Author Topic: Helix 5 or 7  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Helix 5 or 7
« on: Jun 16, 2021, 06:41 AM »
My old gray scale fish finder gps chart plotter took a crap this summer and I need something to replace it. I'd like to use it in the boat as well as on the ice. I hear and read nice things about the Helix FF's, and finding out that there are about a dozen different models, some with DI, some with SI, some with DI and SI, some with neither. Ice models with bells and whistles also. All of this is confusing. I want to fish, and know what's below me whether it's in the boat or on the ice. Can all these models be used on the boat and on the ice? Tell me what you like, My fishing is for walleye and perch, water 25ft and less, in a shanty, and in my boat. Thanks.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Helix 5 or 7
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2021, 07:00 AM »
The trend is to bigger, more detail.  I bought a 9" Garmin 3 years ago for ice fishing, it can be used either portable, or mounted in the boat. If you can afford/justify it, I think you would appreciate a larger than 5" screen when you make the move and no matter what, you will like having color.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Uncle Al,
If you can go with the Helix 7.... The screen will be better to read, but I really had to squeeze it into a pack for the ice.  You will just need to add the appropriate ice transducer  (XI 9 20 is Gen1 Trans, XI 9 1521 is Gen2 & 3). 
Down and Side Imaging are for the open water and is a preference which you should probably get if you use it from boat, but on the ice, those settings aren't used.

I bought the Flambeau Outdoors R50BK-1 "IKE" Ritual 50 Backpack off Amazon to put the Helix 7 in during the winter.  It fits perfectly, plus have extra storage to put other things in there.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Uncle Al,
If you can go with the Helix 7.... The screen will be better to read, but I really had to squeeze it into a pack for the ice.  You will just need to add the appropriate ice transducer  (XI 9 20 is Gen1 Trans, XI 9 1521 is Gen2 & 3). 
Down and Side Imaging are for the open water and is a preference which you should probably get if you use it from boat, but on the ice, those settings aren't used.

I bought the Flambeau Outdoors R50BK-1 "IKE" Ritual 50 Backpack off Amazon to put the Helix 7 in during the winter.  It fits perfectly, plus have extra storage to put other things in there.

He has it right; SI and DI won't be used on the ice but you will want the biggest screen you can afford for those options on open water, especially SI.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2021, 07:33 PM »
I bought the All Season Helix 5 last year and used it on the ice.  The smaller screen was ok, and the smaller size pack does fit inside a 5 gallon bucket.  The 7 would not.  I liked that extra protection for the unit.
I have now used it in the boat this past weekend and now I can say I do miss the 7 screen size.  It works, but it is a little too small for boat use.  Funny too, because that screen is 2X the size of the one I replaced.
Based on this, I would balance it as follows - if your primary use is on the ice, then the 5 will be sufficient.  If you plan to use it as much or more on soft water, spring for the 7 and find a way to protect it while transporting on the ice.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2021, 08:29 PM »
i'd go for the 7 if it's in the budget and not chance regretting the purchase later on.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2021, 05:19 AM »
Just a heads up-make sure you get the one with "N".  Stands for network and you need it if you ever want to get the 360.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.