The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363790 times)

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2070 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Well reb, no fuel tank cracks, I pulled it and leak tested. Must be the gromnet. Might as well replacefuel lines while I'm at it. Thanks for the advice! I'll run to Cumberland tomorrow and get what I need.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2071 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Well reb, no fuel tank cracks, I pulled it and leak tested. Must be the gromnet. Might as well replacefuel lines while I'm at it. Thanks for the advice! I'll run to Cumberland tomorrow and get what I need.

Welcome!11 *PHEW*! Good deal!!! Seen them leak a lot from the grommet area. Tip: When ya put it in, (THE GROMMET!!!!  ;D) I spray mine with silicone to keep them soft and pliable, so they won't dry out and leak... ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2072 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I'll remember that, and no more ethanol fuel. If I ain't making it anymore, I ain't supporting it anymore.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2073 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I'll remember that, and no more ethanol fuel. If I ain't making it anymore, I ain't supporting it anymore.

Aw jeez, didn't know ya used THAT...that's the problem!!!!! The specific alcohol content in ethanol garbage leaches out the plasticisers in rubber, gaskets, and plastic, rendering them brittle. Use only true non-oxy fuel, the NO ethanol stuff. I made the mistake of using my buddies mix in my auger, sat in it for 4 months, didn't realize it was ethanol crap. Ending up doing what YOU are, in additiion to replacing the tank. For some reason, folks think that they're safer with high-octane; that has absolutely nothing to do with ethanol.  You get two types of gas: Ethanol and non-ethanol. (non-oxygenated) Non-oxy usually runs about 92 octane or so. Actually, there are less BTU's of energy produced with a higher octane count. Also use a good alcohol free stabilizer like Startron in your non-oxy, and you won't suffer any fuel-related issues.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2074 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:06 PM »
I have had no problems with my 10 year old mako, but I'm not taking any more chances. I made ethanol for the past 6 years, so i thought I should support it, but nothing but non ethanol now for my augers and small stuff. I don't want to hurt my Mo's!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2075 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:10 PM »
There's only TWO PUMPS in this town of 125,000 where I can get non-oxy. We have a big ethanol plant right outside of town, and that 's ALL the gas stations here sell, ya don't even have a choice.  :%$#!:

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2076 on: Dec 25, 2012, 03:35 PM »
I'm lucky. Small town, 300i think?  One station sells ethanol free. But they dont sell beer! The other one does though! Gotta love Wisconsin!  The Mo's are hittin the ice Thursday!!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2077 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Limited fuel supply........ :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2078 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Im heading out to the garage to gas mine up right now!! If I add Seafoam to the mix, will that take care of the ethanol problem as well? Rebs ???

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2079 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Well, no, not really, Vex. Seafoam is 10% alcohol AND NAPTHA...will clean up stuff, though. Get some Startron, or, I guEss the new formula Stabil works, too. Just know Startron stops the fuel degradation through enzymatic process, keeping the ethanol from breaking down and forming the nasty alcohol crap. Just don't keep it too long!!!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #2080 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:24 PM »
I've been using the stihl gas in a can. I believe it's a quart and is 50:1. I think it cost me under 10 bucks. A can lasts me for quite sometime. I'm not a guy that will drill hundreds of holes.

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2081 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Ok guys I have what I'm sure will be a stupid question to many but I need an answer. On the top of my Eskimo gas can there is a silver cap that unscrews but does not come off all the way. What is this for?
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2082 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:34 PM »
It's a vent to allow air to get into the gas tank so it will flow and not become vapor locked.

Offline MrMeiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2083 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Ok guys I have what I'm sure will be a stupid question to many but I need an answer. On the top of my Eskimo gas can there is a silver cap that unscrews but does not come off all the way. What is this for?

That's your vent.  Loosen it when you're starting/using the auger, righty tighty it when not using it.  Opening it is what lets the fuel flow into the filter and fuel line.
FLAG!

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2084 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Ok thanks guys for the quick response. I have not opened while starting/using it thus far. Is this a serious problem?  I've prolly drilled 50 holes in 2 days
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #2085 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:22 AM »
should run better with it open

Offline nalegtx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDCORE!!!...
« Reply #2086 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I have a Z71 from last year. I switched to Eskimo after years of Jiffy only. My auger broke due to a "common concern" and was 17 days beyond warranty with no help........n e I LOVE THE ESKIMO! I use 93 octane and run synthetic air-cooled 2 stroke gas from a power sports dealer my brother works at. runs flawless. just make sure you always let your auger warm up properly before use. when i say properly i mean don't start it and hammer the throttle to warm it. Just let the machine idle for 5 min or longer depending on ambient temp. slowly and lightly give it throttle after it idles for x amount of time. you'll hear it bog down if she's still cold. it will slowly stop bogging and RPM's will build smooth once it warms up.
" Can't get there from here...no......"

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2087 on: Dec 29, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Hey all! Finally got out today! The Z71 hasn't been started for 3 months, 18 deg and 3 pulls she fires up. Gotta love them MO's.  Only caught 5 lil bows but was fun and felt good to get out!

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #2088 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:34 PM »
My buddy just bought a stingray yesterday... i got one last year he called me and said his gas cap is not vented like mine... so he called eskimo and they told him  they went to this new gas cap no need to be vented!!!,, any ideas on what they changed that it dont need vented??? mine wont even start till i vent it!!! just wandering if you guys had any ideas on what the difference is from one year to the next!!! i love my stingray but the gas cap has been a problem since i bought it, leaked, broke, seal was bad, this is the third gas cap ive gone through in a year!!! thanks guys for your input its appreciated!!!!!     D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2089 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:37 PM »
The cap/tank could be vented somehow, or they are running a sealed system, like in your car radiator. Not much to a gas cap; what's going wrong with three of them?

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2090 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:43 PM »
The cap/tank could be vented somehow, or they are running a sealed system, like in your car radiator. Not much to a gas cap; what's going wrong with three of them?

well one i broke shutting the tailgate on the truck,,,one the rubber ring seal inside was bad right from store,,, and the one on now just leaks not sure why!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2091 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:44 PM »
but either way i love my eskimo will not use any other starts on first pull every time!!!!!

Offline Rukus3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2092 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Some sad new guys,  after my auger fell off my sled today my plastic wind intake piece broke and the whole carb fell off with it.  It is only a $7 fix but I am sad. I hope no one else has had this issue. :(

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2093 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:19 PM »
china man say "do not drop a stuff from high up, plastic breaky breaky real easy"

So sorry man, what a bummer! I cant stand waitin on repairs!

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2094 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:33 AM »
When I worked in plastics, we would actually test some parts by freezing them, then dropping them from different distances to a concrete floor. But, they were impact parts, and I suppose the augers aren't help to the same standard. Too bad. On the plus side, I went to Cumberland to get a new fuel line/grommet and gas cap seal for my newer Mo, and there it was waiting for me! I love having them so close for just in case.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2095 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:21 PM »
I am three days away from becoming a member of the order.  My wife bought me a Mako for my birthday, and it will arrive on Monday!
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline FishinBill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2096 on: Jan 04, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Hey fellas thought you might be able to help me here, I emailed Eskimo about this but had a response yet.
Alright I have a Stingray new last NOV. I got to use it twice last season maybe got 30 holes drilled and was really liking it. After the ice season was over (short last year) I ran it out of gas and put a little bit of oil in the plug and stored her upright.

Well pulled her out couple weeks ago and first pull fired right up so I thought alright. Well got to get out last night with a friend looking forward to drilling holes. Get out there and it would not start at all, zippo. Thankfully there were 2 holes someone else drilled that we could fish and we didn't go to one of my out of the way places.

I got home and changed the plug and gas out. Well I did get it to start but it would idle for 3-4 seconds and then die out. Could not get it stay running for nothing. I would have to push the bulb 5-7 times to get it to start and then die out. Also thinking this might be connected but not sure, since day one I got it if I prime the bulb more then 3 times gas will run out of the bulb area. At first I thought I was over priming it and flooding it but not so sure now. Would this have any connection with the above problem beings it sounds like it is gas starved?

It is still pretty much new so I'm trying to stay calm and not get pissed because I was really enjoying it and looking forward to really using it this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Bill

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2097 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Sure sounds like maybe some crud restricting the fuel flow, or a bad diaphragm. It's easy to overprime these, my Stingray is the same way, they just happen to "bump" a lot of gas in with the primer bulb. Don't think it's related....I'd clean the carb/needle/seat quick and blow it out, see if that helps, then go from there..

Offline FishinBill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2098 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Thank you very much my friend. I gave a quick clean to the carb tonight and that did it. For whatever reason the carb never came across my mind but that was it. Took it out and opened up 20 holes just fine, that is gonna piss off the motorcycle riders down there but at lest it wasn't on their track  ;D. Thanks for the heads up on the bulb as well, I have this mindset if little works more must be better and over do things.

Won't be able to get out for a couple days but I'm MO then happy again, very much appreciated!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2099 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Good deal!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go..RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR!!!  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.