Author Topic: Anyone using Si Flies Simcoe Bugs? All the rage up in northern MN  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi all,

My wife belongs to a Facebook ice fishing forum and showed me a thread on Si Flies Simcoe Bugs.  People were raving about their success with them.  I am a sucker for a new wonder lure like anyone else, but holy crap, are they pricey.  Anyone using them here?  https://simcoebug.com/

Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There is absolutely no reason for these to be so pricey.  That is literally a hook, bead, thread, scud back material, and UV resin.  You could tie them in 5 minutes too so there isn't a lot of labor involved.  If these work then I need to get to the vise.
westernmas on the finder

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think they have a great marketing team

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
There is absolutely no reason for these to be so pricey.  That is literally a hook, bead, thread, scud back material, and UV resin.  You could tie them in 5 minutes too so there isn't a lot of labor involved.  If these work then I need to get to the vise.

Um, scud what?  I guess for those us of that don't make our own lures, that answers why they are so pricey!
Timmer

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Wait till they try these old skool lures.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Smat64

• IceShanty Rookie
They worked for me in clear water further north but haven't got them to work around home in merky water or just different natural bait to compare too?

Fish On! zzzzzzzz

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Yup.  Maybe they could sponsor here with prices like that.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Um, scud what?  I guess for those us of that don't make our own lures, that answers why they are so pricey!

Scud backing material. Essentially a thin narrow strip of latex or other similar material. These jigs are stupid simple to tie and are expensive for not being tungsten (I don’t see it saying otherwise anywhere) although they are hand made in small quantities and not mass produced for extremely cheap. However, a guy could make his own a lot cheaper. Looks to be just a scud hook, an oversized lead bead, latex/silicone strips, and a UV finish. A regular finish would work just fine to save expenses. Get a cheap $20 vise, thread and thread bobbin, and tie to your hearts content. Personally, I’d use tungsten beads. This would actually be a fun beginners project if one wanted to get into tying.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
$10+ for a jig head is absurd. The 5 pack is $65. Ridiculous!

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kenders akua series is very similar made in with tungsten little cheaper.  I do like the some of simcoes colors but ouch and not tungsten

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
Their Wonderbread jigs are pricey, but everything else is comparable to what you would get at a store. Looks like they do have some tungsten offerings.
YouTube - Wissota Fishing

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
These jigs are stupid simple to tie and are expensive for not being tungsten (I don’t see it saying otherwise anywhere)

I do like the some of simcoes colors but ouch and not tungsten

It looks like in the title header for each of their products lines it says they are tungsten.  Still super expensive nonetheless.
Timmer

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As I understand it, they started out being used for perch on Simcoe.  I made an inquiry so their FB page keeps popping up on mine. I have seen a lot of posts where people are using them for float fishing on the rivers for rainbows and bows, so that is prob their target market for some (most) of the year. My fishing bud swears by them because he caught his PB laker on one. He had a minnow on as well, so who knows? He has also caught a few more smaller lakers. My inquiry was asking about what they are supossed to be imitating because I was thinking of using  it on open water. I didn't get a response!! So that was a turnoff!

I have an acquaintance who makes and sells a similar product( a 1 man operation). I think they are cheaper. 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
100%. For $30 someone could get hooks, beads, thread and latex and crank out 25 of those lil things, no problem. Guess I'll add that to my tying list!  ;D

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
i just looked them up, look good, wont pay that price :-\
retired let the fishing begin

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yup.  Maybe they could sponsor here with prices like that.

I might have to get to the vise and give them some competition.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE

Get to the vise, easy to make and if your get the right material (bracelet) for the body, you can get em to glow!

SUPER EASY TO TIE UP!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
you guys make them , tell us, so we can buy from you guys  ;D ;D
retired let the fishing begin

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
I reckon a guy could simply buy scuds from fly shops for significantly cheaper. Many, however, are tied for streams so they won't be as heavy. A drop-shot rig with a scud could be killer. Also, for those who are unaware, a scud is a type of freshwater shrimp and are prevalent in tail-waters below dams.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I reckon a guy could simply buy scuds from fly shops for significantly cheaper. Many, however, are tied for streams so they won't be as heavy. A drop-shot rig with a scud could be killer. Also, for those who are unaware, a scud is a type of freshwater shrimp and are prevalent in tail-waters below dams.

Shoot we must have all the aristocrats here, anything in a "Fly Shop" round here costs WAAAAY more. 
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If I make them I'll need to charge $9 so I can cover the ones I give away to Facebook influencers so they'll make a Facebook post so that I can sell more  ;D If I get enough "prostaff" maybe someone will be able to make a thread about my flys  ;D

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shoot we must have all the aristocrats here, anything in a "Fly Shop" round here costs WAAAAY more

No doubt, certain things like streamers are way overpriced. But simpler patterns tend to be more affordable. Grizzly Hackle in Missoula, for instance, sells a six pack of scuds for $18...$3 a fly is still cheaper than the jigs we're discussing. And I'm faaaar from an aristocrat, unless teachers suddenly jumped to the top of the socio-economic ladder  :roflmao:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I might have to get to the vise and give them some competition.

Ill buy some or come over burn one and tie 4000 of them.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
If you have the time, material, and simple tools, you can tie them cheaper. If you want to jump on the bandwagon and buy they can ask a price and if you want to buy do so. I am a fly tyer and I buy very few if any baits. The demand will decide the price and it may go up or down.

This is just a quick fly and it is hard to show the ribbing since I used 2mm rib material. Just stating that the person tying or company is not subject to what you need just what you want and are prepared to pay for it. I do my own since I am looking into a hobby for myself and what I can do, what I can build and what I can catch. If I add up what is invested into my hobby and or passion $10.00 a bug is not all that bad. Just my 2cents since I know that my hobby cost me more than I could hope to save.

I think they have a great marketing team
This I do agree with.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you have the time, material, and simple tools, you can tie them cheaper. If you want to jump on the bandwagon and buy they can ask a price and if you want to buy do so. I am a fly tyer and I buy very few if any baits. The demand will decide the price and it may go up or down.

This is just a quick fly and it is hard to show the ribbing since I used 2mm rib material. Just stating that the person tying or company is not subject to what you need just what you want and are prepared to pay for it. I do my own since I am looking into a hobby for myself and what I can do, what I can build and what I can catch. If I add up what is invested into my hobby and or passion $10.00 a bug is not all that bad. Just my 2cents since I know that my hobby cost me more than I could hope to save.

This I do agree with.

Resin looks good! Such a clean look why type do you use?

Jean Cocteau

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So what does everybody catch on those bugs?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
No one will even remember the name a year from now!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
$10+ for a jig head is absurd. The 5 pack is $65. Ridiculous!

I make my own for a lot cheaper scud is what they call them in fly tieing  world look them up on you tube 10.00 is way to much I'm in the wrong business I can make 30 for ten bucks and they would have tungsten beads. You guys must have money to give away.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
No one will even remember the name a year from now!

So true.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So what does everybody catch on those bugs?

Fisherman  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.