Author Topic: Marmish Rods!  (Read 18452 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Marmish Rods!
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 01:26 AM »
There is no better set up than this. This thing has a adjustable strike indicator on the end so I can set it for those very light strike days. And the panfish rod is less than eight inches long. I can take the jig and bounce it up and down in a quarter inch area instead of jumping it up and down with my 24" rod 1-2"es. These rods are crazy awesome for those fish that won't bite. the jig just sits and vibrates instead of bouncing up and down. You guy have got to get one and try it.

Offline Soft_Spot_716

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marmish Rods!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:33 AM »
i have seen these rods online mostly on this site and watched a video of them on the marmish site but what stores do u find them in i havent seen em in any of the stores here in newyork and how much do they run???     
Tight Lines and remember Keep Your Stick on The Ice

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:26 AM »
You can purchase directly from Marmish on there site.

Offline Soft_Spot_716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2009, 04:59 PM »
sweet ill have to try check that out maybe pick a couple up even though its closing in on the end of ice for me can always use em off the docks with my younger cousin at the lakehouse this summer.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I really wish they would start selling them in stores as I would like to check them out first hand so to speak. None of the stores around here have even heard of them, might break down and order one through the site. I hate ordering stuff online :unsure:
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline stilljiggn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DONT BE AN ICE HOLE!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:02 PM »
              I  bought  one  on  ebay  at  the  beginning of  the  season  on  ebay  for  25$.  Man  what  a  fish  catchin  machine!!!!!  My  buddy said  to  me  is  that  a  toy   and  i  laugh  when  i  out  fish  him  4 to 1.  Now  he  has  one.  They  r  great  deff.  try  and  buy  one  if  you  have  a  lil  extra  cash.

jim

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:44 PM »
If everyone would give them a chance, fish would become endangered! :laugh:

The Marmish indicator beats St. Croix hands down. I sold my last Legend a few weeks ago. :)

Those short little rods are so dang handy, it is hard to go back to a 24'' stick. You can slip a Marmish rod in your pocket, or just keep it in your tackle bag. I prefer a reel for fishing in +30 feet of water, so I built a 12'' rod with a marmish spring on the end. I am done with long rods, short is the new trend. 8)

Offline Soft_Spot_716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:39 AM »
im kinda with madpuppy on the whole online thing i like to look at stuff first hand but will shop around online for better prices on stuff but buying from marmish's site u will probably get the best price with the least markup. 

Offline icecutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:58 AM »
    I bought one you just have to get used to the size of it and then it is a great rod.

Offline big game hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:48 PM »
i was thinking of getting one of them but i woul like to see some better picts of them like were the line is on it cause there is no reel,the bite indicater,the rod itself because for reason i cant get marmish.com up on my computer
Lets Go Fishing

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:29 PM »
marmish.com is not their addy! :D

http://www.marmish.ca/

.ca, as in cannuk! or you can just click on the banner at the top of the page. ;)

Offline shanty man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:20 PM »
greatest rod on the market !!! eBay has them the cheapest, try them by putting it on the metalslides that hold the hole cover. use a large      rubberband to hold it    then let the wind jig for you

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:22 PM »
greatest rod on the market !!! eBay has them the cheapest, try them by putting it on the metalslides that hold the hole cover. use a large      rubberband to hold it    then let the wind jig for you

We need video of this.

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:03 PM »
First off... I have no doubt that people who say they work great know what they are talking about.

That being said, I have no idea what could possibly appeal about these "rods". To me they look like a "As Seen On TV" gimmick. What gives? I understand the need for sensitivity but that can't be it entirely, can it?? If these things truly are the bee's knees I'd be willing to give it a shot. There simply isn't anything about the Marmish rod design that appeals to me from the pictures I've seen.

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:19 PM »
Id like to try one, but afraid it will be like the "Jig-Up". Good idea, poor execution.

Offline 7gjed73q

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2009, 01:37 PM »
You're right to suspect that it might be a gimmick, but it's gotta be telling you something that so many people have tried it and everybody liked it. In European countries where ice fishing is popular, the tiny marmish style rods are the most popular. On the actual website, the video shows the guy, who is apparently a n00b, reeling in the big pike that he gets on the little rod, although the website itself indicates NOT to use the reel to reel in fish. They advocate hand-lining it in. That said, I make my own prototypes of these ultra sensitive rods and if there is any fish on a body of water, this rod will make them bite no matter what.

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I will probably try one next year, why not, it's only money right? If I don't like it, eBay it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2009, 04:31 PM »
First off... I have no doubt that people who say they work great know what they are talking about.

That being said, I have no idea what could possibly appeal about these "rods". To me they look like a "As Seen On TV" gimmick. What gives? I understand the need for sensitivity but that can't be it entirely, can it?? If these things truly are the bee's knees I'd be willing to give it a shot. There simply isn't anything about the Marmish rod design that appeals to me from the pictures I've seen.

Come out to the MN Get together and you can play with mine. I got it from Len, the inventor of the product at the St. Paul Ice Show. It looks like a stupid toy, I am not going to deny that. Once you realize how well it works, you wont think that anymore. I used to be a sceptic too, you wont find a post of mine prior to this years ice show even giving a plug to Marmish. Len found me at the show, gave me a little education, and I saw the light. :)

The "reel" is not a reel, it is a spool that you can tension with your palm to pay line out to running fish. It is like a fly fishing reel, you use the spool to pay out line while they run, then you hand line them in. You could try to reel them in with it, but it wont work very well. It wont ice up, it wont tangle, and it wont birds nest. Trouble free!

The Marmish indicator beats the competition hands down. I sold my last St. Croix, and I don't miss it!

Offline 7gjed73q

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Unless you met with a guy from the early 1900's you didn't mean with the inventor of it. This could have been the founder of the company that makes these rods, but they were invented by someone else, a while ago.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:20 PM »
Plastic didn't exist in the early 1900s, and it would be tough to make one without it.

Mr. Heater didn't invent fire or propane either. ;)

Offline 7gjed73q

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I didn't say plastic did exist back then. It would have had to have been made of metal and wood. Perhaps the blank wooden, spool metallic, and the bite detector also made of something metallic like thin guitar string. In fact, the marmish replicas that I make myself are made of metal and wood. Plastic is just cheaper nowadays, and they make it so that it doesn't last very long too. The guy is the founder of the company but not the inventor of the design of the rod. That's all I am correcting you with.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Patent law in not my strong suit, neither is legalese! We will just refer to Len as a product developer and professional world champion ice fisherman.

Can you post a pic of your knock offs? How did you rig up the spool? I am a tinkerer myself and I appreciate a fine contraption. ;)

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Im curious too marmish or not. I have my own Ideas.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:21 PM »
One thing that is also cool about marmish rods is you can keep a couple in your pocket rigged with different color jigs. That can be alot mor handy when hole hopping and covering holes in a short amount of time.

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:28 PM »
pocket or buckett what the diff?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:03 PM »
a pocket is attached to your pants, and a pail is not... ???

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:41 PM »
True, But are you jigging a "Worm'? I dont, well not mine! how many Marmish can you stuff in your pocket?

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:51 AM »
How many pockets do you have?
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline 7gjed73q

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2009, 10:46 AM »
or rather... how many pants do you have on??

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2009, 05:24 PM »
True, But are you jigging a "Worm'? I dont, well not mine! how many Marmish can you stuff in your pocket?

How many pockets do you have?

or rather... how many pants do you have on??

If I wear 4 pair of 5 pocket jeans, that makes 20 marmish rods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.