Author Topic: Pre-Rig plastics?  (Read 417 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Pre-Rig plastics?
« on: Jan 31, 2024, 10:26 PM »
Along the line of lure mods… Anybody pre-rig some plastics to have in their jig box? I have a few clam maki’s on clam drop jig xl’s.  A couple northland blood worms on gold tungsten jigs. Also a couple tungsten jigs with silkies.  Pre-rig so I can use a drop of super glue so they stay in place. What do others do?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Pre-Rig plastics?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:24 PM »
...because cold fingers that are stiff and twitching don't do a very good job when need to.  Especially with micro plastics and micro jigs.  Sometimes I want the same plastic, but on different weight jigs.  For example, Northland bloodworms on some 1/16th oz. jigs and some 1/32nd oz. jigs.  Sometimes 1/8th oz. jig in river current.  Some glow jig heads, some metallic, and some just dark matted colors.

If one wants to get really specialized, copy that hair rig for carp fishing.  Well sort of. but pre-rigging them tiny plastic teasers is where it's at. 

Before the wide scale availability of micro plastics.  I used to take some tentacles from large tub plastics and snip them.  Or even cut into the tube to get a two tentacle teaser trailer.  Have to do that at home, so much easer.  And even those plastic worms, cutting them with a hobby knife into half or quarter.  It's like 6th grade science dissection class.  Curly tail grubs, cut them down to size of just mostly the tail section.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2024, 12:43 PM »
Use to do that and stopped.  Hate rusted hooks and leaving plastics pre-rigged created a rustier situation for me.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2024, 02:18 PM »
Put a gulp minnow head on a vmc bladed treble that I put on a PK spoon that is glow red dot. Can’t wait to try that!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2024, 02:30 AM »
Use to do that and stopped.  Hate rusted hooks and leaving plastics pre-rigged created a rustier situation for me.

I found that the bronze hooks are the ones that usually rusts.  So I choose the lures with gold or silver hooks.  Black nickel hooks seems to do pretty good too.  The best ones are the ones made for salt water, those greyish galvanized looking ones.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.