Author Topic: Designing and Building my First Ice Shack  (Read 3718 times)

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Designing and Building my First Ice Shack
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 02:03 AM »
This is my first post on the forums here so I wanted to first say hello to everyone o/ and thanks for taking the  time to read my Ice Shack thread.

My SO loves to fish but we don't have an ice shack. I've been thinking about building one but didn't have a clue of where to start. I'm quite technically skilled, and have a general sense of what I'm doing, but I had no idea where to start. I needed ideas. Somehow I ended up on this site and went through some pretty old posts dating back to 2012. Threads by AdverseCity and burty12 especially got my attention, and made me think about how I would fashion my design. I don't own a trailer, so that was out of the question.

I ended up settling on a truck box style 4x10 shack. Main framing is 2x4s with 2x2s acting as general support. 2'x4' stove section with 6.25" opening to give room for flashing

After a lot of research I came up with the best wall extension size of 25 1/2" seat height (from sub-floor), and a depth  of 23 1/2". A 6.25" opening for stove pipe and flashing inserts. Wrapped in 1/2" PWF Plywood. 24" spring-close door. Bench storage with horizontally located covers on both sides. 6" shelving higher up. Typical metal gable style roof. 

I'm still in the design phase using Fusion 360 to map out all the measurements so that I don't have to second guess myself when the construction begins. I'm going to document my building adventure here for you all to see. I'd love to get some constructive criticism on my work as I post if I'm doing anything that normally wouldn't work in a shack.

This is what I have designed so far. I'm going to continue figuring out the gable roof tomorrow. As far as the windows go...I know they're too small. I'm going to adjust the design to have 10" windows in the back, and front.

I already have the pressure treated lumber for the base (building that tomorrow), and the sliders are on order from Newfoundland so they'll be a while before they get to me.

Updates to follow...

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Designing and Building my First Ice Shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:03 PM »
I like the separated section for the stove. Looking forward to updates.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:14 PM »
Looks like a solid plan, can always make changes as needed while building it.

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:30 PM »
Looks like a solid plan, can always make changes as needed while building it.

Thanks! I usually make furniture and home decore, but I wanted to give a serious attempt with the carpentry skills I've built on over the years.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Well having a plan is a great start, I got a notebook full of scribbled plans for things I've done, makes starting much easier.

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:32 PM »
Well having a plan is a great start, I got a notebook full of scribbled plans for things I've done, makes starting much easier.

Yeah absolutely. I sketch all the furniture I make so that I can just go to my book and make it again without having to figure everything out again. I also keep a log of wood prices so I know how much it'll cost. Even with increases in wood prices it still gives me a good idea.

Have you ever used or know someone who has used those 12" catch covers from cabelas? I was gonna put 4 of those in. $32 each isn't so bad if they're gonna last a long time.

I've seen other guys put a trailer winch on the back of the shack to reel it in to the truck, and was going to do that with mine. Only design flaw I've noticed with their builds is that they didn't build a "track" or the rear end which just damages the shack and creates so much unnecessary friction; I was thinking of engineering a nice belt system for it so that it can be easily cranked into the truck with as little effort as possible.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:25 AM »
Looks like you're off to a good start.  I would recommend gluing and screwing each lumber connection along with adding diagonal bracing in your corners.  This method really improves the rigidity and will help you when your moving the shanty on the ice or in and out of your truck.  Nice bumpout for the stove.  I like to put the stove down low with a shelf above for a cook stove.  It forces the heat out into the room rather than straight up.  Good luck with the build.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:44 AM »
Have you ever used or know someone who has used those 12" catch covers from cabelas? I was gonna put 4 of those in. $32 each isn't so bad if they're gonna last a long time.

I have Catch Cover brand covers in my shacks, there is no concerns in their longevity.  I was curious about the cover price from Cabelas Canada, so opened up their site, but did not see the regular round catch covers listed, only the safety covers (I know they did have the round covers available back in the fall) so they may be sold out.

You mentioned ordering sliders, what are you getting?

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:02 PM »

Hauled it out of the basement shop today and build put on the floor, cut the catch holes (made them 11")

I have Catch Cover brand covers in my shacks, there is no concerns in their longevity.  I was curious about the cover price from Cabelas Canada, so opened up their site, but did not see the regular round catch covers listed, only the safety covers (I know they did have the round covers available back in the fall) so they may be sold out.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/84019/catch-cover-square-hole-cover is what I was talking about. Unfortunately they sold out before I could order any. I'll have to wait until they have stock again.

You mentioned ordering sliders, what are you getting?

I ordered poly sled runners from Mercer's Marine - https://store.mercersmarine.com/products/poly-sled-runners-43892.html

I wanted to get more done last night but I ended up just making the base.

Hauled it out of the basement shop today and build put on the floor, cut the catch holes (made them 11")

Had to contend with a bit of a snowstorm all afternoon. Got about 15cm of snow, so I was constantly brushing everything off. At least it was nice out. -6oC was in a long sleeve and a wool sweater the entire time.
Just funny that it stopped snowing 5min after I decided to call it quits for the night.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:35 AM »
Looks great

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:27 AM »
It is shaping right up!  I wonder if the Cabelas store in Winnipeg might possibly have the covers in stock, or maybe you already checked with them?  Buying the sliders pre-cut like that would be an easy way to do it.  We missed out on your snow yesterday, it petered out just west of us near the ON border, a little more snow on the bush trails would be nice.

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:12 PM »
It is shaping right up!  I wonder if the Cabelas store in Winnipeg might possibly have the covers in stock, or maybe you already checked with them?  Buying the sliders pre-cut like that would be an easy way to do it.  We missed out on your snow yesterday, it petered out just west of us near the ON border, a little more snow on the bush trails would be nice.

Looks like the online store has a bunch, but practically sold out across Canada (in-store) right now. The only thing about the sliders that I'm upset about is that it ended up being cheaper for me to order them from half way across the country rather than buy local. The only real place in town to buy sliders from is a total rip-off, and they only sell 8ft lengths to boot; not only that, but they only had a single slider in stock, and said it would take 3 WEEKS to get in.

Got a lot of cuts done last night, also got the left side of the rear frame done but didn't snap a picture. Wind and snow really picked up last night so I packed it up early.

Gotta go buy some more wood on Monday, and also start building the roof. once that's all done I'll start putting the OSB on.

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2021, 01:04 PM »
So I got my runners in, finally. But I might have to wait for some warmer temperature to keep building! Lately the temps have been -30oC (ambient) and just way too cold for me to work outside.

Offline nanuk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2021, 03:37 PM »
is your bench storage accessible from outside only?

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:37 PM »
is your bench storage accessible from outside only?

No I designed it to be accessed from inside. Just meant to store rods, cushions, blankets, or extra dry clothing. Nothing crazy. Things change as I go.

Offline GrimmCanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:26 PM »
So it's been really cold and we've been getting ton of snow. I haven't been getting the amount of work done as I want too.

Bought a new nail gun and managed to get some good work done today (had to bring it inside to thaw multiple times since the cold was making it stick). Made some additions for wall support, added the top pieces, put up 2 boards. Got super lucky with the step height of my ladder and was able to just use the step to hold one end of the sheet up while I tacked it in on the other side.

By some stroke of luck it's all coming together nice and square.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.