Author Topic: Collingwood 17/18  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
Collingwood 17/18
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Went to Collingwood for the first time this ice season, when I got out there I was little scared because there wasn't a single person anywhere in the area, I used by binoculars to scout the other side of the lake and could see a half ton a little ways out fishing, there is a big ice heave right at the drive on point to access the main lake, someone is going to have to be brave at some point and make a pathway over it, anyways back to fishing, I walked out until and drilled holes and stopped by the time I got to 22 feet, which was about a good 3 football fields from shore, the ice was really cracking and singing and I just didn't have the balls to go put any further and I was by myself. Started fishing at around 130 and by around 430 I had iced 6 perch, the sun was starting to go down and I got a couple walleye up the hole but got off. The ice is actually quite thick around collingwood anywhere from 12 to 14 inches. Right when I was packing up a guy on a ski doo pulled up and asked how I made out, he figures that with 12 or so inches of ice that he is ready to start driving onto the lake. I told him I'm not quite ready to do that until I see some other traffic heading out there. Anyways a great start to the season as I was happy with today's results and am looking forward to getting back out there. I will admit ever since I bought my marcum lx7 last year I am completely addicted to ice fishing, can't take my eyes off the screen haha. Good luck and stay safe out there and enjoy our great fishing season.

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Collingwood 17/18
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:12 PM »
my neighbour who has a place at Maple Grove near Collingwood said a truck went through there with 3" of ice...can anyone confirm or admit it :).

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:55 PM »
I never saw anything, how ever there are 2 separate heaves, 1 running north and south and 1 running east and west directly in front of Collingwood estates,

Offline walleyemaverick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:28 PM »
I was fishing at maple grove on saturday and i hope nobody is driving on yet but i didnt see any trucks trough the ice. straight out from maple grove does have a constant 10 to 11 inches of ice out to 30fow

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2017, 12:57 PM »
I was wondering since there is a ice heave right at the drive on point at Collingwood estates if at some point we will be able to drive across it? It is right on the shoreline of the island to the right so it's not like your vehicle would go down but it could cause problems, overall I'm not real sure.

Offline walleyemaverick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Someone will eventually be brave enough to drie over and blaze the trail. For their sake i hope its not for a couple weeks since the nice weather seems to be sticking around. Ill be extra careful for the next few weeks after seein a picture of a camper shack that went through the ice a buffalo pound today, ice was reportedly 14"

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:43 PM »
I heard about this camper, I don't have Facebook and haven't seen the picture, seems crazy for reports of 14 inch ice

Offline Jaycan101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Hey I know that there is 11” to 14” of ice at collingwood but how the fish been biting was at maple grove yesterday not much there just wondering thanks !!!

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Hey jaycan, I was fishing at Collingwood last Saturday and was catching lots of good perch and a few walleye at dusk, haven't been out there since tho

Offline Jaycan101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Thanks gonna try Sunday

Offline Trewlyfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:15 AM »
I’m looking to go fishing at collingwood Sunday. Any news on the ice conditions and the heave?

Offline rochee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Anyone headed to Collingwood over the weekend? Looking for conditions?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Just got back from Collingwood ice is good but you have to zig zag around the two heaves in front of the launch. Had another good  perch day this time I was by myself. The magic lure was a small Swedish pimple (silver/yellow)with an eye and mealworm. Ended up with 18 perch and 3 Walleye. The eyes were moving in as I left.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:57 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline rochee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Nice catch Anglerbrian, we were out at Collingwood today and managed to get a 28" walleye, released and 3 keeper walleye. 1 x 5 lb pike, but no perch.
Fished anywhere from 24'-36'. Caught the big one in 28'.
What depth are you catch perch in?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I have been catching them at 25 feet but the schools are spread out through the basin and may be deeper or shallower as they hunt for food. I noticed at least three of them spit out crayfish instead of the usual minnows.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:52 PM »
fished sarnia and collingwood today, 9am-6pm drilled at least 100 holes, tried so many different spots and areas. marked 1 fish all day and caught it. a 11 inch perch
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Fished collingwood for my first time all over in front of the boat launch... 18-30’ caught a tuilibe and about a dozen lil tiny tiny perch. Lost one or two good hits about half ways upwhatever they where. All day from 8-5:30 I marked fish most seemed small and not interested....

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:51 PM »
I fished Collingwood yesterday with three other people. Was back at the same spot that I have been fishing and things have slowed down a lot. Mostly small perch and Tullibee there now. Between the 4 of us we landed 10 perch some too small to keep and 2 pike plus 5 Walleye.
 I am giving it a rest until this cold snap is over then going to check some of my other locations on Last Mountain or maybe even another lake North of Lanigan
 Good luck to anyone venturing out in this cold.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I was out there last Saturday and between 4 of us we caught 1 small pike and 1 tulibee, also hearing from others as well it slowed down quite a bit

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Was out at Collingwood this morning from about 830 to noon and barely marked any fish, completely dead at Collingwood right now

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Fished Collingwoods Saturday as well, fished straight out from boat launch for 5 hrs and marked maybe a fish per hour and not a single bite. Extremely slow and by the look of how all the shacks are so scattered apart people are obviously moving around trying to find something. No small towns anymore up there.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Yeah its been dead there for the past 2 weekends now, hopefully it picks up again in February

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:59 AM »
last friday i was at collingwood and caught a 4 lbs walleye in about an hour of fishing, a guy came by on quad and said he caught a 14.9 lbs walleye there earlier that day, and that multiple 10+ had been caught in the past week in the area.
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:21 PM »
last friday i was at collingwood and caught a 4 lbs walleye in about an hour of fishing, a guy came by on quad and said he caught a 14.9 lbs walleye there earlier that day, and that multiple 10+ had been caught in the past week in the area.
Must be nice

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:39 PM »

It's funny how many ppl add pounds to the walleye they catch to make it a 10#er. I've seen my fair share of "10#" walleye. Believe me haha! It only gets worse once it's actually a 10. Magically it becomes an 14.9 because it sounds believable compared to saying 15 lol.

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:57 AM »
I believe it guys, that lake can produce at any time. We all know the monsters that lurk in her depths and 10+ walleyes are not rare by any stretch of the imagination. I've been with people who have landed 14 plus walleyes and it's almost as exciting to see them do it as it would be for yourself. My personal best was by sarnia and she was a 13.2 and 32" long.
Lol, but your correct sometimes us Fisherman like to stretch the tape a weeee bit, LOL!!! Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Huber87 do you mind me asking were you and this fella were? Was it North of Collingwoods by chance?  I'm just wondering because that to me seems to be where you hear about the bigger walleyes being caught over the years up there.
Just curious is all, thanks.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Huber87 do you mind me asking were you and this fella were? Was it North of Collingwoods by chance?  I'm just wondering because that to me seems to be where you hear about the bigger walleyes being caught over the years up there.
Just curious is all, thanks.

Whenever I fish at collingwood I go north and usually fish anywhere from 25 to 40 feet, the past 2 weekends have been dead for me, and haven't seen any big fish at all this year

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Basically anything north of the boat launch in 20 to 40 feet of water, been out there 6 times this season and haven't seen anything big, some people just getlucky and catch the big fish, way she goes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.