Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89341 times)

Offline trekr200

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Question for Iowan Ice Anglers
« Reply #420 on: Dec 11, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Potatoe,
It is labeled as one the 5 best places to ice fish in Iowa.  Also, I have family that live close to the lake.

Mike
Everybody has got to believe in something...I believe I'll go fishing.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/Squareneck/IMG_20161001_233426_zpsxa0qihbb.jpg

Offline trekr200

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Creek Lake Newbie
« Reply #421 on: Dec 11, 2016, 04:18 PM »
We are planning a trip to Big Creek in early February.  We have never fished the lake and I was wondering if we could get some advice from you folks? 

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike
Everybody has got to believe in something...I believe I'll go fishing.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/Squareneck/IMG_20161001_233426_zpsxa0qihbb.jpg

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:58 PM »
interesting info, I just went to the Iowa DNR site. There are two maps you can print, one has locations of structure but not sure I understand the coordinates.

The lake is super close to me and we barely fish it because we have probably not given it a chance

There is a bait shop in Polk City also, easy to find next to the Kum and Go gas station

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #423 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Potatoe,
It is labeled as one the 5 best places to ice fish in Iowa.  Also, I have family that live close to the lake.

Mike
I'm also curious, where did you find Big Creek labeled as one of the 5 best places to fish in Iowa???

Offline Hard H2O Gold Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Creek Lake Newbie
« Reply #424 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:34 PM »
I live 15 miles from Big Creek. Never caught a keeper walleye yet in 10 years. Have managed to get some nice gills and crappie. I fish it a couple times a month just cause it's close but I would rather drive for better fishing. I refer to it as the Dead Sea. I hear others can do well but apparently I just don't have the knack for this lake. I do 10 times better open water fishing here than through the ice. Good luck on your trip.

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #427 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:10 PM »
About a week ago a friend said it was not capped. I don't think the ice is very thick there if it did cap.

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #428 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:25 PM »
From my experience your better off going elsewhere.

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #429 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:46 PM »
From my experience I would go elsewhere.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #430 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:40 PM »
Well from my experience when someone says fishing is no good go someplace else they want to keep the place to themselves! Just kidding! I also saw the Iowa DNR says that it is one of the top 5spots for ice fishing in Iowa.
Keep,it safe! JDL

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:48 PM »
If you wish to experience first hand feel free:) I'm not one of those guys. Id rather have someone who travels spend there time wisely instead of wasted.

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #432 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:52 PM »
If you wish to experience first hand feel free:) I'm not one of those guys. Id rather have someone who travels spend there time wisely instead of wasted.

Agreed!! In my experience it is one of those lakes that takes time to figure out...Time that I wouldn't want to spend if traveling...

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #433 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Took the boat out two weeks ago. Plenty of brush piles on the west side of the lake (in a bout 15'-25'). Dropped the camera down and saw many gills and crappies suspended about 17' in 25'. Couldn't get them to commit to the hook easily though.

Offline southfork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #434 on: Dec 12, 2016, 04:38 PM »
It was still mostly open as of last SAturday night.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #435 on: Dec 12, 2016, 05:09 PM »
I know of guys that like fishing that lake. And, I use to fish it quite a bit, but never fell in love with it. Haven't fished it in five or six years, so perhaps things have changed.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #436 on: Dec 12, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Big Creek is like any other lake (or body of water) Those that fish it a lot, know it well, and know where to go, and when to go, and what to use. I grew up on that lake (and Saylorville too) as I lived in Madrid back in the day!  My advice would be if you are coming to the DM area and want to fish, and want to try Big Creek, just follow some of the crowds. Try Lost Lake area (the area above the spillway) or out in front of Williams Drive boat ramp area--or if you have people that you are coming to visit, see if they can get you onto private farm ponds--there is where your best bet would be for some nice panfish.

As mentioned, check with the Polk City baitshop as they may have some information on ice condtions, fishing report, etc.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #437 on: Dec 12, 2016, 07:50 PM »
I called the bait shop today, they said still some open spots. I would like to find a few spots to fish this year with my son. I do not think we have ever pulled a fish from the ice on this lake - just no luck

Offline Crawdad28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #438 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:32 PM »
I was out there yesterday, wasn't even capped yet, kicked a hole right through even where it was iced in the bay.
Do yourself a huge favor and do not waste a trip coming to fish Big Creek. It is one of the worst lakes in the state. It truly is the Dead Sea and I fish it often.
Waaaay better off hitting either Clear Lake up North or going farther south to like 12 mile and such.
Sure you might catch a  fish or maybe even get lucky and find a keeper walleye or two or some keeper crappie or a striper. But this is the exception. You really have to know the lake and how to fish it to have any sort of consistency out there. It's a joke in my family that when we go to Big Crek that to catch one of anything you did well.
I sent the pic of the descent walleye I caught this summer and his response was  " at big creek! Wow!," lol
Yeah sure there's a few guys that fish it hard and often that do "descent" but even descent on Big Creek is not very good.
Not trying to dis the lake, I love going there as its a very nice park"for Iowa" and they keep the lake up well, but I would feel bad to see anyone make any sort of fishing trip out of going there.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #439 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Big Creek would make my bottom 5 list for sure.....

Offline cbducks78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #440 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:03 PM »
Treaker 200,  pm me and I tell you locations where you can catch 30 walleyes in an average evening out.  Now, 95% of those fish will be 14.5" or just under leagal limit, but you will catch some to take home as well.  Great place to experiment with different lures for walleyes. 

Just have to know where to go, and believe me from experience there are some trophies in there. 

Offline Jseve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Stopped by the lake this morning before work, still a lot of open water to the north, all the way from the rock pier on the east side to the north had open pockets. If you drew a line from the handicap dock to the Williams boat ramp everything south of that line looked to be locked up.  I walked out about 15' off the east boat ramp looked pretty solid  ~3-4" seeing open water in the horizon I stayed close to shore, I will be bringing my auger with on Friday to drill out and will give a report then.  Just a heads up the ice off of ensign shelter was full of open water pockets as if it is freezing very unevenly I wouldn't trust the north part of the lake for at least another 4-5 days.

Offline bjohnson1102

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Treaker 200,  pm me and I tell you locations where you can catch 30 walleyes in an average evening out.  Now, 95% of those fish will be 14.5" or just under leagal limit, but you will catch some to take home as well.  Great place to experiment with different lures for walleyes. 

Just have to know where to go, and believe me from experience there are some trophies in there.

Hey cbducks78,

Long time follower of this forum, but never posted before.  In fact, just created my account so I could post this message to  you.  I tried creating a private message to send to you, but I wasn't allowed; not sure if it's because I'm a new user or what??

Anyway, recently moved to the DM area as well and Big Creek is close enough to me that I could get there reasonably quick.  I would love to take my son and catch some fish, but it sound really hit or miss.  At any rate, I would love if you would PM me some locations to get started on the lake.  Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #443 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Hey cbducks78,

Long time follower of this forum, but never posted before.  In fact, just created my account so I could post this message to  you.  I tried creating a private message to send to you, but I wasn't allowed; not sure if it's because I'm a new user or what??

Anyway, recently moved to the DM area as well and Big Creek is close enough to me that I could get there reasonably quick.  I would love to take my son and catch some fish, but it sound really hit or miss.  At any rate, I would love if you would PM me some locations to get started on the lake.  Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

You'll need a few more posts before the PM feature is available.

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #444 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:30 AM »
I don't have a kid, but I do have a dog. Does that qualify me for free ice fishing spots?

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #445 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:07 PM »
Has anyone been on the lake out from Williams Boat ramp or out from the handicap dock? Just wondering out ice thickness. Thanks!

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #446 on: Dec 23, 2016, 07:26 AM »
Ice was 6+ yesterday Dec 22 from don williams south a ways.

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #447 on: Dec 26, 2016, 11:23 AM »
I was out Friday evening and Saturday morning. Caught about 15 crappies from 9-11" and a few decent bluegills fishing structure on the main lake. Has anyone checked the ice there today? Ice was 6" Saturday morning. 

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #448 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:36 PM »
I checked today.  There were a few guys out fishing.  I used a spud bar and the ice is ok out from the west boat ramp.  There are a few leg sized holes that looked like air pockets that were really thin....not big enough for your whole body to go in but definitely a foot or leg.  The shore line was a little deteriorated but not bad enough to keep you off.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:14 PM »
gave it a chance tonight, tried Williams ramp. Lot's of guys out marked some fish but no takers. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I really want to try and catch some fish on this lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.