The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363779 times)

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mako 10"
« Reply #1860 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Guys, I posted elsewhere, but didn't get much feedback.

I am looking for MAKO 10" owners.

Specifically, I need to know if the Mako is capable of running thru 30" of ice, without bogging down.  Is the .3hp difference between the Mako and z51 crucial, with a 10" auger?

I am a previous z51 owner....

Thank you.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #1861 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:50 AM »
I just wanted to add a bit of info.

I am using 30" as an upper limit of what I might encounter in a 'real' winter... certainly not this year. I live in Minneapolis, and fish the metro and areas of Wisconsin.

I also am mainly a tip up guy, so unless I start jigging again, hole count is on the low side....

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #1862 on: Jan 22, 2012, 12:00 PM »
The Mako would probably do the job, but I believe you would certainly appreciate any extra power you can get once the ice gets over 20 inches deep. Especially if you are drilling lots of holes. If you just go to a spot and blast 4 holes or less you would be good with either. If you are drilling 30-40 then extra ponies help.

Right now there are lots of clearances going on and I am seeing the Shark 51 priced within 20 dollars of the Mako which is a great deal. I bought a factory demo Shark 51 for 260 dollars. Look around, this time of the year has great deals but you need to pull the trigger fast because they are first come.

surflizard

« Reply #1863 on: Jan 22, 2012, 12:58 PM »
If you have your heart set on a 10 ", spend a few more bucks and grab the Z71, Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it !  ;)2 :thumbsup:

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1864 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:13 AM »
I had a Mako, the 8" drilled great. Deepest ice I used it in was 3 ft. I put a 10" on it and it would still drill but would bog down. I bought the Z71 this year( I call it Hop Sing since I found out its made in china) I drilled through 22" of ice a couple weeks ago in 12 seconds, -5 temp. no bogging, no slowing down. Spend the extra cash if you have it and get the Z71. I drll a lot of holes, 50 plus a day. Its never let me down, starts in 1 or 2 pulls every time. Coldest temps were -9 and no problems and while other are still drilling I'm fishing. I've been using it since the 2nd week of Nov. 2 or 3 days a week. It gets used!

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1865 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Finally got to use my new shark!!!  Took until yesterday to have ice enough for it.  Now of course we have another warm up... But man I love that auger. So sweet!!!
I love a flag!!!!

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #1866 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:40 PM »
 :tipup:hell ya i bought a shark last year and i luv it!!! took me a while to get used to it they dont seem to like being turned on and off repeatedly but once u learn its quirks itl outcut a jiffy ne day.  ESKIMO NATION!!!!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1867 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:04 PM »
43 degrees with thunderstorms and pouring down rain, I fished through it all on 9" of ice. ;D ;D ;D

Ended up with 5" of water on top of the ice, it was rushing down my holes like someone flushed a toilet............seri ously!! :o :o :o

12 FOW on my flasher, I could see the bubble and ice trails all the way down to 9 FOW on the flasher. It was like a mega whirlpool, Ive never seen anything like it. ??? ??? ???

Apparently the fish werent diggin it, they were below me but wouldnt cooperate. I tied enough knots to become a boy scout leader and still no takers! Temps down in the upper 20's today, heading out in a few to jack up the ole box and make sure this wind doesnt carry it across the lake on me again like last year during the January thaw ;)
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1868 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Hey Brothers,

I finally got out last weekend.  Got into some nice perch in the evening.  If the ice holds out I'll get another trip or two out before I head out of town for the U.P. of Michigan for work next week.   I hope you all are doing well.   

Tight Lines Fellas

surflizard

« Reply #1869 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:29 AM »
Glad to hear folks are getting on some ice and catching fish finally, Its a tough year for ice all the way around ! Take care out there guys, Good luck and stay safe !

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mako 10"
« Reply #1870 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Guys, I posted elsewhere, but didn't get much feedback.

I am looking for MAKO 10" owners.

Specifically, I need to know if the Mako is capable of running thru 30" of ice, without bogging down.  Is the .3hp difference between the Mako and z51 crucial, with a 10" auger?

I am a previous z51 owner....

Thank you.

I have the 10 inch mako and up here near the end of the season I am punching threw almost 5 ft of ice with no bogging down at all. 30 inches should be no problem. I have to use the 18 inch extension on mine to get threw our ice up here.

Offline simbadon_s

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1871 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Hey guys I noticed that there is not a whole lot of video reviews for the stingray so I was out the other day and made one. Check it out if you like.

surflizard

« Reply #1872 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Well Done simbadon_s and welcome to the thread ! Thanks for taking the time to put the reveiw together and sharing it with us ! :thumbsup:

Offline simbadon_s

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1873 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Not a problem at all

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1874 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:11 AM »
New tips for TC-300 and Those stupids spring's governor!

Dont have choice to again take off the carb on my darling! cause she does'nt want to drink gaz!!

But this time,,i tried to be smart about those  crazy spring!

Before take out the Walbro!

As usual, put a nail on the gaz hose!

take off the air-filter case!

And think a little about this point! ''The place that the governor's get in and out!

Why not just block-it? So anything could get out! Yess! masking tape! Work's well and  be able to take off the carb, without any mess about those stupids springs! :)

Unmount and clean the carb well!

re-install the carb was really funny with all the spring-kit at his place! Yesss!(don't know why i did'nt think about that before!) All in place, just take-off the masking tape! That's all...And Darling is now ready to bite again!

Hope it help you!

I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

surflizard

« Reply #1875 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Very clever idea Steven, saves a lot of frustration !! :thumbsup:

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1876 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Nice video, welcome to all the new members!  Hopefully I will get a chance to use my MO tomorrow, I hope everyone else is getting a chance to hit the ice.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1877 on: Jan 29, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Inboard cam!  ;D ===> 

She was cold for the first hole! but ok for the second one! Got an 8'' manual Normark finbore(they turn the same way) fixed on it by add an 1lbs very thick aluminium fitting ! Around 18-20'' inches thick! She is old, but still rock-on! :tipup:
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

surflizard

« Reply #1878 on: Jan 29, 2012, 03:57 PM »
That carb rebuild did the trick Steven, well done, she sounds good !

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1879 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:23 PM »
What do I need to do to put my auger away for the year?   It is sad but I don't think I am going to get the chance to use it this year.  Bought a brand new Z71 and we have had a terrible winter.  Been out a few times but the ice has only been 4 inches at most and my hand auger was able to handle that in a few turns.  Anyway starting to think about what I am going to need to do now to put her away.  Appreciate the help!!!

surflizard

« Reply #1880 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that IceinKzoo, we still have Febuary, she may just surprise you !! Running fuel stabilizer nowadays with the ethanol in the gas is almost a requirement to keep them out of the shop ! Drain the tank and start the auger and run it till it stalls, pull the plug and give the cylinder a squirt of fogging oil, or WD40 or marvel mystery oil, replace the plug and hang on the wall till next season !

Offline magnumdeke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1881 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Loving my new Z51 ;D Went out today with my brother inlaw and his two kids after about the 50th hole searching for fish, he cut 45 of them and I cut the rest I asked him how many he would have done with his hand auger, his reply was three, LOL rock on Mo

Offline wglanville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1882 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I just got a Piranha, so far I love it.  It seems to bounce around in the hole a little, even after I put new a blade on, not sure what that is about.  Plus I took it apart, and its pretty low on lube in gear box so I need to refill that, also the air filter sponge is shot, can I use any sponge or do I need to get something specific?  Let me know, I want to keep this thing running as long as I can

surflizard

« Reply #1883 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Congrats on the new augers guys !

Check the center point on the Piranha to see if the tip is rounded over, the sharper the center point is, the smoother it will cut, most any type of engine filter foam will suffice, most hardware stores and small engines shops will have it.

Offline wglanville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1884 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:08 PM »
thanks for the advise

surflizard

« Reply #1885 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:10 PM »
P.S. Welcome to the shanty wglanville, Glad to have ya aboard !!

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1886 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:43 PM »
My new z-51 cuts like a SHARK!!!!!!! :clap:

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1887 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Ive been fishing non-stop for the most part and I have to tell ya that my RaMOna is the best cutting, fastest starting auger I have ever owned. Z-51 Shark!

I punch around 30-50 holes everyday unless Im fortunate enough to land on them on the first stop and she doesnt skip a beat!!

Good luck out there guys and be carefull, we have 10" or so but its not the best ice, half of it is white soft ice and the bottom half isnt even that hard!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1888 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Nice thread Surf.. ;)
Jig em up!

surflizard

« Reply #1889 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Glad ya stopped by Cub, A lot of Good people helped out !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.