Author Topic: Best walleye rod for under $50 ??  (Read 13209 times)

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best walleye rod for under $50 ??
« on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:30 PM »
What is the best walleye rod for under $50. Can catch 1lb-8lb walleye on regular basis and will be fishing almost always in 16-20 feet of water. Opinions?

Also, what's everyone's opinion on using a light braid like a light fire line and the a 4-5 foot flouro leader? I ask because it seems like last year I lost a few at the hole and by using fire line it would reduce stretch and possibly bury the hook better

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best walleye rod for under $50 ??
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I really think the jason mitchell meat sticks are amazing.

From reading about braid on these forums I wouldn't use it, sounds like it ices up way to easy.  I was considering looking at using braid with a floro leader until I did a lot of reading on it and I don't think it's worth it.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:38 PM »
What would you recommend for a line if jigging walleye in 16-22 feet of water?

I will check those rods out now!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2013, 12:03 AM »
I will use fire line as main line with a leader but I normally fish in my shelter so ice up isn't a big problem.  My norm however is 4lb stren gold.  If over 20 fow I'll put a tiny ball bearing swivel and leader of a floro like Asso heavy 4lb.  I also like 6lb stren if using heavier lures and large toothy critters are present.
]

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:20 AM »
The Jason Mitchell rods are pretty good.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Do you guys run those rods in medium or medium light? What's the preferred length

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Do you guys run those rods in medium or medium light? What's the preferred length

I rarely run any ice rod longer that 24 and most of mine never go beyond light/medium light for walleye although I do have one medium rod that is pretty stiff and I have that specifically rigged up for larger fish.  I believe that it is a south bend brand pole and reel and I think it is upwards of 28 inches or somewhere around there.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2013, 04:28 PM »
28" meat stick is my favorite rod for the money and I use nano line 4-6 for walleye 3# for pannies been using both for years and no complaints
Never to many short poles

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:39 PM »
You guys are saying I should get a light of mediu light meat stick, correct?

How would the light pole work for 6lb walleye? Or bigger

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:42 PM »

I like the 28" med wicked by 13 and

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:32 PM »
The meatstick has a light tip but has plenty of backbone in middle the biggest fish I have landed on the 28" rod was a 43" cat fish last year no problems with a fish of that size and used only 3# nano

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:55 PM »
 I would say Medium to medium light for starters. I've been using The Jason Mitchell 28" walleye rods and they are a very decent rod. I also have a 13 fishing 26" medium whiteout rod that is pretty good, but it has the older handle that is partially made of aluminum and that can get cold on the hands if you are fishing outside. I have looked at the Fenwicks and those seem like a decent rod for the price as well. If you are going to be using it as a jigging rod I might shy away fom a JM meatstick as they are geared more towards  the panfish/deadstick walleye crowd. For finessing walleye with samller baits I'm sure they would be fine though if that is what your looking to do with it. I don't think you can really go wrong on any of the different brands out there as they are all pretty decent if you know what your looking for in production rod. I think the best advice to give and it has been said before is to pick up a few different rods in your local tackle shop and see what particular rod suits your needs the best. No two rods out there brandwise are the same as far as the handle and the rod action go. One rod that feels right in your hand might not suit they next person. I guess I would have to ask if you are going to be using it outside or inside of a shanty as far as line goes. If you are going to be using it inside the comforts of a shanty then by all means use the braided line. If you plan on fishing mostly outside then I would advise on using a mono or flourocarbon line. Lighter line for finesse fishing with smaller baits and heavier line for aggressive/heavier bait fishing.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:33 PM »
I'd put my first vote on a Fenwick Elite Tech. Great rod and handle. Also like the meatstick as said above (except for broken tip on one from a big cat)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Hey mushroom, are those reels any good on there 13 fishing combos?

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:26 PM »
If you like ripping darters or jigging raps.  Get a 30-32" medium.  A medium light will pre load and not work as well.

If your talking buck shots, pks or similar spoons, you'll be fine with a medium light.  I'd go at least 28", I like fishing with longer rods though, I'd probably go 32".

I'd check out the Jason Mitchell Medium Action Walleye Rod. 

Lined with a good 4lb fluorocarbon, I like Seaguar Invisx.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2013, 06:42 AM »
Hey mushroom, are those reels any good on there 13 fishing combos?
I couldn't tell ya as I do not own any as I don't buy the combos, usually just the rods. Although a buddy of mine has the wicked combo and he seemed pretty happy with it I guess.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2013, 07:11 AM »
If you like ripping darters or jigging raps.  Get a 30-32" medium.  A medium light will pre load and not work as well.

If your talking buck shots, pks or similar spoons, you'll be fine with a medium light.  I'd go at least 28", I like fishing with longer rods though, I'd probably go 32".

I'd check out the Jason Mitchell Medium Action Walleye Rod. 

Lined with a good 4lb fluorocarbon, I like Seaguar Invisx.
Thanks for te good info. Henry.When did you move to Ak.
?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2013, 02:50 PM »
I moved up in September and I already miss walleyes.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Check out the new Aetos by Fenwick, they have really upped their game a lot.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I'd spend the little extra and get an American made rod like a Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart 28" Medium ($63 for the base model) and put on a Shimano reel. Spend a little extra and you should be able to get at least 25+ years out of the combo if taken care of.

As for the Fireline I have used a quite a bit over the years and gave it several chances as they came out with new versions. All the Fireline sucks balls IMO. It is flat and just overall handles crappy. Suffix makes much better braided and fused lines that are actually round.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2013, 11:53 PM »
24" for walleye? You real short stick guys are nutso!!!! Personal preference I totally understand, but I wouldn't do anything with a 24" besides sight fish gills.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I think the 24 inch Jason Mitchell walleye rod is great for inside smaller one man flips

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:30 AM »
One lakes with bigger walleyes I'm going to use 38" medium frabils

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:47 PM »
The uglystik medium weight 24" is the best action I can find anywhere for walleys in 24ft of water or less and beyond that I move to the medium heavy 25" but I put 6lb braid on so there's really no need for the heavier weight rod when deeper than 24ft
go hard or go home

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.