Author Topic: Hali jig  (Read 15635 times)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
Re: Hali jig
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:07 AM »
perch
green
blue and silver
Red sometimes

Yes I have manyu of these and similar lures.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Heavier jigs fish 'faster' than lighter jigs. the heavier the jig the harder you can pound them because they fall really fast. light spoons tend to flutter down but these jigs are up and down really fast. also for deep water you can get them down ASAP and when they hit the bottom they make a thud which can attract fish. I use the 35 mm one for everything and it works well, especially deep water. They present a larger profile too so its more appealing to bigger fish. but if you have a stiffer rod you can pound these jigs really aggresively because of the extra weight.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:37 PM »
My own little twist to the hali. I tie a dropper off the eye the lil chain hooks to. For your dropper i like to use a lighter line. 4# on reel 2#dropper. Size 12 or 14 hook on dropper. Tip the hali hook with a minnow. the dropper with just one mousie. Pound it off the bottom to get some attention. The minnow will bounce the grub off the bottom. The lighter the dropper rig the easier for finnicky fish to bite. Combined with a vexilar it's not even fair to a school of perch.But....... I lost the biggest lake trout of my life after he snapped that 2# dropper line.First time my reels been fully spooled.
 :'(
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:24 PM »
My own little twist to the hali. I tie a dropper off the eye the lil chain hooks to. For your dropper i like to use a lighter line. 4# on reel 2#dropper. Size 12 or 14 hook on dropper. Tip the hali hook with a minnow. the dropper with just one mousie. Pound it off the bottom to get some attention. The minnow will bounce the grub off the bottom. The lighter the dropper rig the easier for finnicky fish to bite. Combined with a vexilar it's not even fair to a school of perch.But....... I lost the biggest lake trout of my life after he snapped that 2# dropper line.First time my reels been fully spooled.
 :'(
Try heavier shorter droppers and you will catch more fish and have less tangles. I see many guys with droppers that are too long. If ya ran a chain you might have mounted that laker?
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Def. learned a lesson. Think I'll stick  to the 4#dropper. Chain was on. Gotta mix it up. Thanx man.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.