Author Topic: Cheapskate spud  (Read 837 times)

Offline Moe_Szyslak

• IceShanty Rookie
Cheapskate spud
« on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:48 PM »
For the past few years I’ve been using what I would call a crow bar or maybe a demo bar for spudding. It’s about 3.5 to 4 feet long with the u-shaped curve on one end and the straightish lever/chisel end on the other. Probably weighs 6 or 8 pounds. I figured it wasn’t rocket science, I would hold it vertically by the curved end and slam the straight end down.

Recent posts about spudding in general and the brothers that went through here in New York are making me rethink. Hoping to take the kids out tomorrow, reports that I can find are kinda borderline I guess. My wife will be pretty bummed if I don’t bring the kids back home with me.

I was thinking mostly about the advice to keep the blade sharp which I certainly haven’t followed. Was thinking about just grinding the chisel end on the bench grinder. I’m sure the best advice would be to just get a real tool meant for the job. My only concern there is fitting it in the three row suv without folding all the seats down.

Anyway, I appreciate any advice you guys might have.

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cheapskate spud
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2024, 02:21 PM »
You can buy a two piece on that will fit in a sled when taken apart.
That's what I use because a one piece is just too long.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2024, 02:27 PM »
I've seen those too, for not much more cost than a decent crowbar/demo bar. Probably worth the investment, given the stakes. Not exactly expensive anyway
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Moe_Szyslak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2024, 02:45 PM »
I was worried the two piece would be on the flimsy side, but sounds like it works pretty well for you?
I can’t find one locally that could have in time for tomorrow but I will probably order one for future use.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2024, 03:01 PM »
I would think a one piece would slide in under the seats. Shouldn't have to fold down. Really doesn't take up hardly any space. Never liked the 2 piece ones, they vibrate weird in my hand when I bang 'em down.

Any straight spud oughta have a wrist strap on it. Yes, I've lost one and seen countless others go through over the years. Bangin' away, got gloves or mitts, maybe a little slippery, ah it'll be OK... Zoooop! down the hole. Sharpening ain't rocket science, don't hafta shave with it. Bump it up on yer bench grinder is fine.

Gotta say, I've seen lots of unusual tools and techniques on the ice over the years but never anyone using a crow bar for a spud. I'm sure it works though working bent over is not my idea of an efficient method.

Good on you takin' the kids. Set 'em up for success and you'll have ice fishing pals forever. My girls were never interested but my boy is an animal. He's now 40 with a fam of his own and he takes all three at once. Lotsa work but they love it and the boys are on the verge of taking care of their own stuff. The youngest, a girl, loves it when she outfishes her brothers.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline myemmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2024, 04:32 PM »
Simple Home Depot 2 or 3 lengths of 3/4 pipe a tee , 1/2 couplings and a 3/4 wide mason chisel slide chisel in have a shop weld it set for life different lengths of pipe to fit your size 😃

Offline Moe_Szyslak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2024, 04:52 PM »
Esox you are not wrong about the ergonomics, it’s a huge pain in the butt to use.
I’ve actually never fished on the ice without my kids. I didn’t grow up doing it so we are learning together, which I’ll admit is not the quickest path to success. They’re starting to get old enough that they’ll become more independent in the next few years, probably will end up out fishing me too.

Myemmy I do like that idea, I may go that route eventually. Might see how the cheap two piece one works first.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Fingers crossed for safe ice.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2024, 05:41 PM »
Yeah I have a piece of iron pipe with a solid round pressed into one end ground to a chisel point, weld it if needed. Drill a hole for a strap on the other end and wrap an insulating grip with whatever you have on hand. Try not to get to heavy, mine weighs 4 lbs. You will use it more if it's not too cumbersome. And it will blow through crap ice!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2024, 07:35 PM »
They all work well when you keep them sharp and keep a tether on them. Something else to think about:  I take a piece of rubber hose about 3" long, swash it flat and push it on over the sharp blade for transport. You just have to come up with the right size hose for your chisel. That will prevent any accidents, protect your vehicle carpet, as well as the blade itself

Offline davesfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2024, 01:04 AM »
I use basically the same bar, demolition bar. Whatever works best for you. Always think about your safety.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:04 AM »
You can buy a two piece on that will fit in a sled when taken apart.
That's what I use because a one piece is just too long.
Thank the spud bar that saves your LIFE. Long or short doesn’t matter.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2024, 09:54 AM »
I have one of the two piece spud bars and I really like using it to chip out my tip ups. For walking I prefer a wood handled chipper with a metal end. weighs less so I keep it in my hand and spud every other step early season.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Moe_Szyslak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2024, 07:56 PM »
Glad to head there is another member of team demo bar!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.