Author Topic: Fire Season or Fishing Season  (Read 514 times)

Offline HolePoacher

• IceShanty Rookie
Fire Season or Fishing Season
« on: Mar 15, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Got in the car today and headed back out in search of the 4lb rainbow I had heard were in this lake. on my way there I had some flashes of what I'll be seeing more and more in the upcoming months...

Sure gets the juices flowing doesnt it!

so onward to the lake.
walked to a different part of the lake than we had visited before in hopes of finding something new and big'r.
drilled a few holes and found the ice to be the entire depth fo the my auger bit although there was some thinner wetter darker spots in the middle and some open water.

dunno if you can see it very well but just out from the leaning tree on the left was some open water. made good and sure to avoid it but fished close enough thinking the water might be well oxiginated and the fish would be active. I was right, slapped a small piece of worm on a  jig head and dropped it down about ten feet. heres what I found in the first 20 minutes

Peamouth, by the droves. couldnt get the line down without getting one. So I fished for another 25 minutes until they had eaten the entire first worm.
45 minutes of fishing 20+ fish on the ice

that was about as much of that as I could handle so I went to my newly scouted spot and drilled a few more holes and fished for an hour without a single strike then wam!
so excited I ripped this guy out of the hole

Darn! another ugly. but species change was nice. so onward I moved hoping the new spot would be the "real trout spot"
fished for 30 minutes and didnt get a bite. then three more peamouth. woo
then when I was getting ready to leave the rod dipped one last time

Rainbow. sorry he's a little fuzzy but had to put it up. finally found one. not 4lbs but glad to find that theres some in there. he was about 11 inches so he went back to grow into one of the monsters I'm looking for.

Another Beauty day on the ice. Hoping it can last until the end of the month.
tight lines all

HP
looking for yesterdays catch to drop my line

Offline HolePoacher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fire Season or Fishing Season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:01 AM »
ugh sorry guys. these photos are of poor quality
looking for yesterdays catch to drop my line

Offline remps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27' Rainbow anyone???
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Always good to see pics, adds a ton to a post. Good luck next time there. I have found that the rainbow fishing this season hasn't been too great, specially in the last 2 months.
There's always a bigger fish... and I'm going to get it!

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 02:04 AM »
Bobtail sucks    ;D      We have to fish you and I,     1 more time before soft water comes

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.