The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363776 times)

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #2010 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:24 PM »
It been getting in the low to mid 30s every night, Im starting to get the itch to get my MO out on the ice.  I just hope we get a better winter than last year.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2011 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:52 AM »
I just hope we get a better winter than last year.

You ain't just whistling Dixie outta yer bunghole!!!!! :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2012 on: Oct 30, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Rebelss, where do you make reservations for your hotel shack.  LOL  Let me guess besides the ceiling fans it has a fully functioning kitchen.   :tipup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2013 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:03 PM »
I would certainly HOPE so, chris!!!! Plus a fully functional Chef.....Me!!!!  ;D  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2014 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:38 PM »
I LOVE MY 'MO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took it out today, filled 'er with gas, primed it a bit...gave it a pull....and...and..... RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
First pull!!!! Six years old next month, wasn't used last year because Winter was Summer, and it starts on the first pull!!!  :thumbsup: Take the proper care of your 'MO, use the right fuel, and they'll NEVER let ya down!!!!!
OK, guys, let's get those 'MO's out and a goin'!!!!! Gentleman, start your engines!!!!!  :woot:

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2015 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:48 PM »
come on Reb, now I'm going to have to start mine tonight.  Maybe I'll chase the trick or treaters up the street with it.  Is an ice auger as scary as a chainsaw?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2016 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:59 PM »
There ya go!!!! The crazyman from 'MO!!!    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2017 on: Oct 31, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Hey guys I owned my 71cc MO for 3 yrs now and it took a beating last year as I was involved in a rollover and my gear bounced around in the truck pretty hard. after tuning it up its running good but i noticed the rope is getting torn up now cause it looks like the rope slide is loose. is it possible to just glue it back in place or is it supoose to be free moving.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2018 on: Oct 31, 2012, 03:05 PM »
If you mean the "collar" where the rope comes through, that can be crimped a bit, or ya could epoxy it. A small engine shop will have one laying around ya can press fit in place. I think I'd do that, and replace that rope will you're at it... ;)

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2019 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:06 PM »
My MO started first pull today, 1st time starting her in a week, she purred like a kitten.

Striker Ice Lite

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #2020 on: Nov 01, 2012, 05:26 PM »
I just became a proud owner of another "Mo"  I picked up what looks like and older 8" mako, with a 3hp tecumseh engine.  It fires up  on the 1st pull but stalls out soon after so the carb needs some cleaning I imagine.   its alittle dusty and needs a new blade and a center point.  Other than that I think she'll fit in fine with the other "MO's"  I've got.   

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2021 on: Nov 01, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Well, like they say, FRESHBAIT, the 'MO, the merrier!!!  ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2022 on: Nov 01, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Freashbait, I have a Mako with teh tecumseh engine I bought back in 2003 and it works great.   From what I've learned on here through a lot of reading guys say to use Seafoam, it will clean up the carb.  One thing I have noticed on mine is until it warms up for a minute or two you have to have the coke on 1/2 way then once it warms up it runs with it off.  If you have the curved blades they're called Turbo-Cut blades and can be tough to get since all the Mo power augers are using the flat Quantium blades anymore.  I'd call Eskimo (1-800-945-6007)as soon as you can to get a set before they sell out.  I learned that lesson last year, when I called to get a set they were all sold out.  Good thing last year's ice was lousy other wise I would've been really mad.  Also if you give them all the code numbers (model, serial, and engine type) they will be able to tell you what model it is and the year it was made.  If you need any info or help send me a private message, I'll help you out the best I can.  Good luck with the new auger.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2023 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:47 AM »
Tecumsehs are the old USA built bullet-proof engine, but sadly, no longer. Used on everything from augers to mowers to mini-bikes. ( My mini-bike had a 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh) HANG ON TO IT!!!!!!!  Parts readily availbale thru any small engine shop, and easy to work on. Check with Ardisam for the mix-ratio on that one, may be under the 50:1 ratio, possibly 24:1 DO NOT lean it out to 80:1, or 100:1 with the synthetics; if ya plan on doing THAT to it, ship it to me!!!   ;D

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #2024 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:17 AM »
So I fooled with the new "mo" last night for about 15mins, after I got done working on the toy barns I'm building my boys.  I've come to the conclusion that it's gonna need the following parts to bring her up to what I consider ready for service condition.

New recoil spring.... the one in it now seems to be worn out, causing about 6-8" of pull cord to hang out, and it seems to be alittle sticky.

Carb rebuild/cleaned... it takes a few pulls to get it to fire up and will only run with the choke fully on, also has slow throttle response.

Center Point... will have to be sharpened, unfortunetly it dosen't have the replaceble center point.

New blade... The blade needs to be sharpened, and a replacement to have on hand. 

Transport cover for the auger blade.

I'd also like to get some Eskimo red paint to bring her back to her original color.  It appears that someone spray bombed her red. Which would be fine it was done right and things taped off.  Who ever painted this thing just spray painted over every thing and didn't even bother to tape things off.  Carb is all painted up, fuel lines are painted up, Spark plug wire and plug are all painted up.  It just makes her look like a piece of crap.  I'm ashamed for her that her power head looks so bad, its like getting a bad haircut.  Only it just wont grow back.  Hope fully I'll get some time this weekend to tear her down and glass bead the power head and get some 2 part epoxy primer sprayed onto her, and then look to see where I can get some paint to get her back into the right color. 

One thing I'd like to maybe modify is the throttle, it has the metal linkages, but it just seems to be stiff.  Anyone ever swap it out to maybe a squeeze trigger style?

Also does anyone know where I can get some replacement stickers for the power head?  You think if I call Eskimo customer service they might have what I'm looking for???

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2025 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Well, I'll bet Eva at Eskimo can help ya...call her at 1 800 345 6007, ext 146. tell her you're off this site and I sent ya....you'll get help!!!  ;)
PS...Let us know how it went....

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #2026 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:48 AM »
ya I'm gonna call her as soon as I get home,  this is gonna be my back up auger, but I want it to still run like a scared cat. 

I'm still on the hunt for other "MO's" I'd like to track down a model like my first auger.  It had a beast of a Tecumseh power head and had a set of handle bars like a tricycle, with yellow hand grips.  It had the Eski-mo on the top of the recoil, and the auger was orange.  The throttle was a metal lever on the right side with the round rod that went into the handle and then over towards the carb with a linkage off that to move the butter fly.   That old girl cut many a hole, and then died. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2027 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I called Eskimo to get some of the oval blue stickers that are on the handle bar of the powerhead on mine but they don't have them anymore.  The did send me some of the new style Eskimo stickers that are on the auger bit on the new ones and it looks good on my truck. :tipup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2028 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:15 AM »
ya I'm gonna call her as soon as I get home,  this is gonna be my back up auger, but I want it to still run like a scared cat. 

I'm still on the hunt for other "MO's" I'd like to track down a model like my first auger.  It had a beast of a Tecumseh power head and had a set of handle bars like a tricycle, with yellow hand grips.  It had the Eski-mo on the top of the recoil, and the auger was orange.  The throttle was a metal lever on the right side with the round rod that went into the handle and then over towards the carb with a linkage off that to move the butter fly.   That old girl cut many a hole, and then died.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/3376023477.html

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2029 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:50 PM »
I called Eskimo today and ordered my Turbo Cut blades and center point for my Mako and the lady, I forget her name, said they have the oval blue Eskimo stickers in stock that they use to put on the handles.  I can't wait to get the blades, been waiting since last year when I was told they sold out. 

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2030 on: Nov 10, 2012, 11:04 PM »
Howdy MO Owners!  Time to get back on the Shanty.  Hoping we are all about 6 weeks away from ice.  I sure hope this season is better than last.  I only had ice here for a few weeks then had to go to Canada to do some serious fishing.  Looking forward to hearing MO good fishing stories from you all this year.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2031 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Hey IceinKzoo!!! How's the 'MO doin'??? Good to see you back!!!   ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2032 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Howdy MO Owners!  Time to get back on the Shanty.  Hoping we are all about 6 weeks away from ice.  I sure hope this season is better than last.  I only had ice here for a few weeks then had to go to Canada to do some serious fishing.  Looking forward to hearing MO good fishing stories from you all this year.

X2

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2033 on: Nov 11, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Hi Rebel.  My MO is doing great.   Now that I know you have started yours up I am going to have to get her out and breathe in some of that wonderful Amsoil exhaust!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2034 on: Nov 13, 2012, 02:54 AM »
I just got my Turbo Cut power auger blades and center point today so all I need now is the ice.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2035 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Hey guys quick question, do you guys sharpen your own quantum blades for your augers? and whats your favorite method?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2036 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Yup. Use a Smith's hard (white) honing stone and oil. Run across the bottom in a semi-arc after every use. Razor sharp...or better, ask my finger.  ;D

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2037 on: Nov 23, 2012, 03:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Burrrrrrrrr, snowin out and its suppose to stay cold. Im guessing the turd week in December for some skinny ice perch!! MO is STOKED. Rebs, the shanty will be for an over-achiever.......im guessin its gonna weigh a ton but I dont care! Its the only practical way to take my son ;D ;D ;D                                         :tipup: Flag UP!!!!!!!!!!, oh wait, it just went back down ;)
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2038 on: Nov 23, 2012, 03:31 PM »
So what? Go for it!!!! Then ya can rest assured it won't blow away on ya!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: Oh, and we want PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :woot:

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2039 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Went down to Franks Great Outdoors yesterday for the Ice Fishing Extravaganza!!! Now Im pumped more than ever, the good thing is its a couple hours south of me and we passed alot of pond ice!! Snatched up some new gear, now if I could just finish work up for the season I can start up the new hardshack! Life is good boys!!!!!!!!!!!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.