Author Topic: Pistol bit/hand auger blade help  (Read 1145 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pistol bit/hand auger blade help
« on: Jan 19, 2024, 06:49 PM »
I changed the blades on my pistol bit today, took it out to the lake, and it just spun. I can’t for the life of me figure out why, take a look at this picture and tell me if these blades are installed right or if they’re upside down. I looked at the Internet and looked at pictures of new pistol bits and it sure looks like they’re on right

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pistol bit blade help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2024, 06:52 PM »
It looks like they're on there correctly...they are brand new?  Do they feel sharp?
-Matt

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pistol bit/hand auger blade help
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:11 PM »
Those look to be on there correctly but did you move the centering point?  When I was playing around with putting a point on a Mora it had to be on there straight between the blades to cut, if it turned to the side like yours is it wouldn't cut.  I think if it's not oriented correctly it prevents the inner corner of the blade from grabbing the ice.  No guarantee this will help you but it may. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:14 PM »
Thanks guys I’ll try that centering point but I’m not sure how it can move. Easy enough to go check. Thank you.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:21 PM »
Looks to me like center point slid down some.how
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:23 PM »
Was the  cordless drill turning clock wise ? Was your auger unit one of the ones caught up in the blade debacle from 2 yrs ago ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:25 PM »
It looks like the problem is written in bold on that sticker.
-Tom

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:25 PM »
Thanks guys I’ll try that centering point but I’m not sure how it can move. Easy enough to go check. Thank you.

I guess if all else fail switch back to your old blades and see if they will cut.  If they do then we'll know it's the new blades and not another issue with the auger itself. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:27 PM »
Looks to me like center point slid down some.how

You may be onto something

screenshot app
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:38 PM »
I’ll try the new blades in the morning. I have a friend right next to me with an auger so I’ll be OK if it doesn’t work. I just went out and tried to move that centering point and I just don’t see how it can move. I think that Eskimo stock picture That you’ve got on their HD is a little bit deceiving because of the angle it’s at. If it doesn’t work with a new blades, I’ll try taking that point completely out and re-orienting it but I just don’t see how it could slip sideways. could be though thanks guys.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:49 PM »
I’ll try the new blades in the morning. I have a friend right next to me with an auger so I’ll be OK if it doesn’t work. I just went out and tried to move that centering point and I just don’t see how it can move. I think that Eskimo stock picture That you’ve got on their HD is a little bit deceiving because of the angle it’s at. If it doesn’t work with a new blades, I’ll try taking that point completely out and re-orienting it but I just don’t see how it could slip sideways. could be though thanks guys.

Yea that was just a suggestion off the top of my head. I tried to find a decent stock photo of them and there's one on the Eskimo site that the point looks just how yours is so that's probably how it's supposed to be.  I thought that was a simple screw in setup and it may have worked loose but it seems that's not the case. 

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:52 PM »
RapShack, do you think the point should be parallel to the edges of the two blades? Hard to tell with the angle the stock picture was taken at. So it would be similar to a set of 3 wheeler tracks in the snow🙂. Weird way to explain it but that’s the only thing I could think of. If any of you have a chance to take a picture directly down onto your blades, that would help, and it’s no emergency because like I say, I have an extra auger to work with tomorrow.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:54 PM »
Our messages crossed each other. But I’m on the same page with you.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2024, 08:01 PM »
hawg I believe that center point is held in place with the bolt that holds the bottom composite piece to the aluminum hex frame.

Where did you get the blades ?

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2024, 08:34 PM »
The place in Brainerd that sells Ice Forts. They were Eskimo RB8 blades. I don’t think they sell a lot of things like blades, so I will call Eskimo on Monday, give them the serial number, and just see if there’s any chance those are part of those older bad ones. But that’s only if the new pair on there now cuts. The centering point is in there very solidly, I’m not really sure it could move.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2024, 08:40 PM »
Come to think of it the ones I just put on now are the ones that came from ice forts. When I got that pistol bit and it was at the time that they were having problems with blades, I bought an extra set of blades, and I can’t remember where, but they were real Eskimo blades, so there is a chance that they could’ve been shipped in packages, just as much as they could’ve been shipped with those augers. Shawn at Ardisam will know. The originals lasted all this time with lots and lots of use. But after having a strikemaster with lazer blades on it, I never went anywhere without an extra set of blades.

Offline electrofisher1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2024, 09:51 PM »
Thanks

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2024, 09:08 AM »
Come to think of it the ones I just put on now are the ones that came from ice forts. When I got that pistol bit and it was at the time that they were having problems with blades, I bought an extra set of blades, and I can’t remember where, but they were real Eskimo blades, so there is a chance that they could’ve been shipped in packages, just as much as they could’ve been shipped with those augers. Shawn at Ardisam will know. The originals lasted all this time with lots and lots of use. But after having a strikemaster with lazer blades on it, I never went anywhere without an extra set of blades.

If I recall correctly ...the replacement blades that Eskimo put into the pistol bit box to fix the debacle were shipped in plain clear plastic package/case w/o and branding whatsoever . Even the package my buddy got from ION with blade issues was plain as well . hawg are you sure you didnt already swap out the blades with the free good blades ?and the blades you just put on were the bad  blades with issues ? And your Ice Fort blades are still squirelled away somewhere ?

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:41 PM »
My pistol bit didn’t have extra blades and lasted till now, and they still cut ok. I bought the drill almost as soon as they came out, it was the next year that they had the blade problems. I’m not 100% sure on that though but I did buy those blades during the blade problem times, so there’s an outside chance they were some of the bad ones but like I say, Shawn at Artiisam will know for sure monday. It’s not a big deal and way past the time that I would ever try to return them.  The blades from ice forts I put on last night. They cut lightning fast so I’m sure I got bad blades. The more I think about it the more I think I might’ve got them at Scheels, but regardless, I’m back in business and appreciate all of you guys help. I have to say I sure felt stupid when that drill just spun on top of the ice and I may have put them on upside down.🤷

Offline butch3151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2024, 02:46 PM »
Pretty sure the blades need to be reversed so the sharp cutting edge is toward the ice. The way you have them the dull edge is what's in contact wit the ice . Probably won't cut squat

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2024, 05:56 PM »
Butch, I just got a set of bad blades when I put the new ones on today it went through ice like butter. They’re on correctly.

Offline butch3151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:16 AM »
Glad to hear you got it cutting . Good Luck

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:32 PM »
This is just a heads up. But in a pinch, like say of you cannot find the Eskimo blades or whatever...you can use the Mora hand auger blades, they fit perfect.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:42 AM »
I’ve always wanted to try mora blades, but never wanted to risk the $30-$40 and have them not work. Eskimo blades are easy to find so that’s not an issue, but I thought, and I’m not sure by any means, that all mora blades are still made in Sweden. Is that right?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:42 AM »
I’ve always wanted to try mora blades, but never wanted to risk the $30-$40 and have them not work. Eskimo blades are easy to find so that’s not an issue, but I thought, and I’m not sure by any means, that all mora blades are still made in Sweden. Is that right?

Most of what is out there are the Sweden blades...could be some NOS blades still floating around that suck. Eskimo has responded to an inquiry and they told me that the Eskimo hand blades are stainless steel  ...I see now that they list it in the product description ...I believe that originally they were not ...hence my inquiry

https://geteskimo.com/products/rb8-blade-repl-8-inch-hand-auger

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2024, 11:27 AM »
HD, when I called Eskimo they told me they were stainless steel from “Asian” countries. Mora says theirs are hard alloy carbon steel. I guess unless we knew the hardness we couldn’t know which is better. I thought it was funny that the guy at Eskimo was really sidestepping the word “China”☺️

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2024, 11:52 AM »
HD, when I called Eskimo they told me they were stainless steel from “Asian” countries. Mora says theirs are hard alloy carbon steel. I guess unless we knew the hardness we couldn’t know which is better. I thought it was funny that the guy at Eskimo was really sidestepping the word “China”☺️

Ah another piece of the puzzle.. so Mora blades would be go to should I need blades . Just my preference .

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:43 PM »
Chinese "Mora" blades seem to be common. I bought a set from Bass Pro a couple of years ago thinking I was getting the genuine article. I have not used them much but they cut Ok, but I understand that they lose their edge quickly because the steel is a softer than the real Mora ones.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:03 PM »
I still don’t know if they are a direct replacement or not. For every person that says yes, another says no. But if the Mora’s aren’t Swedish I’m staying with Eskimo.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2024, 04:30 PM »
I still don’t know if they are a direct replacement or not. For every person that says yes, another says no. But if the Mora’s aren’t Swedish I’m staying with Eskimo.

I wrecked my original Eskimo blades on a rock and replaced them with a pair of Swedish-made Mora blades.  Cuts as good as new.  I was able to grind and re-sharpen the originals and keep them on hand as a back-up.

-Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.