Author Topic: Ice House Rental and Location Recommendations  (Read 903 times)

Offline shields_frank

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice House Rental and Location Recommendations
« on: Jan 09, 2024, 04:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for recommendations on Ice House rentals that are private for two people. My wife and I decided to have our honeymoon fishing on a frozen lake somewhere. I’m wondering if you can point me in the direction of an unforgettable experience. We are experienced and live in Northwest Pennsylvania but haven’t gotten much ice recently. Please share some ideas with us! Thank you all.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice House Rental and Location Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 07:39 AM »
Honestly, with the way this season is setting up, I would look north, like way north.  Canada- Simcoe, Nippissing, although hut operators arent even set up there yet.  Not sure if Lake Champlain has overnight huts, sure someone from out there can chime in. Hope your anniversary is in mid-February!!!! Good luck.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 07:52 AM »
Are you looking to stay on the ice in a luxury ice hut/camper type setup?  Or more to fish for the day in a basic hut and stay in accomodations off of the ice?  How far are you willing to drive?  When are you looking to go?  We should be able to help narrow down some options for ya.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2024, 10:22 AM »
Some hut operators putting out shacks on Nip.  8 inches in chalander bay.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2024, 12:16 PM »
I booked a 2-man sleeper shack for a buddy and myself on Lake Nipissing in Ontario, Canada for 3 nights/4 days over presidents week in February. Cost is $75/person/day, so $450 for the 3 nights. I don't remember the check in and check out times, but it's similar to a hotel(ex: check in at 2pm check out by 10am). The place we went with has a tv and dvd player for something to do at night. It includes everything for your stay except for personal gear/food.

this is my second sleeper trip to Nipissing, with the first being 18 years or so ago. If you PM me, I can give you the name of the place we are using and of the other place we found that we never ended up needing to call. They had a higher per-night cost, but included a free day for mid-week trips that check in on mondays. the cost would have been ~$400 but didn't have the tv, so we figured the extra $50 was worth it.

If you happen to book at the same time, we could get together for drinks and some fishing.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline shields_frank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:55 PM »
RStock521

I am open to whatever distance is needed, we are likely going to fly so I would need gear included.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:35 PM »
You could check out some of the resorts on Lake of the Woods out of Baudette MN. They rent overnight ice shacks.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:44 AM »
I’ve rented lakefront cottages in the past.  Not the same as staying on the ice, but the creature comforts are much better for you and your bride.  A lot roomier, too. And because it’s winter, the rates are usually very cheap. 

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2024, 12:00 PM »
I’ve rented lakefront cottages in the past.  Not the same as staying on the ice, but the creature comforts are much better for you and your bride.  A lot roomier, too. And because it’s winter, the rates are usually very cheap.

Some of that will depend on if Frank has ice transportation or not and how far he is willing to walk if he doesn't. I'm originally from PA and never had a wheeler/snowmobile since we couldn't use them in PA. Now that I'm in NY, I've been looking for a snowmobile to get out on some of the bigger lakes.

and since he is looking to fly to the lake, he won't be bringing any transportation.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2024, 03:28 PM »
Some of that will depend on if Frank has ice transportation or not and how far he is willing to walk if he doesn't. I'm originally from PA and never had a wheeler/snowmobile since we couldn't use them in PA. Now that I'm in NY, I've been looking for a snowmobile to get out on some of the bigger lakes.

and since he is looking to fly to the lake, he won't be bringing any transportation.
I hear you, but the way this winter is going I don’t know if he’s going to get out on a lake in a machine unless things change. Might have to opt for a smaller lake and walk onto the ice after this upcoming cold spell.  Or go really far north.

Offline shields_frank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:42 AM »
It looks like I am going to try and schedule something for the first week of March. Will that have any effect on what lake has enough ice? I would assume everything would be locked up by then?

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2024, 07:34 AM »
My understanding is that sleeper shacks have to be removed from the ice by March 15th in Ontario. The lakes that have sleeper shacks and day huts will probably still be out fishing during the first week, but who really can tell with the weather we've had so far.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2024, 09:16 PM »
Jeff's ice-o-miniums

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.