Author Topic: How many waxies to tip with?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How many waxies to tip with?
« on: Mar 03, 2007, 11:35 PM »
I don't know if I was right or wrong, but I have caught a TON of fish in the summer off a dock using just 1 waxworm on a jig or even a bare hook. But I watch these TV shows and guys like Genz tip their hooks with like 10 (or more) waxies at once. How many do you guys typically use?

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How many waxies to tip with?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2007, 11:53 PM »
I only use spikes, and just one at a time, use them until they fall off, somethings they are just barely hanging on the hook.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2007, 11:30 AM »
I change it up.  It depends on the fish activity.  Spikes, I start with 2-3, but sometimes end up w/ 1 or a couple on there, same colors, or mix them up.  Waxies I use 1-2, & change them often or after each fish.  Sometimes, I'll use 3-4 waxies for perch if I'm using a jigging spoon w/ a treble.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2007, 11:34 AM »
i use 1 at a time sometimes if the fish nip the tail end of the waxie off i will put one therefore making it 1 and a half  not sure if im right but i seem to do ok

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:04 PM »
On a 1/16 oz. jig I use 2 and thread them on.  On a 1/32 oz. jig I use one.  My rule is that every time I pull the jig out I put another one on especially after catching a fish.  Thread them on poking the hook out 2-3 times to get the juices flowing.  Never take a gushy one off the hook because the waxies are there to give out flavor and mushy ones do that the best.  Sometimes you end up with a wad on the hook that only a CSI agent could identify and that is when you catch the most fish.  Guaranteed (maybe)
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I don't know if I was right or wrong, but I have caught a TON of fish in the summer off a dock using just 1 waxworm on a jig or even a bare hook. But I watch these TV shows and guys like Genz tip their hooks with like 10 (or more) waxies at once. How many do you guys typically use?
When using wax worms I usually use one, can get pretty good action. I also try to keep them some what fresh for more scent.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2007, 10:09 AM »
One,like to tbone them but hook it twice,hooked once tboned seem to not have as many hook ups and a lot of bait robbers.When using spoons,like frosty's and forage minnows use one ,hook to two of the trebles.Other than that into Ratso's fished clean. Don't like spikes that much been using waxy's for over 30 years,the best bull bait going.

chimo

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2007, 03:04 PM »
usally like 2 waxworms on my jig.  I think it slows the jig down on the drop a little and I catch quite a few on the drop.  I also like the larger profile when the fish are biting good. 

chimo

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:59 PM »
One of Genz's pro members loves to use a big clump of waxies. Just another technique I guess. I usually use just one or 2 for crappies. Sometimes more for perch if I feel it is working better.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2007, 10:59 PM »
Actually Genz himself was one of the reasons I was asking- that guy tips with at least 10. Starting to wonder if I was screwing it up.......

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:53 AM »
Well I dont see why you would have to use that many....I know lots of people do great with one or two. Give it a try next time you are out and see how it works....Genz may be on to something and I am missing out haha.

Offline frenchguyfry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:46 PM »
If the fish are very aggresive it doesnt really matter but i usually use a lot like 4or5 waxies with a bigger jig so you can pick off the bigger fish but if they are real finicky use the smallest amount possible like 1 spike or 1 waxie usually works best with a very small lure.... Always downsize for finicky fish and you'll catch a lot more fish!

Good luck!
Ryan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.