The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tawas Lake  (Read 3398 times)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Tawas Lake
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Has anyone fished Tawas Lake in Tawas? I stopped by and couldn't find anything deeper than four feet. Feels like a soft bottom. I have heard that there are good bluegills and some decent pike in there.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tawas Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:51 AM »
Yep thats Tawas lake, fairly shallow, but does have decent gills when you find them.

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:47 PM »
The north end is the best for panfish in the summertime. It is not a deep lake.  Good pike though.  Be careful on the north end as that is where the water comes in.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Not to hijack your thread, but I seen Tawas and it caught my eye. We have a cottage on Cedar lake in Oscoda. When I was a kid I remember the old man next door going out and absolutely slaying the perch. I haven't ice fished nor really fished Cedar lake in years. Any of you guys ever get out over there? My brother lives on VanEtten and I usually do my fishing there.

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:36 AM »
I haven't fishes either in a long time. If you are going to make a trip to Tawas I would just head for the bay.  It might be a bit of a wall right now with the ice conditions, but when you can drive out there it can be worth it. The perch catch isn't what it used to be but it can keep you entertained and if you get into the larger fish the trip will definitely be one to remember.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Finally figured out how to fish this lake.

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Nice! Good job. I was in town and fished the bay yesterday.  Didn't catch anything. I actually considered heading for Tawas Lake. Do you live up there?  I have a lake suggestion.  I always wanted to ice fish Indian Lake. I have caught a HUGE crappie and other nice panfish in the summer there.  I'd have to look at the map for location ideas but I doubt it gets fished very hard making it a good option.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Great bluegill bite until this guy showed up. Hooked him in the lip. Two pound test made for an interesting fight. Released as soon as I snapped the picture. The guy next to me caught a 45" pike and released it as well. Big pike in this lake if you know where to go.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Nice! Good job. I was in town and fished the bay yesterday.  Didn't catch anything. I actually considered heading for Tawas Lake. Do you live up there?  I have a lake suggestion.  I always wanted to ice fish Indian Lake. I have caught a HUGE crappie and other nice panfish in the summer there.  I'd have to look at the map for location ideas but I doubt it gets fished very hard making it a good option.
I live a few miles from the lake, it took a few trips for me to figure out how to fish a shallow lake but I have limited out on the last three trips.
Haven't tried Indian lake, my neighbor fishes Sand and Round Lakes and does ok on walleye.

Offline martini77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I have never fished there, but my brother in law and I are going up there saturday, any tips you care to share?  how is the ice?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:43 AM »
As of yesterday there was over a foot of ice with about eight inches of snow. Be prepared to do some searching for a spot with no reeds but the fish are big once you find them.
If you see a black Shappell shanty with the Ice Shanty logo stop by!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Those are some awesome fish. Would love to get out one or two more times this year.

Offline martini77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated, if I see you out there I will certainly stop by! 

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the help. I was wondering where everyone parks at.

thanks

Offline martini77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2016, 10:35 AM »
We tried it, tough day for fishing.  Lots of people, lots of moving around and lots of reeds.  Didn't have much luck.  I looked for your shanty but there were a few black shappels out there.  Did you have any luck?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2016, 05:01 PM »
That's a tricky lake, best bite was in the afternoon. They were hitting just under the ice.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Pulled a two man limit yesterday. Lots of good ice and too much snow. Found the spot where everyone parks at the end of a road. May try to get out one or two more times this year.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2016, 03:08 PM »
One of the "old timers" showed me his trick. He has a weighted treble hook on a heavy cord and uses it to clear the reeds under his holes, then he waits a bit for the water to clear. It seemed to work because he started catching bluegills.

Offline martini77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:01 AM »
Just my luck, we didn't stick around for the afternoon bite.  Were you out int he morning FullTmeDad?  That is a neat trick, I will have to try that if we fish that lake again.  Apparently there are some big pike there as well. 

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:54 PM »
I didn't get out till after noon. Back out today, incredible bite. Limited out in two hours and spent the rest of the afternoon culling out the small ones. Snow is sloppy wet and this is probably the last few days on this lake.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Got a limit yesterday and landed/released a nice 29" pike on the jigging rod but the fat lady is singing. Sixty plus degrees and a warm rain for the next two days. The ice was soft and this weather will wipe it out.
Time to put the gear away for another season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.