The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Wholesale Shiners  (Read 4206 times)

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wholesale Shiners
« on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Hey ya'll,

I am looking to get about 500 shiners for this ice fishing season to keep in my basement tank.  Last year I got them through a gentleman in Bath, but I cant find his contact info.  Anyone else have any recommendations for whole sale shiners or maybe know this gentleman so I can contact him again this year?

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wholesale Shiners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:31 AM »
dags

Offline NIP MAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Try Harmon Brook Farms in Cannan (207)474-1215. Used John twice for large amounts of shiners and they lasted forever. Owner is John Whalen, E-mail is [email protected] The hours are a bit weird but give him a call. Also there is a website you can check out as well.

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Yeah he's the guy in the trench coat full of baitfish and lures probably just down the street from the tackle shop he just ripped off.
Tight lines

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:20 PM »
Yeah he's the guy in the trench coat full of baitfish and lures probably just down the street from the tackle shop he just ripped off.

Really? lol
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:40 PM »
That isn't even a realistic price for wholesale shiners, even what a bait shop pays is a lot more. Please don't recommend our shop for those prices, because we would be giving money/bait away, even though it is the holiday season of giving. I actually set some traps last night for fun and caught some today. Always exciting when you pull the traps and see "silvery". Enough to get the tanks ammonia levels up, for when we add the bacteria which eats the ammonia and colonizes in the filters. The bacteria does its job all season and no changing of water, yet the fish remain lively and healthy.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:24 PM »
who are you talking about?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I took the money part out for you wayne, but it is what i paid so I must have gotten a good deal.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:17 AM »
That isn't even a realistic price for wholesale shiners, even what a bait shop pays is a lot more. Please don't recommend our shop for those prices, because we would be giving money/bait away, even though it is the holiday season of giving. I actually set some traps last night for fun and caught some today. Always exciting when you pull the traps and see "silvery". Enough to get the tanks ammonia levels up, for when we add the bacteria which eats the ammonia and colonizes in the filters. The bacteria does its job all season and no changing of water, yet the fish remain lively and healthy.

I appreciate you’re knowledge of the nitrogen cycle! I’ve had great luck using Seachem Stability (bacteria additive) and Seachem Prime (ammonia neutralizer) when keeping bait fish. I own aquariums and Seachem makes good stuff, imo. Along with water changes every few days (out of habit) my minnows stay alive indefinitely. I also keep them in a refrigerator.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:24 AM »
A note about ammonia neutralizers though, they temporarily binds ammonia so it’s not toxic, but usually for only a day or two. So if you have an ammonia spike, you can use products to save your fish but you still need to do a heater change before it is released again. While it’s “neutralized” the nitrifying bacteria can’t break it down as easily. For small amounts it’s fine as your bacteria (if the tank is cycled) can handle it as it’s released slowly.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:27 PM »
I took the money part out for you wayne, but it is what i paid so I must have gotten a good deal.

you did. I would buy as much as I could get for those prices. If you find him/her and he/she has more, please send them our way. We have money with their name on it. Nice job on your find.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:34 PM »
If i can find him again i will certainly pass it along.  As it stands now, havent been able to. Might have been a rookie and for all I know could have been selling them illegally idk, but they lasted pretty good.  If i cant find him then obviously Ill be paying more this season which is fine, im all about the fishing anyway, might try and catch my own but I never have too much luck with that so idk, we will see how it goes.  If I cant get any then im sure you will find me in the shop.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:20 PM »
If i can find him again i will certainly pass it along.  As it stands now, havent been able to. Might have been a rookie and for all I know could have been selling them illegally idk, but they lasted pretty good.  If i cant find him then obviously Ill be paying more this season which is fine, im all about the fishing anyway, might try and catch my own but I never have too much luck with that so idk, we will see how it goes.  If I cant get any then im sure you will find me in the shop.

His screen name dgilliam?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I saw him on facebook Nbourque, that might be him, I messaged him a day ago havent heard anything yet.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I saw him on facebook Nbourque, that might be him, I messaged him a day ago havent heard anything yet.
I tried getting bait from him years back but he could never follow thru with what he said he had. I was willing to buy 500 shiners at the time.

Offline Ruddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:09 PM »
There is a wholesaler in Glenburn  PM me for more info

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:38 PM »
There is a wholesaler in Glenburn  PM me for more info
I might be able to help you out Rich... depending the size your looking for
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Ruddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:19 AM »
OK  we will talk

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I am the wholesaler in Glenburn.  PM me with what you need

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:17 AM »
A note about ammonia neutralizers though, they temporarily binds ammonia so it’s not toxic, but usually for only a day or two. So if you have an ammonia spike, you can use products to save your fish but you still need to do a heater change before it is released again. While it’s “neutralized” the nitrifying bacteria can’t break it down as easily. For small amounts it’s fine as your bacteria (if the tank is cycled) can handle it as it’s released slowly.

The stability of NH4 will very tremendously with water temp and chemistry. You can't simply say that NH4 has a half life of a day or two. If you have cold water and low hydroxides in your water it will take a very long time for NH4 to turn into ammonia. And even so if you have more of the ammonia locking salts in your system they will continue to bind with the ammonia, converting it back into that less stable NH4.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2017, 02:48 PM »
The stability of NH4 will very tremendously with water temp and chemistry. You can't simply say that NH4 has a half life of a day or two. If you have cold water and low hydroxides in your water it will take a very long time for NH4 to turn into ammonia. And even so if you have more of the ammonia locking salts in your system they will continue to bind with the ammonia, converting it back into that less stable NH4.

-Dylan

True, I didn’t take into account of water temp and pH. Just from my experience with ammonia neutralizers in tropical fish tanks (I’ve kept tanks for over 20 years and work at a pet store), people just read the bottle of amquel or ammo lock and believe if they add that to their tanks their ammonia problem will be solved. The ammonia absorbing minerals like zeolite actually pulls it out of the water until it is saturated, so that’s what I’ve been recommending to people when they come to my store and say they need help But they haven’t established a biological cycle yet. Am I wrong since it will take a while for the nitrifying bacteria to grow in the cold environment.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I'm going to make an educated assumption that the nitrifying bacteria will indeed take longer to metabolize ammonia and nitrite in subtropical temperatures, and further make an assumption that tropical temperatures would be an optimal temp for those bacteria as most bacteria thrive at those temps.

The longer life cycle of the bacteria shouldn't be a problem though, because the baits metabolism will be directly proportional to that metric. Thus slower bacteria growth, slower fishes production of ammonia. It should be somewhat of a wash.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.