Author Topic: Cordless drill sputtering  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Cordless drill sputtering
« on: Oct 13, 2018, 07:22 PM »
Chuck is engaging/disengaging intermittently. Sometimes it works fine other times it makes a ratcheting sound when I turn the collar in either direction without the jaws moving. Bought from Home Depot on line (Bosch...sent email to them ). It's under warranty...only 6 months  old...so trying to find out if I have to send it in or take to authorized service center / Home Depot. Any ideas out there?...update...So when I hold the collar and squeeze the trigger until jaws are "just" snug, I can turn the collar back to release the jaws...no problems. But if I snug it back down again, then turn it by hand until it locks ( 1 click ) then it will not turn back(release) without making a resounding ratchet sound. So now I'm thinking the lock may be toast 'cause when I am able to to lock a drill bit into place the chuck holds it fine..it's when I try to release ( unlock) is when I have the issues. Am I the only one who is confused with this babble I just laid out there or are you as well? Just really frustrated right now.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cordless drill sputtering
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2018, 08:17 PM »
If it's under warranty it shouldn't be hard to get it replaced.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2018, 08:33 PM »

Yeah...just trying to find out how to go about it. Nothing on the warranty card when I sent it in on what to do.

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I always call customer service and pray I get to talk to someone with a pulse to help me. Usually you get a lot more done than sending a lot of texts or e-mails. Bosch is a big name so they have a reputation to uphold.  I'm quite sure they will treat you good. ;)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2018, 08:42 PM »
I always call customer service and pray I get to talk to someone with a pulse to help me. Usually you get a lot more done than sending a lot of texts or e-mails. Bosch is a big name so they have a reputation to uphold.  I'm quite sure they will treat you good. ;)

Thanks Hoserman...I'd planned on calling them Monday.

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Finding a Bosch service center can be a challenge.   You're drill should be easy enough to ship though.   My miter saw that is out of square is not.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Finding a Bosch service center can be a challenge.   You're drill should be easy enough to ship though.   My miter saw that is out of square is not.

I've located a few around here...I think. At least when I did a web search.  Haven't called any yet.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Could it be in "driver mode" instead of "drill mode"  or maybe slightly shifted out of drill mode?  (Sometimes drills look like they're in "drill mode" but it's turned just enough to disengage it.)  If you haven't done it, try shifting back and forth to/from drill mode a couple times and then into drill mode to see if that helps.  Maybe try shifting the forward/reverse switch back and forth too in case it's caught in between the two directions. Good luck.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Could it be in "driver mode" instead of "drill mode"  or maybe slightly shifted out of drill mode?  (Sometimes drills look like they're in "drill mode" but it's turned just enough to disengage it.)  If you haven't done it, try shifting back and forth to/from drill mode a couple times and then into drill mode to see if that helps.  Maybe try shifting the forward/reverse switch back and forth too in case it's caught in between the two directions. Good luck.

Nope...that wasn't it.  But thanks anyway.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2018, 12:50 PM »
sounds like a bad chuck. hopefully they have an upgraded version for service on it.
have you tried it with out any thing at all in it to see if it makes any difference?

when i took my tools in for inspection they had them for a few weeks. the better the shop the longer the wait it seems.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2018, 02:57 PM »
sounds like a bad chuck. hopefully they have an upgraded version for service on it.
have you tried it with out any thing at all in it to see if it makes any difference?

when i took my tools in for inspection they had them for a few weeks. the better the shop the longer the wait it seems.

Ok, I'll try and simplify. The drill works fine when operating. When I use the power of the drill ( use the trigger and hold the clutch with other hand) the jaws/clutch work fine and there is no ratcheting effect. If I  give the clutch  a slight turn by hand to to put into the so called "lock position", then try to loosen chuck by hand to remove bit, then I get the ratcheting effect. So, if I use the power of the drill to tighten and loosen clutch, I'm good to go...tightening/ loosening by hand...no good. I did find out in the manual that there is no "click to lock" with this drill...just supposed to tighten by hand until secured. And I can wait awhile for a fix...no ice yet.  ;)

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:31 AM »

I don't know if this pertains but last year the trigger assembly broke off my 18volt fuel drill and I was instructed to take it to the tool rental dept of my local home depot which I did and they fixed it for me at no charge.  they also send them out for customers if they cant fix them.  They fixed it well for no charge but it took a long time (4 weeks or so).  this is in Michigan. 

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:21 AM »
I don't know if this pertains but last year the trigger assembly broke off my 18volt fuel drill and I was instructed to take it to the tool rental dept of my local home depot which I did and they fixed it for me at no charge.  they also send them out for customers if they cant fix them.  They fixed it well for no charge but it took a long time (4 weeks or so).  this is in Michigan.
I totally forgot about that. I had heard that a long time ago, but spaced it right out. :-\

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2018, 10:53 AM »
i was told they want 35$ deposit and if they ship it out and the problem is not a warranty issue they keep the 35$.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2018, 11:53 AM »
i was told they want 35$ deposit and if they ship it out and the problem is not a warranty issue they keep the 35$.

Might be I cant remember the details but that sounds familiar,  they did well by me anyways. except for the wait. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Update...just received news from Bosch that they will be sending me a replacement drill. Once received I only need to return the defective one...postage paid.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Update...just received news from Bosch that they will be sending me a replacement drill. Once received I only need to return the defective one...postage paid.
You can't ask for better than that!!  :thumbsup: :clap:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Nice to hear that Bosch is standing behind their product!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Further update...just got off the phone with Bosch and my new drill will be here in 5-7 business days. Customer service rep. was pleasant and apologetic with no questions asked except what exactly was wrong with it. The whole process took less that 5 minutes. Very pleased with the whole experience.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Final update...new drill arrived yesterday as promised ( 3-5 business days...made it in 4) . Big props to Bosch for standing behind their product and service.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:20 PM »
awesome!
hope the chuck was a fluke.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2018, 02:22 PM »
awesome!
hope the chuck was a fluke.

Operator error I'm sure...well...I hope ;)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Operator error I'm sure...well...I hope ;)
How does this one work?? I'm sure you checked that the very first thing!!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:45 PM »
How does this one work?? I'm sure you checked that the very first thing!!!!

No problems so far. Drilled a couple of holes in some plastic so not a real good test yet. The other one was good too until I decided to mess with the chuck ( overtighten)...there is no "lock" feature on this drill.🙄

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.