is always orange.  :woot:
It really tickles, but the cat likes it.   :roflmao:

On the ice, wipin' yer fingers on euro larva makes 'em salty, perch go for it too.    >:D

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2221 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Thanks Rebel, I always felt the same way with the ratio. I have heard of some people running it at a thinner ratio. I usually cringe. I guess it it time to put down the bag of cheetos

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2222 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:54 PM »
I went to 100:1 to cut down on the smoke inside the shack when I drill. Just for fun, I'm going to mix one gal of Amsoil Sabre at 50:1 and see how it is. Nothing to loose, only paid $3 for an 8 oz bottle.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2223 on: Dec 09, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I went to 100:1 to cut down on the smoke inside the shack when I drill. Just for fun, I'm going to mix one gal of Amsoil Sabre at 50:1 and see how it is. Nothing to loose, only paid $3 for an 8 oz bottle.
It may slow down the speed of your engine.    If it gums up, Amsoil has a product to clean it out.   Power Foam.    ;)2

Hope you know it doesn't burn off, even at 3 times the normal operating temperature.   

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2224 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a handle for my z-51 used or new, I found them on the eskimos web site hate paying 88.00 for the handle kit

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #2225 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a handle for my z-51 used or new, I found them on the eskimos web site hate paying 88.00 for the handle kit

Call Dag's in Auburn Maine ~ they may have one and could ship it too you.  They are a Sponsor on the Maine board.

Ask for Marcel or Dylan!  207-783-0388

~Jeff

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2226 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Just received my new Z71 yesterday.  Very nice looking.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2227 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Polekat40, If you would like to break it in, properly go back one page, to reply #2217.   Reb has seen the inside of too many, and knows best !

It's caveman easy and just takes a little time for the engine to get to know it's "Parts" a little better and get enough lubricant where it needs be, before any stress.  Good luck and many happy holes.

One big caution: Do not pull the starter rope off, ha. Use only short pulls.    ;)2

MO power to ya.   :woot:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2228 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:04 AM »
My Mo ripped ice like crazy yesterday. 16" of ice. I did a good job sharpening the blades last time. Fish were biting as well.

The only bad part of the day was a couple of jerks on snowmobiles went flying by my wife and I at high speed just to through snow on us. They didn't do it on there way back, I was ready for them standing there with my Shovel in my hand. They slowed down and went farther out around us.
<===Lefty===

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2229 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Thanks for the info on break in.   Will do that.  Just sold my old Eskimo auger I bought in about 1981 and still running good.  This is the reason went with another Eskimo.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2230 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:45 PM »
The auger has arrived and I ran it through the break in. Thanks for the info rebel

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Stingray s33 8"
« Reply #2231 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:16 AM »
Hey everybody,
I just traded a guy for a 1 year old Stingray. I guess he decided ice fishing was too cold. Anyways, I got a good deal but the problem is he said at the end of last season he was having a hard time getting this thing to start in the cold. He also stored the auger flat all offseason with fuel in the tank. Just wondering if anybody has any tips about how to best handle this thing and get it running smoothly again.
Thanks
BSC

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2232 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:27 AM »
First I would dump out that gas and start with fresh gas and oil mix. Clean or replace the plug and check the filter.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Eskimo Stingray s33 8"
« Reply #2233 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Hey everybody,
I just traded a guy for a 1 year old Stingray. I guess he decided ice fishing was too cold. Anyways, I got a good deal but the problem is he said at the end of last season he was having a hard time getting this thing to start in the cold. He also stored the auger flat all offseason with fuel in the tank. Just wondering if anybody has any tips about how to best handle this thing and get it running smoothly again.
Thanks
BSC

Back up and read the previous 2,231 replies. My fingers get tired and my ears get weary.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2234 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:29 AM »
"Aha!!! Another Cheeto's eater!! Have the dog give 'em a lick.  'Gator's Missus can never figure out why the cat's face is always orange."

Do I consider that one of the previous 2,231? Not trying to be an asshole here but not everything on this thread applies why an auger won't start. I've tried pretty much everything. Brand new spark plug, new mix. Just doesn't seem to want to start when it's not warm. I've read almost this entire thread and not found an answer. Just hoping for some new ideas.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2235 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Have you checked for an air leak in the gas lines? Or carb loose?
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2236 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Have you proven it has spark ?

Is there any black "Goo" in the fuel tank ?

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #2237 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Has been seating for over a year. Added a litlle gas and this Vid shows the results.

NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2238 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Has been seating for over a year. Added a litlle gas and this Vid shows the results.

Starts just like mine. One pull and go.
<===Lefty===

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2239 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:33 PM »
As god is my witness....

I just pulled my 2 year old z51 out today.  Yep, I am late on the ice this year.  It has been in storage since March.

8 primes, and it started on the 1st pull... I have NEVER had a auger start on the 1st pull, coming out of storage.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2240 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Mine always starts like that. Well only 4 primes but first pull.
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2241 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:53 PM »
As god is my witness....

I just pulled my 2 year old z51 out today.  Yep, I am late on the ice this year.  It has been in storage since March.

8 primes, and it started on the 1st pull... I have NEVER had a auger start on the 1st pull, coming out of storage.

That speaks for the care you gave it before puttin 'er to bed, MJK.   MO's go !.    :thumbsup: ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2242 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Was on E-bay yesterday. Saw an Eska-Mo auger Yes that is how it was spelled. It was white and looked like it had only one arm. Never seen one before and now it is gone off there. It was being sold as is with bad blades and would not start for $50 plus shipping. Anyone ever seen one before? Was Eskimo once spelled Eska-Mo?
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2243 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Sure have, lefty. Seen a couple here in Minnesota. The original one-armed bandit; orange and white. They were made by the Eska engine company, which was owned by Tecumseh engines, and sold under different brand names. Made in Dubuque, Iowa. Remember the Eska outboards? Sears? Yup, same company.  They were later sold down the road, becoming  Eskimo....I think. Have to dig through my stuff to remember all that.  Can't remember how that came to be, but I do recall researching that in years past for a friend...many years ago. I'm still good for some info, though.  ;) Here's one right after they went to the "two handle" style, and switched to "Eskimo" name. Still orange and white, though. Free visual aids.*PHEW* that wore me right out.  :P

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2244 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I thought you might have my answer. Looked like the auger I saw also had a different blade setup. Did they have a blade like the Jiffy's? And why doesn't Eskimo have those ripper type blades?
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2245 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Jeez, lefty, I don't know!!!  :roflmao: They DID have blades like the Jiffy's, I think it's because when all the augers "started out', they all used the same Tecumseh engine. As far as the blades, that's all I can tell ya...I'm more familiar with the other end of the auger.  ;D

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2246 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:25 PM »
I got a z51 about a month ago and am very happy with it but ever since the first time I used it I have never had to prime it.  If I do prime it 1 or 2 times it will drip gas from the carb.  It always starts in less than 3 or 4 pulls, starting on the first most times.   Is not having to prime common with these augers?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2247 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I usually pull the Mako 43cc through at least once. It may fire but not run. So, then a little priming to fill the carb bowl and one more short pull does it.    ;)2

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #2248 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:59 PM »
I got a z51 about a month ago and am very happy with it but ever since the first time I used it I have never had to prime it.  If I do prime it 1 or 2 times it will drip gas from the carb.  It always starts in less than 3 or 4 pulls, starting on the first most times.   Is not having to prime common with these augers?

Make sure the choke is OFF before priming, otherwise there isn't any gas going to the carb and it builds up in the air filter ~ dripping eventually.  After primed you can put the choke ON.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2249 on: Dec 24, 2013, 05:26 AM »
Make sure the choke is OFF before priming, otherwise there isn't any gas going to the carb and it builds up in the air filter ~ dripping eventually.  After primed you can put the choke ON.

That's good to know. I'll do that next time. Thanks!
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.