Author Topic: 8 inch auger- 12 inch hole  (Read 1547 times)

Offline jigs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • only those that know enjoy
8 inch auger- 12 inch hole
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:34 AM »

Hey Guys
                  Was out on the weekend for the first time this year and we caught our first fish through the ice.Doesnt sound like much but after 3 or 4 trips without a bite it is a big step.Was drilling 12 inch holes with a 8 inch auger so come home and looked on ICE SHANTY to do some trouble shooting. A quick check of my auger confirmed what I found on the site. Blades were sharp but bent. Lots of information on here for a newcomer.First thing I do in the morning, check the site. Next  year I wont leave my auger in the back of the truck untill July.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: 8 inch auger- 12 inch hole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Must take alot of work to get a hole that big with a dull bent blade :%$#!: :%$#!:
If I'm in a hot hole I will drill 2 deep holes side by side so you have a 13-15 inch X 8 inch hole, then a couple more right beside at one half way down then other 1/4 way down thru ice. That way you have a fairly big hole and a raising landing strip to land the fish.
I usually give a liberal spray of WD-40 all over the blades then put the cover on at end of season.

Offline springer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:00 PM »
Well at least you could pull a BC size fish through it :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2006, 01:54 AM »
After 20 minutes of drillin the same hole with a dull blade, I would be tempted to reach for an axe.....or even fire up the chain saw! :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.