Author Topic: HOW TO STOP JIGS FROM SPINNING?  (Read 13239 times)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
HOW TO STOP JIGS FROM SPINNING?
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:55 PM »
What type of line and test to keep jigs from spinning???

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HOW TO STOP JIGS FROM SPINNING?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:11 PM »
There was article in in-fisherman just last month addressing this problem.  One solution they had was to try dropshotting (weight placed below the hook).  Another option they said was to keep the jig moving all the time.  This probably does work to stop the jig from spinning, but I'm sure the fish will not always like it.  I'm going to try the dropshot technique sometime.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:36 PM »
There was article in in-fisherman just last month addressing this problem.  One solution they had was to try dropshotting (weight placed below the hook).  Another option they said was to keep the jig moving all the time.  This probably does work to stop the jig from spinning, but I'm sure the fish will not always like it.  I'm going to try the dropshot technique sometime.
The dropshot sounds good, Thanks!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Barrel swivel  1 1/2 ' up from the jig has always worked for me, let me add that I don't use small jigs though.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:01 PM »
good ball bearing swivels a foot or so above, i still get a little spinning after awhile of fishing  but sure does make a big difference.  when the lure starts spinning i just put a new leader on and the spinning is fixed for awhile, just repeat the process as necessary. 

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:05 PM »
barrel swivel works for me

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:10 PM »
A good, small swivel 18 inches above the lure. It works magic.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:17 PM »
There are some very tiny barrel swivels on the market these days, and I even use them on my 2 lb test setups.  Spro makes some really good ones, but I also use Sampo swivels.  Put them 1.5 feet above your jig.  I have had fish come and look at the swivel, maybe even hit it...but I don't think it has reduced the amount of fish I catch.  If anything, it increases it because some fish really don't like jig spin.

I didn't use swivels up until last year.  I always had trouble with line twist after bringing loads of fish through the ice, especially when fishing deeper water.  The swivels make a huge difference.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline smokeater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:18 PM »
 I read about tying a loop knot onto your jig. Google loop knot and I am sure there is a you tube clip on how to tie the knot Good luck

Offline steelieATC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Cant beat the barrel swivel....then you dont have to play with split shots.

Offline fishfearme

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:31 AM »
stretch your line by holding on to it with one hand and pulling it through your fingers on the other hand to take the twist out of the line.when putting spikes or whatever on the jig,make them hang straight as you can off the jig.this should take most of the spin out.i always use the lightest line possible.for pan fish i use 2# test

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:11 AM »
Ditto on the barrel swivel.. 1-2 feet above the jig. Even works with tiny jigs :)

I never knew how much spin was actually happening until I saw it on the Marcum Camera. Switched to a  inline swivel that day!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:16 AM »
swivel, fish don't care much for spinning lures

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:20 AM »

put a fathead on it  ;D

he will go where he wants and it will be ok.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:12 PM »
i am going to tie hair on the hook of my jigs and see if that helps
i let my jigs spin above the ice till they stop this does help
but the drop shoot may be the answer
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 02:43 PM »
Yep, in-line barrel swivel.  Works every time.  The "spin" put on the jig is actually caused by your reel.  A spinning reel actually will put the twist on the line, and the twist severity will directly depend on how deep you're dropping the jig.  When you retrieve it, the reel is twisting the line and the jig will slowly spin, but the tension and length on the line doesn't allow the counterweight to keep up.  When the jig comes out of the water, it spins like a top - that is line twist, which causes, as we know, weakness in the line and maddening loops that can create birds nests and line wrap ups at the rod tip.

The barrel swivel acts as the buffer, allowing the line to spin while the counterweight remains stationary, hence, way reduced line twist and far less spinning jiggery...  Go with the barrel swivel placed like the others have suggested.  For added stealth, you can tie off the last 12"-18" lead with fluorocarbon, rather than ice mono or braid.  Choose an appropriate sized barrel swivel for weight of your tackle.  The lighter the tackle, the smaller the barrel (weight considerations, ultralight jig heads drift down slow, and a big barrel could outrace it...)
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:59 AM »
If one swivel works good, would two spaced a couple inches apart work better???
Leave it better than you found it

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:07 AM »
If one swivel works good, would two spaced a couple inches apart work better???

??? ::) ??? ;D ......... use in moderation......... 8)

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:30 AM »
Yep, in-line barrel swivel.  Works every time.  The "spin" put on the jig is actually caused by your reel.  A spinning reel actually will put the twist on the line, and the twist severity will directly depend on how deep you're dropping the jig.  When you retrieve it, the reel is twisting the line and the jig will slowly spin, but the tension and length on the line doesn't allow the counterweight to keep up.  When the jig comes out of the water, it spins like a top - that is line twist, which causes, as we know, weakness in the line and maddening loops that can create birds nests and line wrap ups at the rod tip.

The barrel swivel acts as the buffer, allowing the line to spin while the counterweight remains stationary, hence, way reduced line twist and far less spinning jiggery...  Go with the barrel swivel placed like the others have suggested.  For added stealth, you can tie off the last 12"-18" lead with fluorocarbon, rather than ice mono or braid.  Choose an appropriate sized barrel swivel for weight of your tackle.  The lighter the tackle, the smaller the barrel (weight considerations, ultralight jig heads drift down slow, and a big barrel could outrace it...)

Yep, what the doc said. Especially if your drag is slipping when you are reeling fish in (hard to avoid when fishing 2 lb) you will twist the line up QUICK.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Yep, what the doc said. Especially if your drag is slipping when you are reeling fish in (hard to avoid when fishing 2 lb) you will twist the line up QUICK.
i always use 2lb test-lots of action and spinning-even with a swivel

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Yep, that's the fastest way to twist up your line and is one of the most common mistakes made by anglers with spinning gear.  A friend of mine gets way over-excited when a fish of size gets on the line, and its crank, crank, crank despite the fish running on him pulling drag.  Then he gets all frustrated when, after getting the fish off the hook (if he lands it) the line turns into a tangled slinky and he has to strip off 50 or 60 feet of line to get to some not so slinkified mono.

When fish are pulling drag on a spinning rig, take your time and reel what the fish gives ya.  Eventually it tires out, but play that fish, that's the fun - the battle on!  

The swivel isn't going to stop all line twist, but it does reduce it tremendously.

The barrel swivel takes care of a lot of this, but it will not help ya much when the fish is pulling drag and you're crankin' away.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Hey Doc, how badly does a swivel effect the action.  Wish I had a camera.

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:00 PM »
Also, when fighting a stout fish that is taking your drag out, try turning off your anti-reverse(if your reel has it) and reel back words to give the fish more line.  This will also reduce the line twist.  I know this technique is hard to master as if you give the fish too much line you can get one heck of a tangle, but if you ever watch professional bass fisherman using spinning gear, almost all of them do this while fighting the fish.  Just another tip to try-out.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Hey Doc, how badly does a swivel effect the action.  Wish I had a camera.
It doesn't, unless you're using too heavy a barrel swivel, then your presentation will look like crap on the drop.

At least I have never had it affect the presentation.  Actually improves it as you don't have the twist in the line to contend with...
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:56 PM »

Yep, I agree, same as "soft" water fishing. Try not to reel when the drag is spinning (easier said then done!!). On a bigger fish use the rod to work the fish up, and then reel as you drop your rod down to the water and repeat. Enjoy-cya....

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I tend to think it starts before you drop your jig all the way down the hole.
   after you tie and bait your jig drop it in the hole and look at the action as you jig
,if it spins and is out of balance you NEED to tune it up a bit.

depending on with type of jig you use you may need to do different things.
     I really think swivels are NOT the answer unless you are useing a spoon or bigger jig.
   pan fishing you need to pull your knot to to proper side of the jig so it swimms correctly............. ....
             will help ALOT!!!! ;)
                                            I hope this helps you with this problem.       "The FishinFoool" :tipup:_______________tight lines!
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:30 PM »
  would it depend on what type of knot is used ?

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:23 PM »
knot ?  yes has to be a knot that grips the jig eye tightly.  and after each fish you need to reset it to the correct angle. takes 1 sec. ;D

"The FishinFoool" :tipup:
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:42 PM »
  What type of knots do most of you tie ?

Offline Mark Komo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:57 PM »
A couple of things I picked up from Gillespie and Guide Larry Smith (we filmed a show last year with my tow boys), was to use the rapala know on the jig.  No reseting to be horizontal.  Then he used like a #12 spro barrel swivel just above.   No spinning. Works pretty good.
Bass are for guys that cant catch walleyes! Troll for show, jig for $$$$$

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.