Author Topic: Jigging with lite jigs  (Read 9939 times)

Offline steubenlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jigging with lite jigs
« Reply #30 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:55 AM »
can't go wrong with a fiska!!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:47 PM »
I use my leader straightening patch for fly fishing.  It's a small leather patch that looks like a key fob split in two.  You place your leader in it, squeeze it and pull your leader through.  Works very well.  Available in fly shops, or usually anywhere fly fishing supplies are sold.  They seem to last forever.  I have had mine at least 10 years.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:16 PM »
pulling the line out with your drag loosened up isnt going to help this problem....  Pulling the line off with the drag causes your line to twist, which cause the line to coil.  I would try soaking your spool in warm water before you go fishing and try using a barrel swivel 12"-14" above yout rig.  This should help reduce the coiling

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Is tungsten heavier then lead?

yes it is!!

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:21 PM »
i tried using a split shot about 5 to 6 inches above jig yesterday. It worked great but the one problem i had was i could watch on camera and the fish kept taking the spilt shot

hmmm i think ill buy some silver fiskas look like a split shot

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:42 PM »
pulling the line out with your drag loosened up isnt going to help this problem....  Pulling the line off with the drag causes your line to twist, which cause the line to coil.  I would try soaking your spool in warm water before you go fishing and try using a barrel swivel 12"-14" above yout rig.  This should help reduce the coiling

I wouldn't soak the reel spool in water if this is what you imply.  The drag washers in many of them are oil based and I wouldn't want that stuff to break down prematurely due to water displacing the oiled felts.  Furthermore I don't like line that's just sitting and soaking up water.  As since it will have a high tendency to really freeze up when exposed to open environment with freezing temperature.

It's far much easier to use a slicone additive line treatment/conditioner and pre-treat your line before you go out fishing. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:32 PM »
i have found that using 2-4 fireline with 2-3lb pline floroice leader about 2-3' in length reduces jig spin and line coil. also if fishing deeper water try a drop shot setup...you can get really good action this way while still fishing tiny ice jigs with some weight for deep water..
]

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:50 AM »
Lots of good advice in this post.

I never add any weight or put anything between the jig and the rod. If your jig isn't heavy enough you have two choices IMO. 1) Use lighter line 2) use a heavier jig. For tiny jigs use a tungsten jig and no heavier than 1.5lb line.

This is what I most agree with. I'd also like to add that ESPECIALLY when fishing deeper waters, to convert to a braid with a fluorocarbon leader. Ryno's suggestion of fishing tiny jigs as a dropcrap rig is a great idea as well that I actually started experimenting with great success.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:34 PM »
i agree with the previous posts go to 2lb,and the fiskas really help.fish with them and you will see they are heavier noticeably.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:06 PM »
The fiskas are great with he 2 pound line.   Some of the others that are epoxy aren't that great as the line coils.  I'd be real nervous going with1 pound line.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I had some 6 year old 6# test line on a rod I pulled out of the basement. The line came off like a spring. The shops were out of 6# line so I had to straighten it and hope it was still 6# test. I tied a ball-bearing snap swivel on the end and hooked it up to the zipper on the tent. Walked out 15 feet past the depth I was fishing and pulled on the line and then let it go slack. Than ran my pinched fingers down the line 5-10" and pulled on the line and then let it go slack again. I did this all the way down to the swivel. The pull sends the twist throughout the line and the slack allows the swivel to spin. Test the swivel after you tie it on by rolling the line between your fingers by the knot. If the swivel does not spin it is bad and it must be a ball-bearing swivel. Before I reeled it in I gave the line one more pull to get the kinks out. It was mostly twist and kink free and after I reeled it in I pulled some off and there was little twist or springiness. I bet if I used the leader straightener for fly fishing it would of been even straighter. 

Offline walligator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2010, 12:09 PM »
I was doing just that, but still had plenty of coils.  What line has the least memory?  I've heard of the split shot reducing the action/sensitivity of the jigs and line.

kb

try using fireline. i use and love it. there is no memory at all. never kinks or coils or anything. work awesome. lil expensive, but worth it. and this stuff is tuff. ive used 6lb tst or even lighter. cant remember, but i pulled out alot of fish n rubbing on the ice while fighting the fish and never breaks on me. GOOD LUCK!!
<WaLlIgAtOr>

Offline jdenmanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:24 PM »
I always fish the small Marmooska on 2lb Trilene XL with no problems like this. It may be worth a try. I have landed bass up to 5lbs. on it.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:21 PM »
i have had good luck with trilene micro ice in 2lb.its brought in a few bass over 5lb and just pulled in 9 Chanel cats  this wk biggest was 7.5lbs.Berkley fireline micro ice and cold weather also seem to be working well.have 1lb cold weather on 1 pole but the biggest on it so far was a 1.5lb crappie so i cant say how its going to do with something bigger.i tried that mono sewing thread at wally word that was on one post but i didn't think it was Even as strong as the 1lb.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:04 PM »
try using a lighter line

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.