The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363759 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #1710 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Drifter,  it says in the book that the clutch may slip for the first 2 hours of use.  The clutch has to break in.  Give it some time and some use I bet that the auger will do what it was made for.

Hopefully you're right because it is a nice auger.   ;)

surflizard

« Reply #1711 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Ditto on the clutch, once the glaze on the clutch dogs comes off with a little use, she should grab just fine !

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #1712 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:53 PM »
This Saturday, my MO spun thru 3' of ice on Eleven Mile Reservoir in Park County Co

Sorry to have to mention the depth to all of you who are ICE-LESS
Owe No Man Anything...

surflizard

« Reply #1713 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Congrats on breaking the 3 foot mark Buddy, we are fishing with ya"ll in mind and spirit !! Keep the MO reports coming guys, Good luck and stay safe out there !!

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1714 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Just an update - I complained about bad factory edge on a new set of blades for my Z71 (they had visible burrs and were not smooth to touch). Got to try them and my old ones I touched by hand. The new ones cut better, about the same as the original ones new - no complaines. Now I need to try to learn to really sharpen my old ones myself or find a local place to do it

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1715 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Just picked up a Mako 8" last week! ;D Quick adjustment of the idle screw and it runs like a champ!

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #1716 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Got my Shark today. It is actually the old model with the composite handles rather than the new aluminum handles like I was expecting, but I guess at 259 dollars it isn't a big deal if they hold up OK.

Any problems with the old style handles I should be aware of?

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1717 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Where did you buy it from?

This is a recurring pattern with a few stores, I am ordering a new one after returning my last and want to make sure I steer clear of the bad ones.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1718 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:12 PM »
I got it from the EBAY store for Eskimo. It was a demo model that did show the model I got in the picture at the top of the page but down in the description it had the picture of the new style and also the description was exactly the same as the Eskimo website with the new aluminum handles.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #1719 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:57 AM »
I bought mine from Glens two months ago, showed the picture of a new model but I recieved last years model. I didnt request the new model, I just assumed it would have been because of the picture. Still got a great deal and Im not to upset, Z51 Shark 8"
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1720 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I'm curious as to what caused this failure, so please keep us posted. Thanks.s Nice Christmas haul. Ah, Boxing Day.
Well the oil pump is toast. You have to drop the diff, take out the axles,remove timing chains etc. Not worth fixing so I picked up an 08 dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 with 5.7 hemi. Supposed to pick it up this afternoon and will be heading out fishing in the next couple days.

surflizard

« Reply #1721 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:03 AM »
Sorry to hear about the truck going south on ya HH, I am glad to hear that you were able to get mobile again and your headed back out to chase the Big eyes, good luck and stay safe out there !

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1722 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Well the oil pump is toast. You have to drop the diff, take out the axles,remove timing chains etc. Not worth fixing so I picked up an 08 dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 with 5.7 hemi. Supposed to pick it up this afternoon and will be heading out fishing in the next couple days.

You will like the truck. I have an 08 2500 SLT Quad cab with the 6.7 Cummins and I love it. I had a hard time parting with the 98 ram 1500 5.9 but this truck made me forget it quick.

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1723 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:23 PM »
So how durable are these things?

I plan on letting friends use mine and I am just curious as to how concerned I should be with damage or abuse from misuse or other reasons.

Obviously no slamming it down on the ice and I am not going to take any chances opening old holes, is there anything else along those lines I should be worried about?

Thanks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1724 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:07 AM »
This is a rare situation where  a bit of mind changing, will take place in your near future DRock, when you realize you are the only one with anything to lose ~ not just damage to your auger, but the loss of your friends.
May I  advise, you use your auger for your friends ice holes and just that, may keep the friendships intact.   ;)2

surflizard

« Reply #1725 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:17 AM »
Truer words were Never Spoken, not a good idea !

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #1726 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:04 AM »
U touchee my auger , I breaka u face! ::)  Let em buy a hand cranker to share amongst themselves and see how they treat that, you will probably rethink letting anyone use/borrow a $400 tool. ;) My tools are how I feed, cloth and shelter my family, hence the lil green guy with the extended finger saying " no tools loaned" sticker on my toolbox. I understand ya wanna share the wealth and help out yer buds, let em help themselves, they will be yer friends longer.

surflizard

« Reply #1727 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Good plan DROCK, watching someone, friend or not pounding your auger with a metal scoop to knock ice off or slamming the auger up and down in a hole to make it cut better or so they think, is the best way to ruin a friendship or burst a blood vessel that there is out there !!  ;)2

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #1728 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:03 AM »
So how durable are these things?

I plan on letting friends use mine and I am just curious as to how concerned I should be with damage or abuse from misuse or other reasons.

Obviously no slamming it down on the ice and I am not going to take any chances opening old holes, is there anything else along those lines I should be worried about?

Thanks!
I will drill holes fo ryou all day long, but please don't ask to use or borrow my auger.  I had to scrape together $40 to buy my 1st Mora handcranker.  My friends can too, makes people appreciate icefishing all the more.  It's amazing how much more interest there is in going icefishing when there's a power auger involved.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1729 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:16 AM »
I will drill holes fo ryou all day long, but please don't ask to use or borrow my auger.  I had to scrape together $40 to buy my 1st Mora handcranker.  My friends can too, makes people appreciate icefishing all the more.  It's amazing how much more interest there is in going icefishing when there's a power auger involved.

Ain't that the truth!

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1730 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:45 PM »
OK.

So lets just forget about the whole borrowing thing to friends. I am still interested in whether there were any reliability issues with the composite handles on the shark compared to the older steel or the new aluminum handles that I should be aware of. If there are no issues with them breaking because they become brittle in extreme cold temps or just from the process of loading, unloading and the occasional "Oops" that happens in spite of our best efforts then I am fine with what I got.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #1731 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:43 PM »
saying " no tools loaned" sticker on my toolbox.

BIG sign on my chests of tools saying "Don't EVEN ask to borrow my tools"....  >:(

Been there for many years, yet some still do... ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #1732 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:55 PM »
 You were the one who busted Wanda's wooden leg Reb old buddy, I had to borrow your left handed monkey wrench to try and jury rig something for her so the poor woman wouldn't get hurt anymore than she already was !! :woot: ;)2  You Brute you, shame on you for asking a woman with a wooden leg to break dance !! :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1733 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Well, if you wouldn't have had a 1960's "Do the Twist" contest to Jerry Lee's "Shake, Rattle and Roll" between your Big Bertha and Wanda, maybe she wouldn't have become twisted in the auger's flighting, necessitating that horrendous ride on Mercy Airflight!!!!  :woot: :pinch:

surflizard

« Reply #1734 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:21 PM »
If you hadn't let Massive Mounds Martha swing from the chandellier after you poured all that stump blastin pound it and puke joy juice down her gullet, none of it woulda got outta control !! :woot:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1735 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Oh, ya, always me....who's the one that brought the jug of Porkypine kickapoo joy juice, and told Martha and her sister, Anaconda legs Laverne, that it was a new energy drink like that "Bull" stuff?? I can still hear it now, "It'll give you wings, girls!!" "Just try a little sippy or two here"...and I did NOT let Martha swing from the chandelier, I told her YOU thought she was a real "Swinger". That's the third place we can't go in anymore...pretty soon the 'Mo conventions are going to be outsourced to Rangoon, and we can all just hang out at the Kwiky Mart talking to Ahpoo... :woot: :wacko:

surflizard

« Reply #1736 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Fine then, this time you bartend and I'll drive the handicapped bus !! And No using the bull horn and Yelling free Helicopter rides out the window neither !!   :woot: :blink:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1737 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Yelling "free Helicopter rides" out the window...

But I want one... ;D

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1738 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:58 PM »
OK

So the composite handles are bulletproof then. Cool.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #1739 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:55 PM »
I just wanted to say hi.  I have just joined the club!  My new Eskimo z51 should be here Friday, just in time for the weekend.  Surflizard gave me some great info on how to break it in.  What are peoples thoughts on gas stabilizer?  Seafoam, Amsoil, or something else?  This will be my first power auger and I want to make it last, otherwise I may not be allowed to buy anymore toys. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.