The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363772 times)

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #1890 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:53 AM »
I bought a 8" Mako a few weeks ago.  Nice, solid auger.  Replaced my z51 9", which had an unfortunate ending...

If anyone from Eskimo is reading -- PLEASE bring the 9" auger back!!  It is the perfect size for tip up guys. 

Offline EINCOLORADO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1891 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Hi Everyone -- first post and first time owner of a gas auger.  I recently purchased my first gas auger (Eskimo Z71 - see my proud profile picture :)), I've read a lot of the posts and found the "break in" procedures and then multiple inputs on what to run it with.  I'm going to list the questions I have based on the majority of what I've read so I can make my final purchases to put in the gas tank.  Yes I am not mechanically inclined, I want to treat my auger the best way possible so it hopefully lasts a lifetime, and I'm always willing to learn.

1. Should I breakin my auger and run it the couple tanks with the Viper oil that is pushed with Eskimo?
2. AMSOIL SABRE - it looks like there are multiple type of AMSOIL SABRE oils (Professional, Outboard, etc) which one am I looking for?
3. Should I breakin my auger in with the AMSOIL vice the Viper and just stick with it?
4. Should I stay with the mix ratio of 50:1 from the breakin period and on?
5. Viper Kit - should I get one and keep it onhand or just buy an extra regular plug, etc?
6. Ethanol free gas - is this just regular gas at the pump?  Should I just buy the 93 octane at the pump?
7. Fuel additives - should I add a fuel additive and when?  What kind?
8. SEAFOAM - do you always add this to your fuel mixture?  When do you use this?
9. Should I drain the left over fuel at the end of the season?  If so, should I do it manually or run it dry?
10.  If I empty the fuel tank at the end of the season, should I put anything in it to protect it during the off season and if so how to I remove it when its time to start up again?

Thanks for all the education -- I want my MO to last and hopefully by consolidating all these questions it will be a quick reference for everyone else with these questions.

Eric

surflizard

« Reply #1892 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Welcome to F.O.E.A.O. EINCOLORADO and congrats on the new auger !

1. yes, use the viper at the 50:1 for the breakin and your first tank of fuel.
2. yes the Saber Pro, here is the  Product Code: ATPPK-EA. Most run it at 80:1, I run it at 100:1 with no trouble !
3. no see#1
4. see #1
5. just buy an extra plug. A spare plug and wrench in your gear can really save the day on the ice !
6. if you can find ethanol free gas, by all means use that. 87 octane starts better in the cold !
7. If you use eth blended gas, use either Startron or amsoil quickshot fuel additive.
8. I only use seafoam on older augers that have run eth gas and the carb needs cleaning.
9. pour out the access and run the auger till it stalls, pull the spark plug and spray a little WD-40 or fogging oil in the   cylinder. one squirt will do it and replace plug.
10. no need, the residual coating of the fuel stabilizer will protect it.
 Good luck with the new MO and all MO action shots are gladly appreciated !!

Surf S.A.A.

Offline EINCOLORADO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1893 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Thanks SURF -- answered my questions perfectly!  I'm going to accumulate what I can this week and get my MO broke in so I can hit the ice.  Can you also tell me about the F.O.E.A.O as far as the what it entirely stands for and the badge?  Thanks Eric

surflizard

« Reply #1894 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Fraternal Order of Eskimo Auger Owners = F.O.E.A.O. It started out as a thread for MO owners to get together and chat about the augers made by the oldest established ice auger company out there ! It snowballed into a Virtual Juggernaut almost overnight because of what all the other MO owners contributed as far as mechanical knowledge and auger use experience ! The MO badge came about when other members asked me about designing a custom badge to fly in our siggy box that let other Eskimo owners that we are all part of a giant group ! You right click on the eskimo badge and save it to a photo bucket account and go to your profile page and paste it into your signature box, there are more detailed instructions back in the thread. Our in house computer techo wizard "DasRottweiler" can customize it with you auger model if you send him a PM!

like mine !       

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1895 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:03 AM »
Welcome to show de Cadillac Eincolorado!! Glad to have ya! It appears most everyone is on the ice lately and away from the forum, thank god we finally have something to fish on out there!

Tight Lines and be safe!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1896 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Hope you are all out catching a bunch of fish.   I am headed to Lake Simcoe tomorrow and hope to catch a lot of jumbo perch.  I'll post some pictures if I do.  The following weekend I am going to the very northern part of Michigan where they have 10 inches of ice to fish for perch and walleye.    I will finally get to rip into some ice with my MO   Took till the end of February but oh well nothing I could do about it this year.  She will be like brand new when I bust her out next season.

Tight lines brothers!!!

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1897 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Welcome to the club Eincolorado, I'm sure you will enjoy your new MO.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1898 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Okay, I used the search feature and found this thread  ;D Eskimo  model 8900.. broken and needs a clutch Drum and pinion gear. anybody have any idea where to get parts ? tia

surflizard

« Reply #1899 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Your best bet would be to call Eva at Eskimo technical service and see if they have any of the 8900 parts left ? She was able to find me a new fuel tank for my 8600 !

Ardisam, Inc.
1360 First Avenue
Cumberland, WI 54829
Phone: 800-345-6007
Fax:     715-822-4180
Email: [email protected]

Customer Service Hours
8 am -- 5 pm M-F CST

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1900 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:56 AM »
Yes, even though the part is expensive, it is metal and not plastic. I will call just to be sure I order all the necessary parts. Still better than dropping 300 or 400.00 for a new model.. this one runs first or second pull and as some have said is reliable auger. Wish I could tac-weld this sheared Clutch Drum but probably would not work? Best order a new one for 70.00 in parts/shipping thanks for the reply sl

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1901 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:31 PM »
After waiting all year for thick enough ice in Kalamazoo to use my new Z71 I finally took a trip up north where there was 10 inches of ice.  I was so pumped up to drill some holes.  She did not disappoint me at all.  I am happy I went with Eskimo even if the company sold out to China.  Ripped through the ice like it was nothing.  Going out Saturday and Sunday as well so I get to use her all weekend.   

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1902 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:49 PM »
 Nice eye my friend wtg ;D ..I fixed my Eskimo today andI thank you lizard for the site where i saved about 10.00 for the part needed,, ( gear 7T pinion&clutch drum) about 65.00 with shipping but was easy and fun replacing.. first time I did it and it was worth it knowing this old Auger is a good one.. Amazin the old original steel drum sheared like it did but, I'm happy to know all the internals including the replacement is all steel too. Just wish the season by me wasn't shortened by this recent warm spell :-\ ty again lizard..btw..I  primed it with a little startron  ;)

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #1903 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:09 PM »
I'm pretty bummed out right now.  Just got back from a trip and noticed a couple of the allen head bolts on the power head that bolts the clutch drum on were backed out a little bit, tried to retighten them and snapped 2 of the 4 off.    Also found one completely missing, and the holes on two were rounded out.   Got to try and find some replacement parts now.   

surflizard

« Reply #1904 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Glad to help privateeyes, good to hear they took care of ya ! Sorry to hear of the breakdown FRESHBAIT, not the way to finish out the season ! I realize its a little late, but just for piece of mind, I go over the Whole auger before the season and after the season and check every screw and bolt, the vibration of a 2 stroke will tend to loosen some up over time and its cheap insurance.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #1905 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:36 PM »
I usually give her a quick once over twice before/after each trip, lately I've become kinda lax and have let that good habit go by the wayside.  First indication that whe was vibrating more than usual was about 2wks ago I noticed the hex head bolt that holds the auger on was backing out.   Tightened her back up and went to give her another looks see and found those allen head bolts in the clutch housing starting to back out.  Looked briefly online last night at replacement parts,  doesn't look like its gonna be to much.   

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1906 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Just sold my Jiffy stealth stx 9" and am waiting for my new Z51 10"....got tired of watching guys with Eskimos blow through 3feet of ice like butter......
BOWHUNTER68

surflizard

« Reply #1907 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:49 AM »
Welcome to the thread bowhunter68, the jiffys haven't been the same since they stopped using the Tecumseh motors ! There are a lot of Z-71 owners here so if you have any questions at all feel free to ask away !

Offline 05liberty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1908 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:03 PM »
I bought a Stingray about 7Yrs ago and have just started using it this year .... what a great little auger !!!! Its quiet and smooth and dosent choke you out with fumes like my Step-fathers old J$#%y .. which I used this past weekend . Ill stick with the Eskie thankyou

surflizard

« Reply #1909 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Welcome to the shanty 05liberty, Glad to have ya aboard ! you can't go wrong with those older Stingrays !!

Offline MrMeiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1910 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Hey all, new member here, just popping in.  It looks like this is THE authoritative place for help and opinions on my 2 Eskimos.  I have an old 8900 and just got a new Mako 8" this past December. 

Related:  I'm looking for a new gas tank for the 8900 that won't cost me $40.
FLAG!

surflizard

« Reply #1911 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Welcome to the thread MrMeiz, the more the Merrier ! I had to track down a tank for my 8600 Shark and I could not find a tank for under $40.00 unless you buy a wreck for parts. Thats what I had to do to get a air cleaner for mine, they don't make them anymore ! Thats pretty short money actually because the new auger tanks are around $ 55 !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #1912 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:22 PM »
I paid $12 for mine last year for mine from MY source. I'll sell ya all ya want for $55.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Y-bone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1913 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:32 PM »
I've got a stingray about 6-7 years old, and I just picked up a new z71 a few days ago to replace a Jiffy Model 30 10".   Took it out tonight and drilled a few holes, WOW, it just flew through the ice.  Didn't even have to lean on it ;D

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1914 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:27 PM »
The Z-71 is a great machine.  I am glad I made the purchase this year.  Wish I could of used her more.  I am getting ready to clean her up and put her up but will look at her fondly once in awhile as I dream about ice next season.

Hope all of you that still have ice keep tight lines!!!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1915 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:25 AM »
I ran some startron mixed fuel before storing away in the basement. To all my IS members," long may you run" hope we are all back here next ice season God Willing ;D

surflizard

« Reply #1916 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:33 AM »
I paid $12 for mine last year for mine from MY source. I'll sell ya all ya want for $55.
Well, help the guy out would ya ? ;D

I don't know how you guys do it, I'm not that strong ! I run my augers once a month year round, gotta hear em and smell em !! :woot: :roflmao:

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1917 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:07 AM »
Lizard, Do you empty your fuel or leave alittle in to keep lines from drying out? I think it may be wise to empty all the fuel and run it out before storing. This way next time ,it is all new fuel mix ;)

surflizard

« Reply #1918 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Lizard, Do you empty your fuel or leave alittle in to keep lines from drying out? I think it may be wise to empty all the fuel and run it out before storing. This way next time ,it is all new fuel mix ;)
I fill them and run them once a month, I like to listen to them Purr, a full tank gets me thru the softwater months and I'm ready to go come ice up ! I treat my fuel with startron or Amsoil quick shot fuel stabilizer and I'm good to go !
  If you drain the tank and run her her dry, its a good idea to pull the spark plug and give the cylinder a coat of fogging oil or even WD-40 and pull the motor over slowly once or twice to coat the piston and cylinder. Install the plug, tell her that you love her and hang her on the wall where she will be safe till next season ! :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1919 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:33 AM »
That sounds like a good idea.. I like to do just that ;D  TY ..I don't like leaving any gas mix in small tanksand fuel lines.. did this with an echo leaf blower and the fuel tank lines got soft and broke and needed replacements fuel filter/lines in the tank. I guess fuel lines need replacing eventually but, draining the gas tanks is probably the best way of helping preserve such internal parts?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.