Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89341 times)

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #360 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I would go with their advice as well, unless you are really good and are looking for a challenge.

Offline Schmitty13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #361 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:33 PM »
What are you targeting? Walleye....Crappie...B luegill?

Looking for walleye or crappie

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Wouldnt Coralville be closer from Waterloo.  Heard good things about the lake. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #363 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Ok fished the Team Extreme event and expected a dead sea, far from it was good fishing. We didn't get into the crappies during the tourney but had our 8 gill limit in 20 minutes with almost a 9" average. Hammered the crappies pre fishing but only managed 3 for the tourney 1 nice one just shy of 12" and 2 others at 9 and 6" and still weighed in almost 7 pounds. Winners weighed in 8 gills 8 crappies at over 10 pounds and took big fish with a 1.1 pound gill....

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Ok fished the Team Extreme event and expected a dead sea, far from it was good fishing. We didn't get into the crappies during the tourney but had our 8 gill limit in 20 minutes with almost a 9" average. Hammered the crappies pre fishing but only managed 3 for the tourney 1 nice one just shy of 12" and 2 others at 9 and 6" and still weighed in almost 7 pounds. Winners weighed in 8 gills 8 crappies at over 10 pounds and took big fish with a 1.1 pound gill....

Yeah.....not sure everyone refers to as the 'dead sea'....I prefer to call it a 'finicky' lake....I can find the fish all the time, now getting them want to bite that's something else.....

Offline catmandude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Big creek has been producing quality fish these past two weeks. Went out today and got on some real nice gills and craps. One of the crappies was just under 13 inches. Have some pics of the last few outings. Not quite sure how to post them yet.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #366 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:05 PM »
Everytime I've been there the bite is tough you always have to grind them out but there's always quality fish there
Never to many short poles

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #367 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Caught my first keeper EYE this last weekend.  It was delicious!  Figuring the crappie out finally too..  Also, a 4.5# channel cat..  That was FUN!  =)

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Feb 19, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Anyone been by to seeing vehicles are on the ice this week with the warm weather. Going after work and hoping its still good to drive on to get the most time I can. Was back home this weekend and didn't get time to fish. Having some serious symptoms of withdrawal

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Feb 19, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I think driving might be off the menu because the edges will be getting week IMO

Offline DMPcope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #370 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Jumbo has a good point, but I would be more worried about the rain tonight taking a toll on the edges.. good news is we will be making ice again after the weekend.  That is if you believe any weatherman more than 3 days out.
Wishin' I Was Fishin'

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #371 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:49 PM »
The best thing about this rain is the fishing will be on fire :icefish: :icefish: :clap:

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #372 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:28 AM »
It was still fine to drive on. It hasn't started raining up here yet. Be interesting to see what the rest of the day will bring.

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Drove on it tonight.  There were a few other trucks out n about as well.  Got on at north boat ramp. It looked like it was pretty slushy the last few days, but all froze up tonight.  Marked fish everywhere we drilled, but ZERO takers.  Seemed like if you moved your bait at all they would take off.  They just would not chase at all..  kinda weird.

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:55 PM »
The fish get a little negative after the crazy weather we have been having

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #375 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I was out there yesterday from 5 until 8. Not many people out on the lake. Water looked a little brown but not as bad as a couple of other lakes I've been.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #376 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Did u catch anything or just the normal look at ya and swim away when u move it. Goin down tomorrow afternoon to see what's happening. Hope they are ready to bite by then.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #377 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Did u catch anything or just the normal look at ya and swim away when u move it. Goin down tomorrow afternoon to see what's happening. Hope they are ready to bite by then.

Yes pretty much what I experienced.  :'( On the first drop something came flying into check it out.....I thought "Man, its on..." then nothing

Offline whlfxr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:04 PM »
We were on Big Creek Sunday.  Took home 3 crappies 12" 12" 14".  Caught 1 small walleye 20 fow.  Slow and colder that H**L.  30" of good ice for drivinng though.

Offline mrtrebor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #379 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Just finished cleaning two 17 1/2 inch walleyes caught this evening. northern half of the lake near the tree piles in 26 fow.  drove four wheeler out, some snow drifts but several trucks out also... ice thickness 28 inches...also caught two smaller eyes but they were only 13 inches....minnows under bobber,  don't jig or the fish leave...good luck all

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #380 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:30 AM »
Yes pretty much what I experienced.  :'( On the first drop something came flying into check it out.....I thought "Man, its on..." then nothing

There's plenty of them in there. I had one really good outting there this year and I had to leave for a Xmas party. I did stay longer than i should have but wish I would've just stayed til they quit... I be down there sitting really still tonight try in not to scare them off.

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #381 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Drove by yesterday and it's about 30% ice covered in the narrow spots and in the coves.  Southeast cove had ice on it, about 2 inches next to shore, less farther out.  Curious if anyone did any good during open water on the brush piles they sunk up by the marina?

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #382 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Drove along the east side yesterday and it looked iced over as far as I could see. Did not check the thickness though.

Offline Crawdad28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #383 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Fished it today up to 5" in the bay.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #384 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:55 PM »
What bay u speaking of. Been seeing a lot of ice on the webcam

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #385 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:53 AM »
People were out on lost lake and the south east cove yesterday

Offline jlpaulsen87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #386 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Thinking about doing brushy Saturday and bc Sunday morn. Cause it's closer to home.  You guys think the ice will hold through this warm spell or no?

Offline CKennedy

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Creek
« Reply #387 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Has anyone been over to Big Creek yet? Just wondering on the ice conditions.
CK

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #388 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:57 AM »
I read there is 4 -5 inches of ice in certain places. I'm headed there today. Can report back later.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #389 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Good ice south of williams boat ramp. North side looked very sketchy. Marked only a few fish but we're aggressive biters. All in all tough day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.