Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89346 times)

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #330 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:32 AM »
any updates on the creek? Ice thickness? hows the bite? I was unable to get out this weekend due to deer slaying.

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #331 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Did i hear someone fell in?
Thought i saw something on WOI 5

Offline IceIowa1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #332 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:05 AM »
     I was out there from 1 until 5 yesterday along with a  million others.  There were as many people out there yesterday as I have seen in quite a while.  Probably around 25 to 30 shacks.  Pretty much all over the lake but a good chunk right out from Williams about 75 yards out sitting over the channel.  I drilled holes in about a 50 yard diameter around that spot and never saw less than 8 inches of good ice.  Fished anywhere from 35-38 feet of water, caught several nice crappie and missed on a couple other bites.  Brought home two decent Crapps for dinner.

Offline IceIowa1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #333 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Rip----Someone reportedly had one leg go through a hole up in the Lost Lake area at the top of Big Creek.  He was fine from the report I saw.  They said DNR was telling people to stay off of there because of the natural springs.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #334 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:01 AM »
Heard the guy broke his leg, but that's also second hand info from the Polk City bait facebook.

Offline FishinFFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #335 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Currently sitting on big creek..any help is greatly appreciated!  Thank you

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:25 AM »
if you want to try new area, go up north farther off of marina area...out in that area is a flat...find about 13-14ft of water...DNR put a lot of brush and rock piles out there and at times during winter they can be loaded with panfish-even walleyes/wipers...if you find them they will be in row running north/south along that depth with another row of them in 18ft of water (out further) kind of hard to tell you in message but if you have power auger, flasher (or even camera) you can find them..I'm guessing if you walk out from the marina area (about straight across (kind of westerly direction) lake out from shore about 200 yrds, you'll be in right area. I myself am heading out here in SW Iowa near Glenwood otherwise I'd join you! I'm from Madrid originally and grew up on that lake

Offline FishinFFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #337 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Thank you bert29 we will have to go and find that area

Offline southfork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #338 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:38 PM »
If you walk straight out from the marina, the rock piles and brush lie on a line that lines up with the rock jetti north of the marina with the rock jetti to the south and west side.

Offline FishinFFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #339 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:51 PM »
From the boat ramp off nw williams which way do we go for the marina?

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #340 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:07 PM »
The marina is on the other side of the lake and to the north of Williams Dr. boat ramp.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #341 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Heard the guy broke his leg, but that's also second hand info from the Polk City bait facebook.

Yes he did break his leg. It was Larry from polk city bait.

EDIT: sorry guys missunderstood jeremy while I was on the phone with him.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #342 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:18 PM »
I fished the area near the marina last year.  I was South of rock piles and in 17ft of water..  basically drilled and drilled and drilled, found the deepest channel running north and south..  we caught a few LMB, bluegills, crappie. A NICE perch,  few small walleye, and a 3lb channel cat all within a few hours!  It was my best day fishing there for sure! That's where I will be on my next outing.  Maybe this Saturday.   

This year has been less then stellar for me there though.  4 trips, and only 2 gills to show..  anyone else doing any good this year?

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #343 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Last year it used to be good off of Williams ramp not fast action but always nice quality fish
Never to many short poles

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big creek?
« Reply #344 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Any reports on the night bite .
Hard charger !

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big creek?
« Reply #345 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:08 PM »
I have been targeting walleyes lately since I felt the weather has shut the panfish bite off.  I think the bite will pick back up by the weekend with the weather normalizing a little bit.  We will see.

Walleye were still pretty aggressive from 4:30 until 7.  They thinned out at about 6 but were still aggressive when they did come through.

Offline FISH.FILLET

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #346 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Where have the walleye been biting? Location on big creek, fow, and what to use for bait? If you don't mind

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #347 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Where have the walleye been biting? Location on big creek, fow, and what to use for bait? If you don't mind

Are you serious??

Offline FISH.FILLET

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:50 PM »

Are you serious??

Yes. I have not been on big creek. Is it ok that I ask

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Yes. I have not been on big creek. Is it ok that I ask

That's a bit over the top. Asking a fellow fisherman where to fish and what to use for bait. Its pretty poor manners. I am not scolding you, just giving you a heads up for future reference.  Its like asking another guy for his girlfriends phone number. But girlfriends are easier to come by than fishing spots. Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Jan 09, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I don't mind giving out what I was using and depth.  Location is probably a little bit more sacred to me.

I have been using a small, silver, Johnston Thinfisher in 15-20 ft of water.  A silver and green Clam Psycho Shad has had some decent results as well.  There has been sorting but I typically can pick up at least 2 keepers when I go out although I have never kept a walleye out of Big Creek.  Occasionally you can get into a real nice one but don't expect it.

Typically feeding times for best bit although I have found mornings to be slightly better.

Offline FISH.FILLET

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #351 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Thanks. If you didn't want to post any of that I would understand. I have never caught a walleye through the ice so I was curious. Bait I was asking more like minnow or wax. You gave more detail which I appreciate.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #352 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Iowa anglers from ia sportsman im assuming ::)

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #353 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Anybody going this weekend?

Offline Schmitty13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #354 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Anyone wanna help me out n let me know what times the bite is best?  Completely new to the area and don't really wanna spend a full 12 hours on the ice to find out haha

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Anyone wanna help me out n let me know what times the bite is best?  Completely new to the area and don't really wanna spend a full 12 hours on the ice to find out haha

What are you targeting? Walleye....Crappie...B luegill?

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #356 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Waterloo area gonna come down next week looking to find some crappies and gills.... any help would be great

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #357 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Waterloo area gonna come down next week looking to find some crappies and gills.... any help would be great
Bypass Big Creek and head over to Brushy Creek.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I agree with Anderson_DC.  Big Creek is great but it is so hot and cold.  Even if you know the lake it can even be tough.  I feel like Brushy is easier to get on fish and it's about an hour closer to you.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I can't disagree with those two guys....I mainly hit Big Creek because its in my 'backyard'.

Bluegills have been okay for me when I find them. I've really had to move around the brush piles to find them though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.