Author Topic: Pole and line advice  (Read 3300 times)

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Pole and line advice
« on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:16 PM »
hey guys after reading all the hype about jigging I have finally desided to bite the bullet and try it out. What strength line should I be considering with a jig pole? A 10# would be the max I would hook up to. I am just woundering how well these short pole work.
Anthony

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Pole and line advice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2003, 06:35 PM »
wow were are all the jiggers? I was thinking or running a 12# test of fire wire and a 36" pole.Am I going to have a lot of trouble with a 5-15lbs Touge with that set up?
Anthony

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:46 PM »
black-phoenix - What's a tougue? Give us a hint or 2 what you're fishing for and I'm sure the guys on here will help you out. Personally I think jigging is the only way to go. I've never used a tip up in my life.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2003, 04:31 PM »
sorry up here in Maine a Touge is a Lake Trout.

What I ended up buying was a 28" medium action pole with 20# fire wire (raited at a 8# diamiter) I bought a few pimples one with a day glow orange stripe on one side. I wanted to find buy an airplane jig but they were out. So does this soud good or am I too big on the line and to stiff on the pole? I will mainly target Touge and Browns with this set up. It is also possable I will try a few brookies and Rainbows too.
Anthony

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:04 PM »
 When I first started jigging for lake trout, it was on Lake Charlovoix , Mi. I was using a 24" med action/6# Trielene. Also had the 28" med action for the days we chugged Swedish pimple`s, it was spooled with Berkley Firline 10# test - 4# diameter.Put 2-3 feet  of phlorocarbon as a leader on both poles. We too were getting into the double didgit Laker`s, and both rigs worked well in there respected uses. The smaller rig was used when we finnessed them with salmon eggs on or near the bottom. And in that lake , fishing on or near bottom ment you may tangle with a bourbot,or whitefish...

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:24 PM »
Thanks for the info. Hopefully my 20# isn't too thick. Only one way to tell I guess.
Anthony

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:13 AM »
 BP , if that is fireline 20# test- 8# diameter, try running a 3 foot leader of (Seaguar flourocarbon 8#). And if you are using bait other than pimples,maybe have some in 6# .  You will get more strikes on the 6# Seagaur flourocarbon. Just my .02. That set-up has landed many a big trout here for me . Good luck!  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.