Author Topic: Advantage to high dollar rods?  (Read 17571 times)

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Advantage to high dollar rods?
« on: Dec 12, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Okay, I got a question. I'm sort of an old school guy,(I wouldn't give up my Vex for anything, tho). I've used a Genz lightnig rod for many years with a spring bobber and loved it. Really the only "good" rod I had, usually I use a Schooley rod with a slip bobber for my dead stick. This morning, I was talking with my son, and wondered, what's the difference between an expensive rod or a plain old Schooley jigging stick, when you put a spring bobber on the end anyway. Well, we went out this afternoon, and in the process of moving the shack, my Genz rod ended up 6" shorter than what it used to be :'( I'm gonna buy me another rod one of these days, but going with the Schooley for now. I mainly fish shallow water(less than 15 feet, many times less than 10) Strictly for panfish. Will it work as well, somewhat, or not even close?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Advantage to high dollar rods?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:07 PM »
For my open water rods price makes a huge difference. Some of my better ice rods though are cheaper rods. Berkley Lightning rods are decent if you can find a HT Black ice they are a great cheaper rod. Croixs of course are great and the Primer can be gotten for $20 or so.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2008, 05:35 AM »
IMO it depends on the manufacturer, parts used, and their QC. You can find a decent "plain" rod that may be better then a more expensive one. A halfway decent blank and guides matched together nicely can be cheaper and much better to fish with then an expensive rod with cheap parts thrown together and nothing more then a name stuck to it to justify the higher cost.
Look at some of the combos being sold out there...the rod can be halfway decent, sometimes not, and the reel cheap as crap, yet because someones name is attached to the rod they justify the higher cost.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2008, 07:55 AM »
For under 10' of water I'd rather take the $30 spent on a 'nice' rod....the $30 for a reel.... and buy 5 schooly's and some jigs.... rig each schooly up with a different jig and you're all set for a good day....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:03 AM »
I am the proud owner of a couple GLoomis rods (open water) they are extremely nice but I always go back to my $35 Ugly Stick. The GLoomis are 10 times the price and honestly not that much difference (flame away, I'm honest). Yes you can tell that you are holding quality equipment but the Ugly Stick catches more fish because I'm not afraid to abuse it a bit.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2008, 02:20 PM »
I do a lot of shallow water fishing and almost always use a Schooley rod, rigged with two jigs, as a dead stick if the action is slow.  I drilled a hole through the handle that fits a broken piece of an old rod. Now it can't get pulled under when I stray too far away. My favorite rod is still my St. Croix Legend (pricey, but got for free with Cabela's points). Another rod that is a great buy in my opinion is the Frabill Panfish Popper. At 12.95 it's hard to go wrong, and it comes with a spring bobber, as well.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:56 PM »
when it comes to rods it all about confidence...all my openwater spinnging rods and Shimano Crucials, all my casting rods are either St.Croix's or Crucials...(and a pair of Carrot Stix)...they feel right and when I dont have them something is off....

As for ice rods, I buy my rods based on what they do for me...sensative tips...long butts, good backbone, I dont look for an expensive rod, i look for one i know i can use daily and catch fish with...my first ice rod was Walmart special, way to heavy action and guides you could fit quarters into..brutal..i was out buying a new rod and reel after one trip..so some times the rod may seem expensive, when it lasts and is pulling in fish you will forget about the extra $10 not in your pocket

Paid $25 for a Jason Mitchell meatstick...landed about 40 crappies with it on its first trip out...thats down to .62 cents a fish after one trip...now thats a deal

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:09 AM »
My favorite ice rods are ones that I picked up on clearance a few years ago from Jammin' Jigs. They sold 4 for $20.00. I bought 4 of them. Still catching fish today.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:51 AM »
yes big pappa i bought 24 of them in 24 and 28 inch models. mad dog sold the same rods for around 20$ each  before jammin bought and sold them out. most people dont like them because of no rings or reel seat. man are they missing out. the best guides, blanks and handles for the money EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! best 100$ i ever spent and they are for sale.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I tried a St. Croix Legend 2 years ago and fell for it - I now own 6 of them and rarely go back to the other rods I own.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I had a guy make a custom rod for me from a St. Croix blank. Medium action for walleye. It cost $35 and is by far the best ice rod I own. Included in that $35 was an actual reel seat. It is wicked awesome!!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Most of my rods now are TB customs and good luck tearing them out of my cold dead hands in 100 years when I am frozen on a lake somewhere..

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:43 PM »
... Another rod that is a great buy in my opinion is the Frabill Panfish Popper. At 12.95 it's hard to go wrong, and it comes with a spring bobber, as well.
I second that about the Frabill. I have one and for a relatively cheap rod its got a strong backbone, but a really sensative tip-works great. I also really like HT rods, they're a quality rod for their price. One of my favorites in the "cheap" catagory is the shakespere "cajun red" rod. its kinds noodle-ish but perfect for perch, and the guides are really big so if you fish outide a shack ice build-up isnt a problem.

hope that helps
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Most of my rods now are TB customs and good luck tearing them out of my cold dead hands in 100 years when I am frozen on a lake somewhere..
I have several myself, & love them, but I did get 2 new Legends this year also, but have not used them as of now.  Will find out this weekend!  Both fitted with Tica's of course!  TB rods w/ Tica's as well!  Spend the money on things that will last you.  Unless you like to throw your gear around & buy new every year!

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:49 PM »
I don't think theres much difference

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Get a H.T. Enterprises ice blues rod!!! You wont even need that spring bobber!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=64287
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:58 PM »
1.) Thorne Bros.
2.) St. Croix Legend Elite
3.) Cabelas XML ice series
4.) HT Polar Gold

In that order... Everything else is junk  ;D
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I couldnt help but put my two cents worth in just to make most of you mad.  Up until a few years ago all I used for jigging was a cheapie rod that had the two dowels for wraping line on, when I cought a fish I would just handline them in.  Three years ago my wife convinced me to buy some with reals on them and I hate them, I can't get the slip bobber stop to stay in place if I real it in with a diecent fish on so after every fish I have to reset my depth. This year I just gave up on them and went back to my old rods.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Never been enthused about getting a high quality rod. If you fish with a spring bobber, you don't even need something expensive. With a decent rod and good line, you can notice subtle bites without a spring bobber. There is nothing that says a $40 rod will outfish a $10 one. Most of the time, it comes down to properly pairing your rod with the fish you are trying to catch. Sorry to say, but a lot of it is ego.
I would rather save money on the rod and buy a good reel. That is where you notice the difference.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:12 AM »

I would rather save money on the rod and buy a good reel. That is where you notice the difference.

Definetly!!  I have a couple schooley, and H.T. Rods, all around 10 bucks each.  With the money I saved, I invested in good reels for these rods. 

My favorite rod by far is the 18" schooley, paired with an Abu Garcia Cardinal spinning reel.  Quite the micro setup.

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:31 AM »
For those of you who use reals how do you keep your bober stop in place when you real in with a fish on?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:40 PM »
For those of you who use reals how do you keep your bober stop in place when you real in with a fish on?

I use the Lindy bobber stops. They are very thin material and slide through the eyes nicely. You have to get them as tight as possible to keep them from moving. Also it helps to angle the rod down to the hole to allow the bobber stop to go through the first eye.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:24 PM »
use high vis line like golden stren and then theres no need for a bobber. what does it matter the price of the rod? you still need to know how to fish and use the right presentation even with a tree branch!!!!!!!!! im done now tight line and pay attention ;D.

Offline joesmith09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:27 PM »
i got a 27 in frabill bro series quick tip and i dont even need a spring bobber. i can see fish smelling the bait.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:39 PM »
I'll stick w/ premium tackle;  no doubt it helps. Too many folks suffer w/ junky plastic reels & noodle rods; I've long since given away the early reels w/out anti-reverse & fiberglass whip-sticks  ;)

Cheap $ compared to what the bass tourney guys spend on their combos...  :laugh:

Oh joy!

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:44 PM »
 use the Lindy bobber stops. They are very thin material and slide through the eyes nicely. You have to get them as tight as possible to keep them from moving. Also it helps to angle the rod down to the hole to allow the bobber stop to go through the first eye

What size line do you you use? I use 2 lb test and I no matter what use for a stop (I have tried the ones that come pre packaged with the knot already tied) they slide on the first eye or the bail of the real. Also if you point the rod down to get the stop through the first eye dont you loose a lot of fish due to the slack?

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Great $12 rod  :) HT Polar Gold; nice reel seat & Gold Cermet guides

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:24 AM »
try h.t's ice blue rods in light action. the tip is super sensitive but still has the backbone for the bigger fish. we smelt w/ them in my hardside and dad put one to the test on a 24in. laker that grabbed his smelt lure over the weekend. we landed it after a 10min. fight! man can that pole bend! this things got such a sensitive tip it works just like a spring bobber. got all six of ours at fish usa for 6.95 ea. you can afford to break these rods at least.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:41 AM »
The old style Berkley Genz rods are good rods for the $$$. Another great rod is from Yad. I have a Yad 24" UL rod that I like better than my Thorne rod and it cost a fraction of what the Thorne rod cost.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:22 PM »
I use strike indicators on all my rods a wimpy rod in thirty feet of water will not set the hook so I have a ton of that junk haing on the wall.

Live to fish forced to work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.