Author Topic: Ht blue ice rod help  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ht blue ice rod help
« on: Nov 02, 2016, 10:20 AM »
I hear these are great for the money. I currently pretty much only use a Marmish palm rod. (For some reason I can't put it down) but  I would like to have a few of these for back ups or guests.   

It would be for panfish only.

I don't know what size or what type  (med, light , ultra light )
Also do people run a spring bobber on these?   I think I would rather have one. 

Thanks.

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ht blue ice rod help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2016, 11:49 AM »
Hey there Caseman!  I use the HT Blue Ice rods or Schooleys a lot.  With the ultra lights, the tips are so sensitive you wont need a bobber as even the lightest tap will move the rod tip.  The last one's I bought ran about $12 a piece, so they're pretty easy on the pocket book as well.  Good luck and tight lines!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:38 PM »
I like light rods in 26 or 28 inch lengths for pan fish.  You definitely can use Ultra-light rods, lots of guys do, or even a medium rod but the medium rod is more than you'll need.  I've caught pan fish on a medium rod when I was fishing for bass and trout before so yeah it will work but you don't need it.  If you're going to use light or heavier rods I'd use a good spring bobber.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:22 PM »
i use the 36inch ultra light when i m not in the shanty.  it is super sensitive and has a great backbone.  i also have the 24inch for inside the shack.  i caught an 8 and a 6 pound channel cat on the 36 inch a few years ago and that gave the rod a good work out.
i have a few friends who have the expensive rods and i can't really tell a lick of difference in them side by side.  plus if and when they get broke which is a part of fishing it won't break the bank to replace them. 

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Thanks everyone this helps a lot.   I will have to start looking around now.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Glad we can help you out.  If you're going to use spring bobbers make get good ones and put them on at home as they can be a pain to put on in the cold.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2016, 10:20 PM »
i use the 36inch ultra light when i m not in the shanty.  it is super sensitive and has a great backbone.  i also have the 24inch for inside the shack.  i caught an 8 and a 6 pound channel cat on the 36 inch a few years ago and that gave the rod a good work out.
i have a few friends who have the expensive rods and i can't really tell a lick of difference in them side by side.  plus if and when they get broke which is a part of fishing it won't break the bank to replace them.

These rods are sensitive as they're noodle style rods on a glass blank, but they don't have really any backbone, you can pull them in nearly a complete circle. With that said, they are a great option for an affordable panfish rod. It's one of those rods nearly everyone has owned at some point or another. Rods have come a long way though in terms of sensitivity to durability and backbone in a single rod. There's some great off the shelf options in the $30-$40 range nowadays and then you move into some of the elite custom rod builders from there. Now if all you are looking for is a lower dollar, well performing rod, an ice blues will do just fine.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2016, 02:08 PM »
My go to perch rod is the HT Blue Ice UL.  I have caught walleye's on it as well.  Thing bends right down to the handle.  Great rod and very affordable.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2016, 02:36 PM »
HT Ice Blues 24" UL is the perfect rod for tightlining. I must own over 15 of them. I cut all the orange tips off and replace with size 3.5 fly rod tip top. I fish with Hi Vis Gold Stren and Schooley reel. The following video clip features tightliner Dave Young (11:10 min mark), who makes specific mention to the HT Ice Blues pole at the 14:00 min mark.

https://vimeo.com/79953910

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2016, 02:43 PM »
These rods are sensitive as they're noodle style rods on a glass blank, but they don't have really any backbone, you can pull them in nearly a complete circle. With that said, they are a great option for an affordable panfish rod. It's one of those rods nearly everyone has owned at some point or another. Rods have come a long way though in terms of sensitivity to durability and backbone in a single rod. There's some great off the shelf options in the $30-$40 range nowadays and then you move into some of the elite custom rod builders from there. Now if all you are looking for is a lower dollar, well performing rod, an ice blues will do just fine.

I sure I had a shorter length HT blue some time back .

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/ice-rods-reels-combos/ht-enterprises-24-ice-blue-super-flex-ice-fishing-rod
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Used to be able to find these rods everywhere, none at Cabelas or gander mt. today.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:09 PM »
I really like the 48". Just posted a lengthy rundown on HT ice blues on the "General ice fishing chit chat" forum. Under "best jigging stick".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.