The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363772 times)

surflizard

Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #1920 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Ethanol in todays fuels will actually dissolve fuel line and carb diaphrams and even compromise plastic gas tanks, that is why a good fuel treatment is so Important !!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1921 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I dont want to here you guys talking about putting your augers away just yet! My goodness............it s to early still. I should have a month yet of solid fishing here on last ice at Im only at the 45 parallel, yup......thats exactly half way between the north pole and the equator!! Best of both worlds! Fish on brother!  ;D
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline MaineICER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1922 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Well... it's been a while since I have been on here, working like crazy and open water here  >:(  GREAT news though.. after all the crap I went through, I finally have my mo up and running!! little bits of trouble were: the crank bearings- called 10 people, maybe more, and they are no longer made and everyone is out of em.. eastern bearings Co. found me two that matched along with the oil seals!! couldn't find the TC300-3004A jug so I prayed and ordered the 3214G model with the holes for mounting the exhaust and the carb mount holes were opposite of mine. I drilled and tapped the new holes, then realized the little fuel pump hole didn't go around the way it needed to... so I carved a little passage in the carb spacer so it worked.. (and it does!) the exhaust still hooked up fine, couldn't find a new exhaust gasket anywhere so I patched the old one that was ripped.. the piston I got was perfect except for the crank bearings didn't match!! I had to slide out the wristpins and use the old connecting rod with the old needle bearings (wow isn't getting the rod on the crank a fun time with those needle bearings!!) that worked just fine!! got er all together, let the gasket sealer set overnight. this thing has so much compression!! added some 26:1 (as it says to use) and a small shot of startron, watched the fuel go through her veins as I pulled her over a few times slowly...  BRRRAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!  HAHA!! what a smile I had!! finally, countless hours searching parts, tedious cleaning of every part and assembly with the lakes and even small ponds now open and she's ALIVE!! I took it straight to the lake, jumped the 3 foot open water just to drill her first hole in the 4" ice!! well, if anyone has any questions on any of the assembly or where I got the parts, just message me.. ebay, Superior parts in Manchester, NH and a bearing shop also in Manchester.. The only thing I have now for a question... I couldn't find a new governor flap, mine is flimsy and I think it's my problem... when I open up the throttle, it only goes halfway.. I need a spring (my own thinking of what to do now) to spring it more so it'll open all the way up.. Trying to tune er up... the mixture screw is Low, the "H" is there but the hole isnt even drilled... so.. idle, got it to idle like a dream.. high end, needs another almost 1/2 turn to really run good wide open, but then when you let off she will stall and need to adjust it back to start it... I'm thinking maybe I have an air leak..? that's the only thing I can think of.. I guess I'll have to rip her off and seal it all up with some fingernail polish (little trick I learned in vocational school, it repels against gas)   that's all I have for now.. total parts I got: piston and rings; cylinder; crank bearings and oil seals; carb rebuild kit; carb gaskets; mitten pull start handle; fuel line; fuel filter; spark plug boot; spark plug; white lithium grease for the gear box; a few quick release pins ( I drilled a new hole for the blade to attach in seconds rather than put on head, twist 10 turns then line up holes and then screw in allen screw... all is well!! any ideas on the mixture screw?? or whatever it's called... the H&L screws (mine is just the L as noted earlier)  thanks guys!! glad to read here that some are still fishing.. lots of ice in Northern maine I hear..
yessah!

Offline Hardwata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1923 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:48 PM »
JIFFY POWER!!!  ;D

surflizard

« Reply #1924 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:06 PM »
JIFFY POWER-LESS ! ;D

Glad to hear ya got her back up and running MaineICER, Good job ! :thumbsup: Have you got the walbro carb on that, thats what is on my 8600 and it has both H and L screws, some of them had the chinese Zama carbs and they only had one mix screw ? I robbed a spring for mine off an old tecumseh mower motor at the dump and I was good to go ! Do you have 2 gaskets one behind the carb and one behind the spacer block, the one behind the spacer block went south on mine, but I traced the old one on gasket paper and cut it out with a razor. I hope you can get her dailed in, they are a great auger !  I have a new addition to the auger collection, Old Betty ! ;)2 :thumbsup:

Offline MaineICER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1925 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Nice!! even an "Eska-mo"  haha.. I met this old bird, like 75 or more, and I have talked him into possibly letting his MO go, looks just like that one!!  yeah I have the gasket.. theres 3..(typed in the part number into Ebay!!)  one in between the shroud and jug, spacer and shroud and then carb and spacer... mine is a Walbro.. its a WTA 4 A which i cant find another.. yeah there's only one mix screw, the L.. I guess I'll drill a small hole next to where the throttle bar comes out and hook the spring to the second hole of the throttle lever on the carb.. oughtta do it.. hey, do your mo's have the threaded shaft that goes into the bit? have to put the head on and spin like I was b***hin' about in the other post?? wondering if that was just a phase or if there's a bunch of em like that..
yessah!

surflizard

« Reply #1926 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Check smallenginesuppliers.c om, they have most of the left over Tecumseh motor part and carbs and rebuild kits for them ! The old girl hadn't run for a while, it was put away empty so I dumped in some mix and 5 pulls, she fired ! I had to pump it  a few more times and she coughed and farted a couple time and she smoothed right out !!I noticed she has a pinhole in the diaphragm so I ordered a rebuild kit for here and she'll be ready for next season !
 Ya, the 8600 Shark does, from what I can tell they started the threaded shafts in the 8500 models and stopped that after the 8900 models. Old Betty just bolts on, it has the tiny brass exhaust port with the wire mess screen on the bottom of the jug, Boy Oh Boy, doesn't that old girl Bark, BRAAAAAAAPPPTTT !!! :woot: :thumbsup:

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1927 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Nice pic Surf!! You have that ole Jiffy layin right where she belongs!! Nice shack too by the way, looks inviting! Hope the fishing picks up so you dont have time for any photo shoots with anymore of your auger collection ;D

surflizard

« Reply #1928 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:38 PM »
You be nice to my Jenny buddy, shes been with me for 13 years, shes a Good old All American Made Girl ! ;)2 :roflmao: That is the Pub, I helped a guy and his family who are just getting into ice fishing ! I gave them some tips on building a wheel house and they did a Great job on it too ! They have treated me to couple of weekends at their place on the lake in Maine, I was able to spend the night out there on the ice and I had a blast, got into some nice slab crappie that night too ! Too bad I took the photo with last years IS derby tickets ! :pinch: :roflmao:

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1929 on: Mar 01, 2012, 10:41 PM »
That be an awesome crappie and looks like you had a blast that day ;D thanks for sharing lizard and till next year,,happy fishing in our great American outdoors too :)

Offline MrMeiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1930 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Leaking From Carb...

Since we can't upload pictures, I'll try to describe what I've found the last 2 weekends.

I usually lay my new Mako on the ice with the spark plug up.  Last weekend, I decided to put it down with the gas tank up, and I noticed a yellowish fluid leaking from the carb area.  I thought little of it, flipped the auger over to have the tank down, plug up, and it seemed fine.  Now this weekend, I laid the auger on the ice as normal, and lo & behold, the substance appeared to leak(very little, mind you) again.  What the heck is it, and is this normal?  I wouldn't think its fuel because the fuel mix is blue.

:-\
FLAG!

surflizard

« Reply #1931 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I wonder if they forgot to wring out the excess air filter oil before they put the air filter element in ? There have been a couple reports of the gear housing dripping grease, but I can't imagine that would be dripping near the carb ? I posted the tech service number at the top of this page, give Eva a call and she will get it sorted out for you ! Good luck !

Offline MrMeiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1932 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:44 PM »
I'm thinking its just excess.  I'm not sure it comes from the carb, because the carb is housed in the protective plastic cover.  Just kind of looks like it. 
FLAG!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1933 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:34 AM »
...................... .................

surflizard

« Reply #1934 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Whats up Vex ? It be slowing down some around here now, most everyone is migrating to My Fish Finder ! I stick around IS just to keep the Mods honest and see if they is paying attention !!  >:D ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1935 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I stick around here because they are still running 60 Ton loads on the ice roads.   ;D

surflizard

« Reply #1936 on: Mar 14, 2012, 12:33 PM »
How many extentions you running now ? Whats the skinny on the Tempest, did you repair the throttle or replace it ?

P.S. I've got one more shot at some decent lakers Saturday if the shore ice holdS, rumor has it that a 15lb Troot was caught on a burbot set line in that cove 2 weeks ago ! They did get a photo of it before they released it, Nice Troot !!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1937 on: Mar 14, 2012, 04:42 PM »
How many extentions you running now ? Whats the skinny on the Tempest, did you repair the throttle or replace it ?

P.S. I've got one more shot at some decent lakers Saturday if the shore ice holdS, rumor has it that a 15lb Troot was caught on a burbot set line in that cove 2 weeks ago ! They did get a photo of it before they released it, Nice Troot !!

So far I haven't needed my extension, but haven't fished the big lake in a month. Back then I was down to the handles.   :o

The Tempest is sitting on the floor in my shop. I have replaced the throttle but don't have any faith in it so haven't used it.
I have another throttle that they sent me but I just don't have any faith that the machine won't get broken on the trail out.
When I removed it from my auger hauler I found more broken plastic parts in there. What a POS these new augers are.
I guess I could keep it around in case of emergency or when I can drive my truck to the location but in a sled they fall apart.
Maybe if I wrap it in 100yds of 1" bubble wrap it will arrive in one piece when I snowmobile out to my fishing location.   >:(

surflizard

« Reply #1938 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:03 PM »
 Saturday is the last Hurrah for me down here, there is one sheltered cove that still has 10" of decent ice and they have been banging the Rainbows in shallow. I'm hopeing to get out to the ledges and jig for lakers, I hooked a 24 " Pikerel and the Winch worked great, I hope I can find a decent laker to actually give it a little bit of a test ! ;D
  If it were me, if you don't want to do it yourself, I would send the Cobra motor out for a rebuild and just keep on running her ! Of all the new augers I looked at this fall, not one of those Plastic Fantastic, Ching Chong Fenderhead, built augers had anything that I could see would worth spending my money on ! I have enough extra parts to rebuild all of my old American made Steel augers, they will outlast me ! :thumbsup:

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1939 on: Mar 18, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Getting geared up for soft water, record highs and rain have soggified the lakes. Another couple of days like this and bu-buy to the ice. Not safe at all, ended up losing an old hard shanty. Had a foot of wet snow + slush on the lakes, impasse! Then rain and record highs, all pretty much over night. I figure Im not the only one. :-\
Need to replace impeller, starter, and fiddle with a few electrical connections, install the HDS-10, and Im out in the big lake after some pre-spawn wally's.
Lookin to buy a 40 acre farm, get off the grid, grow some organic vegetables, slay some deer, fill the fridge with fish, and shut down Monsanto and every other wasteful government spending agency before they render me useless!
RaMOna is all packed up for the season. Time to get on with other endeavors.
Surf, is My fish finder another site like this for soft water? Im guessing it is, if so, is your screen name the same on there?

surflizard

« Reply #1940 on: Mar 18, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Thats a big 10-4 Vex Ole buddy ! I go over to MFF occasionally, but I spead most of my off season here, much better crew here and a lot less Drama !! :thumbsup: I hope you can make the off the grid plan work buddy, More power to ya ! Good luck and stay safe out there, I'll be talkin to ya !

Surf

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1941 on: Mar 18, 2012, 07:32 PM »
just got my first auger, a mako on a blowout ;D, running the motor break-in outside ;D, i love that sound ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1942 on: Mar 18, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Welcome bob123. That's how I came on to mine, 13 months ago and hasn't seen the ice yet. May you have better luck, ha.
I hope you read the "Break-in procedure" . Scroll down to "reply" 957 to 958 at this link.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.940

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1943 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Welcome bob123. That's how I came on to mine, 13 months ago and hasn't seen the ice yet. May you have better luck, ha.
I hope you read the "Break-in procedure" . Scroll down to "reply" 957 to 958 at this link.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.940
i did the one surf recommended from a different link, but i need ice to get the two hour clutch break in that eskimo says the auger will take

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1944 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:39 PM »
although i have got 5 inches on the pond behind the barn

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1945 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:40 PM »
My clutch never slipped once, I was prepared for it but it never happened. Lucky me I guess ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1946 on: Mar 21, 2012, 11:42 PM »
I bought my Maco turbocut 8" back in 2003 and never had a problem.  Only things I've done is change the spark plug and blades. 

Offline JES

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1947 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:15 PM »
This was my 2nd yr with my stingray 33cc ice auger & I had trouble twice this yr with it .
1st time I somehow pulled the rope out of the recoil. Had to get a replacement recoil $45 but at least is was mostly metal
the original recoil was all plastic....
The 2nd time was this wkend and I think motor is toast .Drilled 3 holes and that was it .
I removed recoil and cant even turn engine over with a socket wrench + there is a lil clanking noise that doesnt sound too promising ?
oh well season is over for me anyway .
The lil sucker drilled holes like mad when it ran .
Anyone know where I can get a parts diagram from .
 before I tear it apart .

surflizard

« Reply #1948 on: Mar 28, 2012, 06:07 AM »
Give Eskimo a call, they do have a 2 year warrenty, you might just get lucky, who knows ??

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1949 on: Apr 02, 2012, 12:45 PM »
at menards they have a universal recoil handle for like 5 bucks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.