Author Topic: Rods  (Read 8392 times)

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rods
« on: Nov 09, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Looking for some good rods this year. Any one have any good suggestions? I was looking at St. Croix Premier rods and they look good! Any one have any suggestions on some rods for gills, crappies and perch. I am not looking at custom rods yet. Maybe next year.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2007, 05:06 PM »
If you can find any Jig-A-Whopper combos, snatch them up, I kept dragging my feet last season on them, and they soon disappeared, and I recently found out they went out of business. Luckily, I went into a Sportsmans Warehouse in Sioux Falls, SD a couple weeks ago and they had a few left over from last season. They are beautiful combos.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2007, 05:16 PM »
For panfish I use the ICE Blue rods from HT. THe tip is really sensitive and the rods are inexpensive and have they worked really well for me.

Otherwise I run a gambit of rods for larger fish. I use St. Croix premiers pretty much throughout with abu cardinal reels, reed sports rod for perch, and so many others.

Yoiu will find that once you start, it is hard to not want more. I have way to many rods, ::) but I use them all for different things. Some brands work better than others for certain situations.

Good luck

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2007, 05:24 PM »
for gills, you cant go wring with a frabil panfish popper, but anything larger like perch or crappies I use St.Crix legends with the sprint bobber tip, they are expensive at $50, but well worth it.....the Genz stix ar not bad either, the reel is not  the best but the rods hold up well

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:37 PM »
i am partial to the st. croix w/ the woven graphite handle and no spring bobber. they don't make this modle any more. cost ~$30. add my own homemade spring bober, the tip tops aren't actually wrapped on there and tend to loosen up at some point so i just take it off and use srink tube and epoxy to put on the bobber.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2007, 12:36 AM »
Dude, just suck it up & buy a Thorne Bros. rod.  I wish I had done the same from the start & not wizzed away money on all the other garbage.  I have a bunch of rods & reels in the garage that are dust collectors on my rod rack out there.  Put a good Tica reel on, & it will last years.  Spend the extra money & put a hidden hood handle on it too.  They don't have it as an option on thier website for all rods, but call your order in, & they will put one on any rod.  I'm not fond of taping to a cork handle over time.

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2007, 12:19 PM »
I've been building some this year.  I got some IM7 fly rod tip sections (4.5 ft) from a local rod builder that wanted to get rid of them.  They've turned out pretty nice and since there is 4.5 ft to work with, I can varry the action from pretty light for perch to a laker rod.
Nick

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2007, 04:10 PM »
For panfish I use the ICE Blue rods from HT. THe tip is really sensitive and the rods are inexpensive and have they worked really well for me.

Offline masterangler70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2007, 08:45 PM »
contact bobberstop in the chatroom. he makes the best panfish rods around.

Offline Tautog Rich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2007, 08:26 AM »
Best I've found is Schooley & Sons Arctic Ice Blue ab-24's.

Offline minorintrusion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2007, 08:49 AM »
I'm with a bunch of these guys... the St Croix premium are nice rods. I have the 32"ML for Perch and a 32"H for the BIG fish. (I am full of hope this year ;D)

My workhorses for everything in between are two HT Artic Bay rods (solid carbon with rosewood handles...mmmm rosewood) with Abu Cardinal reels. There is a Berkley combo that puts an Abu Cardinal 100U reel on a not-so-bad Berkley rod for $42, the reel alone sells for $42, so you get a M rod as a back up!
\\\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.\\\"<br />-John Steinbeck

Offline Duckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2007, 07:52 PM »
I second Thorne Bros. rods.  I have one and hardly use the other half dozen or so. I'm thinking of selling everything and buying just one or two Thorne Bros.  Excellent quality and a fine fishing rod IMO.
God, it's good to be in the frozen tundra!

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I just got the Frabill  popper and wow  it has some flex  for those  lite bites , but I also use HT I like there rods the have never let me down . but you can never  have too maney rods .

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2007, 05:49 PM »
IMO the best rods for under $31 are the older Berkley Genz Lightning rods. (Old Ones that they stopped making) They cost $30 have a smaller handle and the blanks are very good. The Berkley Prolite uses the same blank and actions but the handles different. Those Frabill panfish popper rods are nice but that little spring bobber will freeze very quick.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:31 PM »
The panfish popper is one of the best rods for the money (12.95 at fish us) IMO. However, as mentioned above it will freeze up very easily if you're not in a shack. My St. Croix Legend is usually my go to rod when the bite heats up. The big loop is easy to keep clear on the spring bobber.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:29 PM »
I love my panfish popper as well. i just took the stupid spring bobber off of it becasue it was freezing ALOT. just popped it off and it kicks butt now. its got good action and its sensitive

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:51 PM »
i am partial to the st. croix w/ the woven graphite handle and no spring bobber. they don't make this modle any more. cost ~$30. add my own homemade spring bober, the tip tops aren't actually wrapped on there and tend to loosen up at some point so i just take it off and use srink tube and epoxy to put on the bobber.

I loved those rods.  Got a Frabill Ultra last season with the woven graphite handle, vibration discs and big guides, but it was kinda high at thirty-five bucks from Dicks.  It was a 32" medium, perfect for trout.  Found a bunch of the lighter ones a week ago at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Colorado for $20.  Best deal in the country for that quality and sensitivity IMO.  Can't wait to get the perch on the light action on Saturday at Blue Mesa.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:05 PM »
I am a thornebros user. I would recommend being cautious buying a new st.croix. They are having major guide allignment problems. When I took the time to look at them and talk to some people about them, it seems the blanks twist. This causes the guides to get all twisted and goofy. Besure to take the time to check them out thoroughly before you buy one.....If you have to, just lightly grab one of the guides and kinda twist it lightly and see if it will twist the whole blank. Each rod I checked one day did this and I was not impressed much.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:34 AM »
i just purchased 2 shakespeare combos at bps and for the price and sensitivity, you cant go wrong. 9.99 with a little reel included. its come with 4 lb sigma line on it and i figured kinky and stiff. no way, it was usable right  off the shelf. no its not a croix or a genz but ive owned LOTS of ice rods and i was impressed. i like getting what i pay for and with these you cant go wrong imo.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2007, 03:08 PM »
IMO the best rods for under $31 are the older Berkley Genz Lightning rods. (Old Ones that they stopped making) They cost $30 have a smaller handle and the blanks are very good. The Berkley Prolite uses the same blank and actions but the handles different. Those Frabill panfish popper rods are nice but that little spring bobber will freeze very quick.

Second on the Berkley Lightning rods...have caught everything from perch to carp to a 35" muskie (not intentionally) with my Ultralight model without any creaking or cracking.  Even the UL model is a little stiff though, and a spring bobber helps a lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.