The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363816 times)

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #420 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Yooper sounds like you're having the same problems that I had back in Dec. with my 8900.  Carb kit cured all my pain.  I dinked around with that thing for 3 hours.  Next day went and got the kit had it running in about half hour.  Just be careful of springs flying/rolling around you garage and you'll be fine.

surflizard

« Reply #421 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:29 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head Adam, Good advice ! Welcome da-yooper, Glad to have ya aboard ! The only thing I would suggest, Is to check the entire fuel system while your at it, The tank filter and fuel line can build up a thin layer of ethanol Snot and stop fuel also ! Just don't be too aggressive scraping off any old gaskets, Carb cleaner spray will soften them up for you. Good luck and let us know how you make out, Don't hesitate to ask questions, Thats what this F.O.E.A.O. Thread is all about !!
                                                                                                                                    Surf

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #422 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:39 PM »
da-yooper..you might want to replace those old gas lines while you're at it...I'll bet money they have or will have some hairline cracks in 'em... :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline da-yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #423 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:41 PM »
thanks for all the advice fellas! so here's my status (been out in the garage for last two hours)...gas line, fuel filter, and fuel/oil mix are all brand new. i decided to "go for it" and tore apart that walbro carb...easier than i thought! down in the guts i found a bunch of gunk (brown residue) that was keeping that little needle from allowing gas to enter (i think that's how it works). anywho, cleaned the crap out of everything with some carb cleaner and soaked the gaskets/diaphragms in some brake fluid (someone recommended that on another post).....put 'er all back together and whaddya know, she fired right up!
now the bad news...i can't keep the darned thing running unless it's on half-choke and i'm on the throttle. the idle-speed screw looks good....wondering if i tinker around with the idle-mixture screw if that will finally get her running like a champ?
one other thought i had....i'm currently at about 4500 feet above sea level (yooper born and raised, transplanted to montana)....do you think the elevation might mess something up? i know on my four-wheeler i had to buy a "high-altitude jet"...
ok back at it...thanks again, eh?!?

Offline da-yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #424 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:46 PM »
...one more thing i forgot to mention....the auger came from sea-level just a couple weeks ago....and is now living at the before-mentioned 4500 feet, without any adjustment to anything...
could that be part of the problem???

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #425 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Sea-level/altitude, yes. Also, I think the diaphragm is probably "pooped" out or has a pinhole...bad idea to use brake fluid...ask us mechanics that have been around since the '70's...that's an old trick. Your rubber needle tip/ seat is probaly not sealing well, and without new gaskest/seals, you will have a tiny air leak, effectively "leaning out" the mixture, making you run it on half-choke, to enrichen it... :whistle: As for the diving into it, bravo!! :clap:  :thumbsup:
Good man! Since she's all clean, get the new gaskets/diaphragms, adjust that for altitude, and you'll have one lean, mean, drillin' machine!!! :flex:

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Where you at in MT Yooper?  Bozeman here.  If you are close we could get together.

Offline da-yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #427 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:42 PM »
one more quick update...success...i think that bugger is good-to-go! got 'er fired up at half-choke and tweaked the idle-mixture screw and whaddya know, she purred like a kitten! it looks like all the gaskets and seals must be working fine, cause it sat there and idled for a good five to ten minutes, no choke, without any throttle from me. going to let it cool down again and re-try from a cold-start....but i think it's operational. the real test comes tomorrow...on the ice. probably bring the hand-crank auger just in case....
thanks again for all the advice fellas....new to iceshanty.com in the last few days, and lovin' it so far!

surflizard

« Reply #428 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Outstanding da-yooper, nothing more rewarding than a job well done , Congrats on getting her back up and Runnin !!  :thumbsup:

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #429 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Nice to hear you got the old girl running.

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #430 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Here's an interresting link! :)

ALTITUDE/CARBURETOR
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #431 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Just another Eskimo auger owner.  I've been running a 3 hp 10" Shark the last several years.  If there is another auger out there that will drill a 10" hole in 30" of ice as fast as this auger I haven't seen it yet.  I am in search of a fish I can't get through the hole.  So far haven't caught one yet.  GO BIG OR GO HOME!

da-yopper I can't help much more with your auger.  But I can say that there isn't a 2 stroke motor that had varnish in the carb that I haven't fixed with a good fuel system cleaning.  Now that you have it running spray some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb a few times while it is running.  This will get into any areas you might have missed when you had the carb apart.

Dan
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #432 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Good job, Yoop!!! ;D  Way to go!! Let us know how it goes!!!!!

DanAKAL...welcome..you're at the right place!!!! Gotta love those Sharks!!! RRRRRRRR and GRRRRRRR!!! :roflmao:

surflizard

« Reply #433 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Welcome DanAKAL, Glad to have another Shark man aboard, I'm running an older 8600 10" ! Just replaced my whole fuel system due to Ethanol damage ! I'm running Startron in the fuel now to prevent that from happening again !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #434 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:16 AM »
  I'm running Startron in the fuel now to prevent that from happening again !

And a shot or two of "Old Porkypine Sour Mash".... ;D

surflizard

« Reply #435 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Which, Me or the Auger ??  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #436 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Which, Me or the Auger ??  :roflmao:

If you had Ethanol damage, we know it's from that old girlfriend of yours, Ethel...the one with ..oops! I promised I wouldn't tell about it..never mind!!! :whistle:

surflizard

« Reply #437 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Don't you be disparaging on old Ethel Mister, she's the only women that I ever met that could pull a golf ball thru a garden hose with one breath and pull the chrome off a trailer hitch with the next, even if she was a little long in the tooth !!  :woot: :roflmao: I miss old Ethel, but my Aims gettin better !   :roflmao:

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #438 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:02 PM »
You guys be careful with additives!!  Especially where motor vehicles are involved.  Oh..Uh..But when it comes to my Eskimo fuel I use some additives.  I'm not sure of the composition of our fuel up here so we may or may not have as much ethanol as you guys.  It is my understanding that our winter fuel has always had some degree of ethanol.  FWIW I mix Amsoil Saber at about 50:1 with some Amsoil or Stabil fuel stabilizer and so far have had no issues with anything in the fuel system.  I also drain all of the fuel in the summer so it doesn't sit in my auger.  This has worked well for me so far.

Dan
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

surflizard

« Reply #439 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:41 AM »
Your right Dan, you do have to be careful with the additives. Here in NH, our fuel has 10% of Ethanol in it, Rumor has it that they want to increase it to 15% ! My older 8600 Shark sat with old gas in it for 4 years, before I got it and it nuked the fuel system, tank, filter, line and all the carb gaskets and seals ! I just finished rebuilding her ! I've been running the Amsoil Sabre also. I've had better results with the Sea Foam and AV gas, I pay a little more than most, But all of my small engines run better because of it too !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #440 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:50 AM »
You're absolutely correct, Surfmeister!!! I won't put anything but non-oxy and a touch of Seafoam now and then (which Eskimo recommends) in my "Mo!!!! Even that small amount of alcohol does degrade rubber/plastic parts/gaskets. So, if ya can find non-oxy, go with it!!!! Well worth the few cents more!! ;) In fact, I found out last night that small amounts of alcohol DO degrade things....like my feet...I kept stumbling around... :whistle:

surflizard

« Reply #441 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I keep trying to tell ya Reb, the Red button That Mayo installed in your Temple engages the Go Go Gadget Gyroscopically Controlled, Hydraulic Stabilizer systems !! The next time it happens, Just reach up and whack yourself in the head and you should notice a Difference Immediately !!  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #442 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I did that, and for one horrifying, pants-wetting second, I thought I was a Surflizard!!!  Musta hit myself TOO hard!!!  :wacko:  :roflmao: :roflmao:

surflizard

« Reply #443 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:20 PM »
JEEZ Reb a simple whack will suffice, not a Hay Maker coming outta left field !! Rebocky Balboa !  :roflmao: I had to have mine removed. Many Moons ago, Way up North, after 1 or 2, okay 26 too many Old Squaw Long Necks, I misjudged the Velocity and short circuited the actuator relay !! I bounced around the inside of that one room cabin like a Pinball Hopped up on Way Too many hits of 4 way window pane Acid ! After I Up righted the wood stove and reconnected it to the chimney, I said to myself, Self, That was Really Far Out and Groovy Man !! Me, Myself and I have never been the same since, But Man, We're here to tell ya, It's been a Heck of a ride since !!  :woot: :wacko: :blink: :roflmao:

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Rumor has it that they want to increase it to 15%

It's no rumor !!!!!  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/21/AR2011012103163.html

Say It ain't soo0000!!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #445 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Oh friggin' great!!!! :o KK, where the heck ya, been, man?!!! I hope ya been  drillin' and chillin' them big ones down!!! All we've had here is snow, snow, and the last coupla days, as I bet you've seen on the news...-25..
 -20...-18 again tonight....ARRGGHH!!!!  :%$#!: :%$#!: Ol' Surfy's gettin' whacked so bad out there in never never land I'm gonna have to head over there and bail him out before he blows a jug!!!!  :woot:

Figured that crap was gonna go to 15%....DON'T get me STARTED...I have some large weapons in the house and am quite skilled at using them... :whistle: This "gubmint" ain't gonna be happy until they trash everything through  their HUA stupidity that runs rampant in their ranks....JO's!!!!!!!! >:(
Time to start making our own moonshine....that's all that 15% swill is anyway..ethyl alcohol.....whaddya say, Surfy?! Time for a border run in Wildthing?! ;D

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #446 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Corn is for eatin, alcohol is for drinkin...Why are we depleting our food supply, driving up the price of grain, and gumming up our small engines? Oh, that's right, MONEY. In someone else's pocket no less.
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #447 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Oh, that's right, MONEY. In someone else's pocket no less.

You be right on the bean, ancman. What the Hell are these idjits thinkin'?! ??? My new 2010 F-150 even states in the manual "not to use E-85 more than 60% of the time, or more frequent service intervals will be necessary"...duh...you don't need to tell a lifelong mechanic that :nono:, Dorkwhistle!!! Oh boy, now ya got me goin... :flex: Surfy, ya better hold me down again!!!!  :callcops:

surflizard

« Reply #448 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:49 PM »
I'd say that section of the Union south of NY and North of VA sure does need a Enema, Yup It sure does !! We could cure 2  problems with one Giant Flush !! We could start fresh at 1600 Pennsylvania avenue and feed all the Poor Hungry Fishes off the East Coast !!  :thumbsup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #449 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I'm gonna whup somebody..... :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.