The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363813 times)

surflizard

Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #1770 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Congrats on joining the EskiMO Brotherhood !! If you go to the Amsoil site www.amsoil.com they have a dealer locator there that can tell you if there are any dealers close to you ! Check the Stabile to make sure it is not the older red colored one with the alcohol in it, the newer green colored stabile has no alcohol in it and is designed to work with the ethanol blended gas to prevent it from breaking down. I switched to the Amsoil Quick shot fuel treatment and it made all of my engines, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke run like never before !!  :thumbsup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #1771 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Use non-oxy gas if you have it in your area. Contrary to popular belief, makes no difference if you use premium or not. Concentration of alcohol in the ethanol garbage is still roughly the same, and lower octane gas actually has more usable BTU's upon combustion.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1772 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:16 AM »
A quick question about the new model aluminum handles.  I have been to Eskimo's website and see that they offer the new aluminum handles on both the Z51 and the Z71.  I have seen proof that the Z71 does exist with the new model handles.  However I am looking more towards the Z51 - going to start with an 8" and then if ever needed (probably be too late at that point) I will go up to a 10".  Apparently the Z71 is only offered in 10" this year, and I can't yet afford to purchase the other size bit too.

My question is does the Z51 with the aluminum handles exist as well?  I have read several reviews and seen several models that are of the plastic handles only.  I would like to get the new latest and greatest, but can't seem to find it anywhere.  Since it's Saturday I figured I would check here first - then give Eskimo a call on Monday if needed.

surflizard

« Reply #1773 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Yes there is an Aluminum handled Z-51, you have to specify it at the purchase time, dealers are pushing leftovers !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1774 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:30 AM »
A quick call to Eva at 1 800 345 6007, ext 146, will put ya in the Red. ;)

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1775 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Thanks guys - funny thing is I have actually ordered one (well, two now) from the same company and been shipped the plastic handle version.  I specifically made the request for the aluminum one both initially and again for the replacement.  Granted it would probably work just fine, but like I said latest and greatest.  I won't mention the company at this point because 1. blood is still boiling after it being twice now, and 2. still trying to resolve it with them.  Just wanted to make sure they really are out there.  Probably my fault for not going directly to the the source (Eskimo) for it in the first place.  Just got a good deal for the money (so I thought) but almost not worth it for the headache.

But hey, on the plus side I now have 2 Z51's sitting in my garage.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1776 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:44 AM »
*NEWSFLASH* This small engine explosion was caught on camera outside the home of one Mr. S. Lizard, who had attempted to combine a Jiffy engine and a 'MO engine, creating a hig-revving hybrid. When interviewed, all Mr. Lizard could mumble,over and over was, "but I ported and polished them, and that made it worth it!!!" Insiders say a close friend, a Mr. Rebel, had advised Mr. S. Lizard NOT to fool with his 'MO, citing the chance of "irretrievable and far-reaching harm"..... :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1777 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:50 AM »
So that's what shook the world under my feet. Geez, and 3000 miles away.     :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: >:D

surflizard

« Reply #1778 on: Jan 14, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Ha, Non believer, it ran like the wind for 48 seconds, I consider that a success !! Once the Missus pulled that chunk of recoil spring outta my forehead, everything was just Hunky Dory !! :thumbsup:

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1779 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:22 PM »
here is your badge MaineICER

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #1780 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Just got my z51 last night.  I took a few extra pulls to get it started than I had hoped but after storing it in my Jeep over night I just started it on the second pull.  I'm now breaking it in.  Idled ten min and she is now resting.  I used regular gas with oil and stabil.  I couldn't find AMSOIL.  Where is it sold?  Should I have used premium gas?  It appears that there are different points of view on this.  I can't wait to tear up the ice tomorrow!

Mine took way more pulls to start than I expected too but I think I didn't have it primed enough. Once I did get it primed it took right off.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1781 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I got mine started and broke in yesterday and took it out to drill a few test holes today and it cut like a champ. Tomorrow I go fishing and will get it going on it's maiden voyage.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #1782 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Here you go Guys I just found this thread.  Why it took me so long.  I'm on my second Eskimo auger.  MY first one was given to me by my uncle and it was from the mid to late 70's.  It had the Bicycle style handle bars with the thumb throttle rod.  Awesome auger.  then came my Eskimo Shark about 10yrs ago.  Still on the orginal blades, But I'm getting ready to change them out with new and have the old ones resharped.   I took some video of the auger throwing her first chips of the year. 
Check out at:

surflizard

« Reply #1783 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Welcome to the thread FRESHBAIT, Glad to have ya aboard ! I run an older 8600 10" Shark and love that old girl !  :thumbsup:

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #1784 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:29 PM »
very nice!!!!!!!!!   Since my origanal eskimo I'll never have anything else. 

surflizard

« Reply #1785 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:53 AM »
They don't make them like they used to, Sad but True ! :'(

Offline sperley03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1786 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:07 AM »
Just got my z51 last night.  I took a few extra pulls to get it started than I had hoped but after storing it in my Jeep over night I just started it on the second pull.  I'm now breaking it in.  Idled ten min and she is now resting.  I used regular gas with oil and stabil.  I couldn't find AMSOIL.  Where is it sold?  Should I have used premium gas?  It appears that there are different points of view on this.  I can't wait to tear up the ice tomorrow!
PM sent.

Offline magnumdeke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1787 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Looking to buy a Shark Z51 8", Does anyone know if Glens is shipping the old or new handle style in 8"? it is not mentioned in their description for the 8 but is mentioned on the 10"       

Thanks, Rick                                                                                                               

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1788 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Looking to buy a Shark Z51 8", Does anyone know if Glens is shipping the old or new handle style in 8"? it is not mentioned in their description for the 8 but is mentioned on the 10"       

Thanks, Rick                                                                                                               

Good question - I'd like to know also, as I am about to order....

Offline magnumdeke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1789 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:19 PM »
YA I want in on the MO Madness, but really want the 8" with new style handle for that darn good price!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1790 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I did quite a bit of checking and it seemed as though they were using the old handles on the 8" z51's. I just got one last week from Eskimo that was a demo model at a pretty good price. It has the composite handles.

I finally got out on the lake today and drilled a whole lot of holes just to get a feel for it and while the composite handle doesn't bother me, I can see where the plastic throttle lever is going to be the weak link in the auger. It seems that it is put in a position that it will be easy to get hooked on things when putting in the truck bed or on the sled.

Other than that little thing the auger ran like a champ, drilled fast, and made me a pretty happy camper.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1791 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I did quite a bit of checking and it seemed as though they were using the old handles on the 8" z51's. I just got one last week from Eskimo that was a demo model at a pretty good price. It has the composite handles.

I finally got out on the lake today and drilled a whole lot of holes just to get a feel for it and while the composite handle doesn't bother me, I can see where the plastic throttle lever is going to be the weak link in the auger. It seems that it is put in a position that it will be easy to get hooked on things when putting in the truck bed or on the sled.

Other than that little thing the auger ran like a champ, drilled fast, and made me a pretty happy camper.

surflizard

« Reply #1792 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Specify the new model with the Aluminum Handles, if they can't Guarantee delivery of that model, tell them thanks, but no thanks !! If you don't, they will try to give you a left over !! Good luck and play Hardball with them !!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1793 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Fellow Brethren.......its been awhile ::) ::) ::)

I have just returned from a week of icefishing on Northern Michigans Lake Gogebic. The fishing was slow but the fellowship, you cant put a price on. The interesting thing is, there were 8 of us, my MO, and two other Jiffys. Wellllllll guess what.................. Yep, both Jiffys went down and RaMOna had to do all the work, 8 guys x 3 lines + moving two or three times a day = a ton of holes in the ice. She cuts like a champ and Im glad I bought er' ;D ;D ;D

One thing I noticed as it was 6 degrees out there, keep the ice clear of the auger bit around the blades, that area needs to remain free and clear of ice or it wont cut properly.

To bad the fishing was slow but like I said, The time spent with 7 of my best buds is irreplaceable. One day at a Time!!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1794 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Fellow Brethren.......its been awhile ::) ::) ::)

Wellllllll guess what.................. Yep, both Jiffys went down and RaMOna had to do all the work, 8 guys x 3 lines + moving two or three times a day = a ton of holes in the ice. She cuts like a champ and Im glad I bought er' ;D ;D ;D

Did you expect anything else? Glad ya had a good time...I'm thinking of turning Mr. S. Ray into a hatrack...we're at 39 degrees right now, still... >:(

surflizard

« Reply #1795 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Well gentlemen, I was fortunate enough to actually stand on some frozen water today ! I was not easy for me to do, But I did it regardless !! I didn't have any gear, but it was good to at least stand on some ice !! :thumbsup:

Offline magnumdeke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1796 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:06 PM »
I confirmed with Glens the 8" is the old style and the 10 is the new,Sux that my round HT tipups do not like a 10" hole, decisions decisions!!!!!!!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1797 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:02 PM »
I can see where the plastic throttle lever is going to be the weak link in the auger. It seems that it is put in a position that it will be easy to get hooked on things when putting in the truck bed or on the sled.

Yup. Mine lasted one trip on my new Mako.     >:(
Currently looking for an old bike brake lever to fab up a replacement that  will last.    ::)

surflizard

« Reply #1798 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:08 PM »
That sucks buddy, is there a Manufactures Tag on that auger anywhere, Eva at Eskimo says they aren't building those Canadian market augers  ???

Offline magnumdeke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1799 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, one Z51 10" on the way!!!!!!!!!! ;D      If I do not like the 10" the replacement 8" is not that bad of a price! GO MO ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.