Author Topic: Jigging  (Read 2812 times)

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
Jigging
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:27 PM »
O.K.guys im looking for some advice on jigging.Im not much for doing it,but thats mostly because I to put it bluntly suck at it.I dont think I have ever caught one.Just looking for a little advice.What to use that is productive? Where and how deep to jig? I would like to give it another try. Thanks for any and all advice.Bob

Offline Wardo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:28 PM »
What are you going to be fishing for? ???

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:07 PM »
perch crappie bass

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:53 PM »
You're using a flasher right?

just jig above the fish mark...eventually you'll get some to bite.

If you don't have a flasher...there may not even be fish down there...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Perch are usually close to the bottom, often within a foot of the bottom. Try hali's with a spike on the hook, jiggle it lightly with a few rips mixed in. Hali's are good, willows and small minnow type jigs too. Crappie wil suspend anywheres, so its a good idea to work the water column if you don't have a flasher. Crappies seem to prefer a horizontal jig like a Genz worm. Hope this helps, carm.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:10 PM »
do what carmifisher says to do or sometimes just let it sit dead about 6-12 inches off the bottom. I prefer to always keep the jig moving and us a small bobber to monitor the bite, no electronics. I perch fish and use minnows or mousies, waxies or spikes.When the bobber makes an irregular move ,that''s a fish!

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Thanks guys ill give it a shot,Ill keep ya posted.

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Wow. Thats a good question. I've been sitting here for about 10 mins figuring out how I jig. I fish some pertty stained water, so I like a buckshot with a single hook or a dropper, so I've got some sound and flash. I tip it with a minnow head. I pinch off the minnow head so theres some entrails hanging out. I think this is better then a clean cut. Then I just jig it to beat hell a couple three times then let it sit for a bit. It just depends on how the're hitting. Might have to slow up, jig higher so it can fall, or let it hit bottom now and then to stir things up. Once you get use to it, you wont even think about it.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Don't forget the 'Dinnerbell ring method' especially for a buckshot.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2010, 02:41 AM »
I would like to suggest the sometimes overlooked slip bobber rig.  AKA the slip float has been my standard rig for a long time.  It is a type of jigging in my mind since it is a vertical presentation.  For this reason, like jigging, it is especially well suited for ice fishing.  There is nothing about a slip float, in fact, that prevents you from using any jigging technique.  It is jigging if you wish it to be and is easier to manage than a dead stick if you want that.  

Jigging has really become the go to technique for ice fishing because of sonar.  But, sonar is just a helpful with a slip float as with any other jigging presentation.  When you can mark your lure consistently in relation to the bottom and even mark fish as they interact with the bait then the whole bobber think becomes unnecessary though and fisherman love to simplify.   It slightly more trouble to rig a slip bobber and to retie it and a bit more tackle to carry so a lot of guys, esp those with sonar, skip the bobber entirely even though  Jigging without a bobber is something that takes some practice with or without a sonar.

But don't let that fool you.  The slip bobber is one deadly rig.  It's easy to tend compared to jigging which requires far more attention.   You can set your bobber stop to get you down to the desired depth very quickly, quicker than a plain jighead.  And when you really are into a lot of fish that really matters.  You can also dead stick it far more easily than without the float.  

I like to set up a slip float right away.  Then I can get settled a bit and then maybe use a plain jig in the other hole.  The slip float works for sure and there are certain presentations that can only be accomplished with a very carefully weighted float...oops.. don't want to give out any secrets, hehe. tight lines

Offline shibes24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I am one that never uses a float when ice fishing.  I enjoy jigging much much more, but when I fish with my dad, that's all he uses.  I always out fish him when it comes to numbers of fish.  Every time I out, I would say I get him 2-3 fish to his 1.  However, without a doubt, the fish that he catches on his float are always big.  We mainly fish for gills and for whatever reason, while I will catch more fish, he usually gets the more bigger fish on his float. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Jigging with a (slip)bobber...shhhhhhhhh

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I almost always use a slipbobber. I'm usally fishing with two or three rods in the water, and when I get a bite on one, the others are still in the same spot. Works for me. If I don't have a bobber on I still use a bobber stop to mark my line.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline handload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:13 AM »
Wow...when did jigging get so techinical?? I was not raised ice fishing so I have had to learn how and where on my own. I find it interesting that there is so much "stuff" being used. I'm not nearly as good of a perch jerker that I'm sure many of you all are.........but then again, I always get lots of perch and usually plenty of rubber neckers looking at my pails at the parking lot and bait shop.

I use home made bibbits (just crush a couple sinkers around a hook and paint with nail polish) and a cheep rod and real. Cut holes untill I find the size and numbers I want and then start filling buckets. No bait used, No bait needed.  No barbs on the bibbit either so that I only have to bounce the fish on the pail and it will become unhooked, occasionaly will loose one befor I get it on the ice but usually this is not a problem if the line is kept tight. No need or time to handle the fish on the ice, plenty of fish handeling to be done later when they are being prepared for the freezer.

I'm not bragging here......just trying to explain a very simple, cheep and efficient way to fill the freezer.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:24 AM »
do what carmifisher says to do or sometimes just let it sit dead about 6-12 inches off the bottom. I prefer to always keep the jig moving and us a small bobber to monitor the bite, no electronics. I perch fish and use minnows or mousies, waxies or spikes.When the bobber makes an irregular move ,that''s a fish!
I agree. There are times when using this technique when jigging for walleyes is the only way you will detect the bite even if you are keeping a close eye on your flasher. Sometimes when jigging they want it completely still after the jigging motion and you can't duplicate this without a slip bobber- I've seen it on the camera. :tipup:
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:59 AM »
I found some small 1" glow in the dark tube baits made by Gary Yamamoto. I hook them on tiny ( 1/16) airplane jigs. I watched my presentation on my camera and found that if I shake them just enough to make the tails wiggle a little, the yellow perch hit them without any hesitation. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.