The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363803 times)

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #150 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Surflizard, this is a Tecumseh motor, runs 24:1. That's why I was worried about running the opti 2, and the compression. I'm not sure what these little motors should have for compression. have found specs but they all range from 40 lbs to 100 lbs so not sure if the motor is toast or not.  Oh and as far as her name, not sure yet, gotta see how good she is and if she is tempermental or not! Might have a few choice names for her then. Lol. Thanks for your help.

24:1? That's pretty thick. Mix up a gallon and try it. See how she does. Make sure it opens up and doesn't spew oil out the exhaust. They used to "over oil" the motors.

The old Mac chainsaw is 24:1, but says you can run 50:1 in the winter. It won't run if I don't. The old Tanaka on the Strikemaster called for 30:1. She didn't like it. Wouldn't open up and spewed oil everywhere and/or fouled the plug. The snowblower uses 50:1. Tried that in the auger. Screamed, but didn't have much smoke and I didn't want to burn her up. Finally settled on 40:1. Would run all day, even at -30. You might have to play around with a mixture that runs well and still keeps everything lubricated.

Anyone else run into this, or messed with fuel/oil ratios?   

surflizard

« Reply #151 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:19 PM »
I hear ya Ray, I have 2 Tecumseh powered augers, My old Eskimo Shark won't run right at anything less then 50:1 Of all the different ratios, she likes it the best ! My other Tecumseh is on a Jiffy Legend Lightning, I run it at 100:1 with 97 Oct and Amsoil Sabre, It runs like a Raped Ape !!The method to this madness is that I want to see what it will take, so far its on it second season and it still running Flawlessly ! There are a lot of guys that run their augers to company specs and swear by it, more power to em ! I've been tinking with motors for a while now and I like to tune some right to the edge, some times just a touch too far and POW !! I expect engine failures because of how far I push them, Oh well, then its time to put another one together ! I don't recommend doing it, but I can't help it sometimes ! That just  me !  ;D

Fordkisskrazy, Give her a shot at 24:1 and see how it runs, I agree with ray, I think its too thick and will smoke hard and foul the plug. Lets ask the F.O.E.A.O. Crew !

What ratios are all you different Mo Owners running ???

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I hear ya Ray, I have 2 Tecumseh powered augers, My old Eskimo Shark won't run right at anything less then 50:1 Of all the different ratios, she likes it the best ! My other Tecumseh is on a Jiffy Legend Lightning, I run it at 100:1 with 97 Oct and Amsoil Sabre, It runs like a Raped Ape !!The method to this madness is that I want to see what it will take, so far its on it second season and it still running Flawlessly ! There are a lot of guys that run their augers to company specs and swear by it, more power to em ! I've been tinking with motors for a while now and I like to tune some right to the edge, some times just a touch too far and POW !! I expect engine failures because of how far I push them, Oh well, then its time to put another one together ! I don't recommend doing it, but I can't help it sometimes ! That just  me !  ;D

Fordkisskrazy, Give her a shot at 24:1 and see how it runs, I agree with ray, I think its too thick and will smoke hard and foul the plug. Lets ask the F.O.E.A.O. Crew !

What ratios are all you different Mo Owners running ???

Hehe, BOOM! I'm not promoting engine failure. Personal experience has taught me that not all like to run at company specs. Especially as they get older. But the older engines were made better too. They could withstand a leaner mix. The new ones are so cheaply made I'm afraid to mess with it. The Stingray hasn't even had a whole tank through it. I'll stick to the 50:1 for now. Have always used Valvoline oil. Beat me up, but it's readily available and in 35 years haven't blown anything up. 

surflizard

« Reply #153 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:21 AM »
I've been using the Valvoline Synthetics in my vehicles for years Ray, I love it ! I never knew they made a 2 stroke oil, what it called ?

Offline Waynesburgjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Dec 17, 2010, 05:07 AM »
I use outboard oil, I think its quicksilver mixed 24:1  a little marine stabil and a shot of seafoam.  It runs so good in my outboard I'm gonna try it in the auger.

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:45 AM »
It's just a multi-purpose 2 cycle oil. Good or bad, it's worked well for years. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-65238/Detail

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #156 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:30 AM »
waynesburgjay: DO NOT run an outboard oil in your auger. Use ONLY an oil for air-cooled engines!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Hey guys just got off the phone with Brad Clark of opti 2. He says I shouldn't have any problems running the opti 2 at 70:1. Even told me to look on IS  and I would find all kinds of people using it. Lol. Still wonder though..........

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:58 AM »
^^^ Good stuff. My FIL used the stuff for over 30 years in his chainsaws. Never lost an engine due to oil issues. I currently use it at the recommended ratio.

Offline Waynesburgjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:39 PM »
waynesburgjay: DO NOT run an outboard oil in your auger. Use ONLY an oil for air-cooled engines!!!

I should be ok, it says it's good for all 2 stroke air or water cooled engines.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #160 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:14 AM »
took my mako (Maggie) out for the first time yesterday, 1 pull and she fired right up and gave me 25 effortless holes through 7 inches of ice. ;D ;D First gas auger I have owned and I love it.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline jonesy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:29 AM »
You're killing me, my mako is my first power augur and with the weather we're having it might not see gas and oil this year. Always a chance of an open winter in Nova Scotia  :'(

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #162 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Qoute: nypike :: took my mako (Maggie) out for the first time yesterday, 1 pull and she fired right up and gave me 25 effortless holes through 7 inches of ice.   First gas auger I have owned and I love it.

Hi " nypike"

Congrats on your first time out. Glad it all worked out. On my first power auger as well.

Man, I don't know about you.. but after drilling the first hole with my power auger ... I kinda  felt a little silly ( for lack of a harsher word ..LOL ...) of why I did not buy a Eskimo power auger way , way sooner. ( and my arms thanked me for it as well)
  gald it worked out for Ya and cought some nice fish.

8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #163 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:38 AM »
You're killing me, my mako is my first power augur and with the weather we're having it might not see gas and oil this year. Always a chance of an open winter in Nova Scotia  :'(
Hey " jonesy"
  Sorry to hear that you may not get the Ice that you deserve. Cause I hate to rub it in .... BUT ...  I gotta tell Ya.. you need some Ice, as  for the last three years all those guys that told me that I needed a power auger and all I said was... "ah!! don't need one.... Me tough ( as I banged my Man Chest).. I now see what the heck they were talking about. If one does not have to carry there auger up the side of a mountain or for 50 kms I would recommend a power auger to everyone.. and as I  think about it now.... They did tell me the same thing... LOL ...

I ( we all ) hope you get a chance to use it this year.. Hang in there.. and all the best to Ya!!

8) 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #164 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Isn't that a GREAT feeling, nypike?! Kinda like that "first kiss", huh?  ;) Glad ya got out there!!!! I'm just sitting here staring at the 22" of SNOW that's buried our few inches of ice we were just forming...does NOT look good at all for our season.... :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: I'm about ready to sneak out to Surfy's place, since he's gone "up country" for those giant trout this weekend. I know his freezer's full, and I know where he hides his pork rinds... ;D   Keep those pics comin', guys, that may be as close as I get to real ice for a while... :'(

PS...As far as the porkrinds, what's that in your Showdown box under the bench downstairs....you took the Showdown with you....:whistle:

surflizard

« Reply #165 on: Dec 19, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Glad to see all the new faces here on the F.O.E.A.O. Thread ! Jonesey, I will Pray to the all Knowing, all Seeing Fish Gods and Hopefully they will grant you ice making weather ! I know "Praying to some fish gods" ?? It works for me ! Hey Reb, recognize that Bait bucket, a buddy of mine out Minnesota way makes em, they work pretty Slick too !  :roflmao: Even had a Coyote come out and say howdy, too bad I didn't have the old Savage 99 in 308 with me, I would have sent him to meet his Maker, they're really doing a number on the deer here in NH ! Ice was kinda skinny, 6 " tops, so it was all spudbar work, sorry guys no Mo action shots !  :'(  Congrats NYPIKE, Maggie is Sweet lookin !

P.S. The Troller is the BOLLOCKS Reb !!!!  :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :roflmao: >:D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #166 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Surfy!!!! Good to see ya back with some FISH!!!! Say, that IS a nice lookin' areated bait bucket!!!! Good things made in Minnesota!!!!! Did I ever tell ya you can take the FREEZE BOTTLE out in the winter??!!! :roflmao:
Glad ya had a good time? Where's LLT's fish? Oh oh...she didn't skunk ya again, did she? Gonna send ya some SNOW for Christmas, since we don't have any ice or any way to get to it if we did!! :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #167 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Hey Surf

Great pics, nice fish. Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you are all back ok and safe.

8)

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Way to go Surf. At least you made it out. Hope to get out day after Xmas.

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Got a couple of questions for you gentlemen.

On Edit: Rebel answered my questions. Thank you. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #170 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:36 PM »
I'll pm ya, Ray.

surflizard

« Reply #171 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Thanks guys, I really hope mother nature gives you midwest guys a break from the snow so you can get out on the ice too !! Ray, I've used some of the Lucas Oil products and they make good 2 stroke injector oil, but I've never seen a Mix oil from them ?

I thought you said to keep the Snow Snake Bite Medicine in there Reb !  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #172 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I really hope mother nature gives you midwest guys a break from the snow so you can get out on the ice too !! Ray, I've used some of the Lucas Oil products and they make good 2 stroke injector oil, but I've never seen a Mix oil from them ?

I thought you said to keep the Snow Snake Bite Medicine in there Reb !  :woot: :roflmao:

I did, I did, Surfy!!! But after taking your advice and going to the laundromat for some female company, I had to DRINK IT after meeting wash 'n dri Wanda.... :sick: :roflmao:

surflizard

« Reply #173 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:55 PM »
JEEZ Reb, you know better than that !! You ALWAYS DRINK IT BEFORE ya go wandering for Wanda's !!  >:D :roflmao:

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:09 PM »
JEEZ Reb, you know better than that !! You ALWAYS DRINK IT BEFORE ya go wandering for Wanda's !!  >:D :roflmao:

I don't know....might wanna pour some on Wanda too. :sick:

surflizard

« Reply #175 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Whatever you do, don't light up, it will be the last thing ya do !! On second thought maybe being Blown up is better than a case of the Weird Wanda Worts, That kind of gift keeps on givin  !!  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Thanks. Now I'm trying to get the image of Warty Wrinkly Wanda, out of my head.

Just thought I'd mention......did my good deed for the year. Sold an Eskimo Mako to a guy at Mills Fleet Farm today. He was looking at augers for his son-in-law. (Nice FIL) They wouldn't give me my commission when I got to the register. Told me I'd have to speak to the manager.  :laugh:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #177 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Oh yeah? Well, I'll take care of him!!!!!!! You're gonna get all the Viper oil ya need, buddy!!!  :thumbsup:  Way to go, Ray!!!! If we can't be out there, at least we can sell more 'Mo's!!!!!!! I hope you told him about the F.O.E.A.O.,
and showed him your card signed by the GPOEAO?! (Grand Poobah of Eskimo Auger Owners)  ;)2 It's rumored that only 1 or 2 people have actually met him...I've heard that Surflizard ACTUALLY talked to him!!!  :o

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Oh yeah? Well, I'll take care of him!!!!!!! You're gonna get all the Viper oil ya need, buddy!!!  :thumbsup:  Way to go, Ray!!!! If we can't be out there, at least we can sell more 'Mo's!!!!!!! I hope you told him about the F.O.E.A.O.,
and showed him your card signed by the GPOEAO?! (Grand Poobah of Eskimo Auger Owners)  ;)2 It's rumored that only 1 or 2 people have actually met him...I've heard that Surflizard ACTUALLY talked to him!!!  :o

Yep, told him about Ice Shanty. (Left my FOEAO card at home) Wait.....there's a Grand Poobah? You mean like a royal fez wearing eskimo? Wow. Bet he could talk some sense into that manager.

surflizard

« Reply #179 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:33 AM »
Oh ya Ray, he is the All Knowing, All Seeing, Fez totin, Wandering Wanda Wipin, Big Kahuna, Grand Pooba, Supreme Ruler of the FOEAO Fiefdom !! Non other the our very own Rambunctious Rebel !! All Hail his Exaultedness !!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :roflmao: Sorry Reb, I just couldn't keep this Wonderful news to myself, now that we have a fearless Ruler to steer the helm of this Worm Riddled, Barnacle Encrusted old Skow we all know and love, the SS FOEAO !   :bow: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.