The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Advice for Fishing and Getting to Fort Peck  (Read 1092 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Advice for Fishing and Getting to Fort Peck
« on: Oct 08, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Hi Everyone,

just looking for some local knowledge. I'm from NH, but would like to make a Trip to Fort Peck this winter. I'd primarily be looking for Lake Trout and Walleye. I'm thinking my best bet is to Fly into Glasgow, but it seems as though I have two options once I get there.

1. Hire a guide for the 2-3 Days we'd be fishing as they could provide us with travel on the ice and gear. (the only thing is it would cost a pretty penny)

2. I could bring all my gear.... but still wouldn't have essentials like a sled and auger.

So I guess what i'm asking here is if I choose to not go fully guided for the 2-3 days, is there a way I can rent gear or stay in an ice bungalow or hut or something like that? Any knowledge you pass along would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Tight Lines!

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Advice for Fishing and Getting to Fort Peck
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2018, 02:03 PM »
I would talk to Mike Howe with Howes fishing.[ aable charters].
He guides out of the town of Fortpeck, He will treat you right.
Or you could fly to Billings and fish out of Hell Creek marina north of Jordan.
Talk to Clint or Lane, the will treat you right as well. 406-557-2345
Fortpeck1

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Any Recommendation on Guide's? Mike got back to me right away and recommended I get in contact with Eddie Mindt at Lakeridge Lodging and Baitshop so I'm going to give him a shot as well as Forrest Fawthrop from Walleye Hunter Outfitters. I'm going to price it all out and see the damage. Any of you have any feedback on these two?

thanks!
Tight Lines!

Mizayikaa

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Don't know Forrest so can't say anything good or bad but I have dealt with Eddie before and have been nothing but satisfied.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Peck is huge water and you absolutely must have transportation in order to fish it effectively. Your only real option at having a shot at success on a cross country trip like this would be to hire a guide. Theres lots of walleye and lakers between Montana and NH, why is your heart set on Peck?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:53 AM »
we're looking to hire a guide. We're between Fort Peck and Lake Superior right now. Fort Peck seems like a great multi fishery where the number of quality fish seems to be pretty high. It's also located within a decent distance of the airport.
Tight Lines!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Fort Peck is more than a fishing destination.  The place is magical.  More shoreline than the whole west coast. Wild country and more places to fish in  a lifetime, plus you never know what is coming up the hole.  Lakers, walleyes, sauger, saugeyes, pike, perch, burbot, salmon, bass, crappie, rainbows, browns...missed a few I am sure. Jigging, tip ups, spearing, soaking a minnow all great.

You then need to decide which part. The dam (Duck Creek to the Pines), Dry Arm, Hell Creek (my favorite) Crooked Creek all are wonderful but only the dam has reliable roads in winter.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Looks like i'm going to have to put my dream trip on hold. Tore my ACL and need surgery, going to still ice fish this year, but no big trips this season
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.