Author Topic: HOW TO STOP JIGS FROM SPINNING?  (Read 13241 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: HOW TO STOP JIGS FROM SPINNING?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Smallest swivel you can find 18" up the line.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline oldstuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies on the above subject.  I will try the barrel swivel tomorrow and see if it changes my luck. 

All the best and good fishing!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:10 AM »
Yep, in-line barrel swivel.  Works every time.  The "spin" put on the jig is actually caused by your reel.  A spinning reel actually will put the twist on the line, and the twist severity will directly depend on how deep you're dropping the jig.  When you retrieve it, the reel is twisting the line and the jig will slowly spin, but the tension and length on the line doesn't allow the counterweight to keep up.  When the jig comes out of the water, it spins like a top - that is line twist, which causes, as we know, weakness in the line and maddening loops that can create birds nests and line wrap ups at the rod tip.

The barrel swivel acts as the buffer, allowing the line to spin while the counterweight remains stationary, hence, way reduced line twist and far less spinning jiggery...  Go with the barrel swivel placed like the others have suggested.  For added stealth, you can tie off the last 12"-18" lead with fluorocarbon, rather than ice mono or braid.  Choose an appropriate sized barrel swivel for weight of your tackle.  The lighter the tackle, the smaller the barrel (weight considerations, ultralight jig heads drift down slow, and a big barrel could outrace it...)

The analysis of the jig spin appears to be incorrect.  I have a different observation.  A spinning reel does not effect as much line twist onto the jig as believed.  Just about all the line twist caused by the spinning reel is wrapped up onto the reel spool as you crank up your line.  No braid or fireline makes your jig spin, but you can see the line twist on fireline if you look carefully and crank up really slowly.  Near impossible to see, but if you crank slowly in the air, you will see the difference between a heavily coiled line versus an extremely supple line's effect on the jig.  The exceptions would be a flattened, ribbon fireline and the difference between spinning reel performance. 

Most of the jig spin is caused by either the jig profile or the line memory coils.  I don't need to discuss about the jig profile, that's self explanatory.  Even a bad knot position will effect the jig's profile.  The line coils will induce jig spin between your rod tip and the jig.  The line coils will spin in a screw pattern in the water through the path of least resistance.  It happens on free fall of the jig and as you crank up the jig.  Try it with a plain unbaited light jig head and watch it free fall down the water column.  If your line is coily, your jig will slowly sink in a circular downward spiral.  The spinning isn't doing anything to it on an open bail, so therefore the jig spin isn't caused by the spinning reel.  Of course the open bail with all the wrapped line twists in the form of line memory coils will put in effect all that twists onto the jig.

I don't experience the amount of jig spin requiring the use of a barrel swivel even with jigs into the weights of 1/100th oz.  It's an equipment performance that made the difference.  Biggest effect is choosing a quality lines.  Try Gamma ESP 2# and see the difference.  Try Pline Floroice 2# but the line does require a pre-strecth to cure out the line memory coils.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I agree with berkleyforlife about turning off the anti reverse. i think it's more fun fighting the fish that way, but i hve lost a fish or two by not turning it back on (and not paying attention).  that said, would a small bait casting reel help eliminate the twist? i've seen one at a local store relatively inexpensive with a drag setting. any thoughts?

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:36 PM »
one more thought. wouldn't a split shot or a barrel swivel affect your ability to detect an "up-bite" such as that of a crappie lifting the bait up instead of pulling it down?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:31 PM »
one more thought. wouldn't a split shot or a barrel swivel affect your ability to detect an "up-bite" such as that of a crappie lifting the bait up instead of pulling it down?

Yep, to include jig performance changes.  If I'm weighing down a jig, I will weigh it down enough to induce the bobbing rod tip action.  Kind of like the concept of weighing down a float so that it will sink very easily or show an up bite.  People will say...use a spring bobber, but it's just not my preference.   Also split shots, the removable kind will sometimes induce spin if you're jigging up quickly or reeling up quickly. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Get rid of your reals and the problem is solved. ;D

Although I usualy sight fish from a dark house in less than 15 feet of water.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:35 PM »
pre-stretching your line really does seem to help,as well as fresh line.

Offline IcePaul33

• IceShanty Rookie
  • As the sun rises.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:07 PM »
According to my fishing buddy I out fished him last night 40 to one. Catch and release of course. ;D  Only difference was my #14 cheap ol barrel swivel. I also try to back reel as much as possible with 1 & 2 Lb. test line for panfish. I also have jigs with floro tied to them. I use a small tackle tamer to wrap them on. On the loop end I use a perfection loop that I use for fly fishing. I can tie these in the dark while asleep I've done so many. Very simple knot. Push it though the swivel eye and pass the jig through the loop and walla you're fishing. Very rarely do I tie knots while on the ice anymore. It also helps me get those tiny jigs down quicker. Only problem I have had is the fish nibbling at the brass swivel and moving my spring bobber. Hope this helps.

IP

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:46 PM »
barrel swivel works good

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:16 PM »
knot ?  yes has to be a knot that grips the jig eye tightly.  and after each fish you need to reset it to the correct angle. takes 1 sec. ;D

"The FishinFoool" :tipup:

Where should the knot placement be on most jigs? 12 o clock?

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:39 PM »
your best bet is probably using a barrel swivel.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Use a chainsaw and cut a 6" wide by 100' long trench in the ice, then walk and "troll" your jig the length of the trench... this will prevent all jig spinning! ;) ;D :P
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline slab_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:13 PM »
High quality ball bearing swivels- don't skimp on these. You will notice the difference. 2' (min.) flouro leader. Keep your knot & bait straight. On horizontal jigs, I usually pull the knot so it's pointed @ the hook
It's not about luck, it's skill & determination

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.