Author Topic: Stainless steel thermos - which one is best?  (Read 75414 times)

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Stainless steel thermos - which one is best?
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I am sick and tired of luke-warm coffee :( >:(
Currently I own 2 stainless steel thermos bottles - one is Thermos brand and one is a generic model from Canadian Tire. They both suck!!
I own a cheap plastic and glass model that is years old and it works great but I am always worrying about breaking it. I have broken a few in past, that's why I bought the steel models.
Now I want to get a new steel model that will work in extreme cold conditions.
Any reccomendations??
Thanks,
Glen

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Stainless steel thermos - which one is best?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Yeah, gimme an old ceramic thermos any day!

I have had both types, and they both have their pros an cons.....

Steel:    Wicks away heat too quickly for use during ANY cold day, but is almost indestructable (ALMOST).

Ceramic:    Holds heat like a miser holds his money, but can crack at the slightest bump (or fall).

All in all I likes my ceramic ones because I was guaranteed hot cocoa all day long, where the steel just turns into chocolate milk in no time!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:18 PM »
I have an old Stanley that I've used for years and does the job well. I also have a couple of year old Thermos Thermax that also keeps stuff HOT all day on the ice....I think the Thermos' outperform my Stanley by a little bit, but the Stanley is 25 years old, too. I always pour HOT water in them before I add anything and let it sit for ten minutes or so. When I'm out on the ice I keep 'em wrapped in a towel, that seems to help insulate them. Just my .02  @)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Nissan, made in Japan. have from one pint to 1/2 gallon sizes. preheat with boiling water, add coffee or whatever. will last, hot for 8-12 hours. Cabala's brand stainless used to be made by nissan in japan. don't know about the new stuff.      bought my 1/2 gallon size one at a local flea market for $3.00.       my 2 cents.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:23 PM »
My fave is the one that you get at Timmy's.  Keeps my tea hot for 16 hours.  Still warm after 24 hours.  There has to be a Tim's in Kenora yes?

Offline polartippah

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "TroyTMG" on MYFishFinder.com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I have the 61 oz. Thermos Nissan.  Keeps my coffee hot over 24 hrs. http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-61-oz-beverage-bottle.aspx

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Love mine:

http://www.fishpondusa.com/timberline-flask.cfm

Christmas present three years ago...had the Stanley classic for years before the Fishpond.

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:32 PM »
I think the trick for the stainless is to preheat it with boiling water :tipup:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Dunno which one is best, but I know it isnt the one I own....
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Stanly is the best fill it with boiling water the night before you use it,pour the hot water out and fill with coffee it will stay hot all day.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:05 PM »
I have 31 year old Stanley Thermos.  One dented up green one and a full just stainless no paint.  Once they lose the vacuum due to shock, dents etc. they are will no longer hold the heat properly.

If you drill a little hole on the top (1/16'') and a 3/8'' hole on the bottom opposite the top hole, (top hole on the left and bottom hole on the right).

Get a can of foam insulation, fill from the bottom hole until it comes out continuous on top.  Then when you use hot kitchen faucet water and preheat it before pouring in the coffee or whatever liquid, it will hold the heat for at least 3 days.  Mine do in very cold conditions.

Oh, use some silicone or Dap shower chalk to seal the holes after the insulation sets to prevent water or moisture from getting in there.  It's a cheaper fix and less frustrating than buying a Thermos every few years.  I did this with an old plastic thermos also but must have fill it too much because it split on the seam after a few uses.  Uses= drops and rattling around in a bucket.

Good luck
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:09 PM »
I have 31 year old Stanley Thermos.  One dented up green one and a full just stainless no paint.  Once they lose the vacuum due to shock, dents etc. they are will no longer hold the heat properly.

If you drill a little hole on the top (1/16'') and a 3/8'' hole on the bottom opposite the top hole, (top hole on the left and bottom hole on the right).

Get a can of foam insulation, fill from the bottom hole until it comes out continuous on top.  Then when you use hot kitchen faucet water and preheat it before pouring in the coffee or whatever liquid, it will hold the heat for at least 3 days.  Mine do in very cold conditions.

Oh, use some silicone or Dap shower chalk to seal the holes after the insulation sets to prevent water or moisture from getting in there.  It's a cheaper fix and less frustrating than buying a Thermos every few years.  I did this with an old plastic thermos also but must have fill it too much because it split on the seam after a few uses.  Uses= drops and rattling around in a bucket.

Good luck

Great tip Quantoson, I might have to try it once mine is a little more "antiqued".
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:20 PM »
I use a Stanley. The one I have now has been bounced around in truck cabs and construction sites for over ten years. They are super durable and will keep coffee hot all day. Beware of knock offs and "improved" models. They are not nearly as good! Accept nothing but the old fashioned, puke green, Stanley vacuum bottle.

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/product/7190 

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Awesome retro fit, Quantoson. 

Mind if I drop my Stanley off for some re-insulation while I visit the the inlaws in Olney this summer?   ???  Just kidding about dumping it on you... ;) but am looking forward to fishing MT again in a couple of months.  ;D

Offline evaxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • vermont jumbo.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Nissan, made in Japan. have from one pint to 1/2 gallon sizes. preheat with boiling water, add coffee or whatever. will last, hot for 8-12 hours. Cabala's brand stainless used to be made by nissan in japan. don't know about the new stuff.      bought my 1/2 gallon size one at a local flea market for $3.00.       my 2 cents.

we do this too! if you have any stainless steel thermos i would fill it with boiling water, seal the cap tight and keep it like that for a few hours, it litterly will hot. i believe we have either a stanley or coleman one.
Girls fish too.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Dunno which one is best, but I know it isnt the one I own....

If the glass ones weren't so delicate, I wouldn't own 3 of these stainless steel, hunk o junks. I may just try foam lining one of these the next time I have a partial can of foam left over.

Offline corksniffer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I dont want to go home yet!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Ceramic is the way to go, just have to be carefull with it!! mines dated 1969 Cool green plaid....

Offline bad1vt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:33 PM »
i've had nissan stianless for years it's the best thermos i ever bought. i don't even have to preheat it.i forgot  it in back pack for two days with coffee in it.when poured the coffee out it was still warm after two days.you my pay a little more for one but it's worth it.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:06 AM »
I have a green Stanely and Black Thermos brand. I think the Thermos slightly out performs the Stanely because I don't have to take the lid off  Thermos to pour but I do with the Stanely. I feel like the Stanely is constructed better compared to the Thermos and its a lot quieter than the Thermos when sitting in a tree stand.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:17 AM »
I use a Stanley. The one I have now has been bounced around in truck cabs and construction sites for over ten years. They are super durable and will keep coffee hot all day. Beware of knock offs and "improved" models. They are not nearly as good! Accept nothing but the old fashioned, puke green, Stanley vacuum bottle.

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/product/7190

This Stanley thermos is thee BEST. Coffee or hot chocolate has stayed piping hot even after a 10 hour day on the ice.

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2012, 02:40 PM »
I have an old Stanley and it works GREAT. Just bought my girlfriend one from dicks sporting goods and that works great too.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I think the trick for the stainless is to preheat it with boiling water :tipup:

x2

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:58 PM »
I've never found anything better than the old glass ones. At .50 to $1. at any yard sale or thrift store, I don't care how many I break. I always have several on hand.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Stanley-preheat it with hot water before you fill it, coffee will stay hot for a long time. My fishing partners have them as well, and we empty one before opening the next one. Once you open them and pour out the first couple cups of coffee they cool off a lot faster.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:47 PM »
I have a qt size old Stanley 35 plus years and qt wide mouth Stanley about 25 years old,always pre heat with boiling water. I've since bought a pint size Thermos,just because a qt is just to much coffee. I've had them stay some what hot the next day.

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:54 PM »
The idea of using spray foam insulation really sounds like the way to go  :tipup:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:31 PM »
i have a THERMOS brand if you preheat it with hot water seems to keep warm late into the afternoon for me.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:38 AM »
the classic green stanely, no joke after being on the ice all day into the evening when i come off the ice the coffee is still hot. mines probably 10 + years old and still holds a great temp....
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:57 AM »
My vote would have to go to the nissan also. Have had one for over 10 yrs, and never had a problem. my only worry is losing it  :)

DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Once you open them and pour out the first couple cups of coffee they cool off a lot faster.

Absolutely with both my Stanley and Fishpond...this needs to be remembered/considered, for sure.  If I wait several hours (with a preheat), both are piping hot for the first couple cups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.